We bought a bobcat 975 a couple years ago, the motor's balance shaft bushing wore out and dropped into the oil pan, and the oil pump picked it up and broke the oil pump shaft. so inturn the balance shaft wore the hole out in the block were it was sitting. So long story short we found parts and got someone to fix it and then found out the balance shaft holes were ovaled and nobody wants to remachine it because they cant 100% gaurantee to elighn them properly. The body and the motor were repainted and sand blasted before we bought it and now we have no full casting or serial number to go off of. We have been trying for 3 years to get a motor but have nothing solid to go off of. If anybody has a serial number for the motor we could have to find a new block or where to buy one it would be much appreicated. We believe its a john deere 276. We have been to bobcat and john deere but the havent been much help. If you have any other question or need more info please ask, im writting this for my husband so it might not make sense, were are just finally out of options so im shooting in the dark. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Have a look at this thread... It mentions that the engine you're looking for is a John Deere 4276d. Hope this helps.
975 will have a 4276 engine in it. even without the sn plate, there should be a casting # on the block. it's been a long time since i've worked on a 4276, i cant recall where the casting # is. from what i remember the number should start with an "R" or "RE". if you can find the casting # deere should be able to find a replacement block. :drinkup
Hey thanks for the info. We found out JD does not make the 4276 anymore and my husband has had no luck with using the casting numbers. They can't find the exact motor to match. So now we are trying to find a rebuild or anything from anywhere to fit and these are the only numbers we have to go on. It's frustrating how nobody can match it. Does anyone know a good company that we could call in North America who would be good at finding a block with these casting numbers? R59790 R54680 R57078 63647t Thanks for everyone's input we really appreciate it.
if i make it into the shop tomorrow, let me do some checking..... :drinkup
I have a friend with a 975 that definitely has a JD Engine, and he has 'pretty much had completely apart and rebuilt' about 10-12 years ago.. He is ~100 miles away from me, and often away for work, but I will see him in next several weeks once wrapped up at the farm ** IF anyone could advise me of 'Where On The Engine' I would be looking for this info (if you do want to know any more/other Casting #'s) I will surely try to assist, and also ask him if he has any source for useful Parts and Pieces too!! ** Bad thing (I would imagine) is that I am in Canada (and about 500 miles North of Billings, MT) if he did happen to have any useful parts.. Oh well, we shall see.. Good Luck there!!
Sorry we need a serial # we have the casting
Bobcan that would be awesome.I believe they are on the side of the block, probably only if it is out. We have casting numbers but we are looking to match them with another block and then get the serial number, ours is worn off. We are willing to get a block shipped from pretty much anywhere in North America just having a hard time using the casting numbers to match it. They keep asking for a serial #. And thanks crew Cheif If you have a chance.
^ I surely DO NOT mind looking, but a 'very specific location' (if known) would be needed to motivate me, as I would not be be excited about poking around looking for misc numbers willy-nilly in the dark, and quite possibly very cold that will be here soon.. and if it truly DID require the engine being removed, THAT would be a Deal Breaker for sure.. HA.. Yup, sorry >> I am a nice guy, and so is he, but not that nice!! I do have a 4ft flexible 'lighted-head camera' to poke in and see what I see, so looking 'where I know to look' is very doable though!!! Let me know what you know, I will help if I can
I will see what I can find to help you, give me a day.
Here is what I have. 0rigional JD was 4276DF which was superseded with a 4045DF I replaced mine with a new create motor which had a turbo on it. 4045TF001. this replacement is 1" longer but is a direct bolt in except for the exhaust output. new exhaust is 4" instead 2". cut your existing muffler on the side and weld in a 4" elbow. I ordered the replacement motor from Emerson Power Products out of Seattle. 800-777-3850 or 206-764-3850 back in 1990 for $4995 plus freight. The adition of the additional 35 HP is real noticeable but rough on the sunstrand pumps after 34 years are kind of week but still working. There may have been a name change on the business to Cascade Diesel sense I ordered back in 1990.
to the OP i havent forgotten about you, i havent made it back to our shop this week (i'm a field mechanic) to do any checking yet :dizzy :drinkup
well the original engine is NLA from bobcat, no shortblocks either. bobcat does list a PN for a replacement engine, but it's over $8000, IF it's available.( it may no longer be available) bobcat's last service bulliten on those engines was dated 1976 deere used those engines in a lot of OEM applications, air compressors, lull telescopic forklifts, generators. your best bet would be find a deere utility/const dealership, and let them try to find a good block. otehr wise you're probably looking at a repower. theres a place called engine rebuilders in north dakota that may be able to help since you are looking for an engine for a bobcat. sorry couldnt be more help. :drinkup