Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat BCIS

Mobilewrench · 2021-04-23 21:38

Can anyone tell me if a bobcat bcis is plug and play or does it need to be programmed ?

Replies37
  1. #1Mobilewrench2021-04-23 21:47

    Sorry, more info. I have a T190 that will not unlock the implement control, no hoist, no tilt. The LCD screen that displays codes is half wiped out. There is no dealership on my island. So if it has to be programmed, I need a work around. Anyone know the voltage on that circuit? I hate to override a safety feature on anything, but I need to.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-04-23 23:14

    Been there done that. Might double check the power and ground at the BCIS. A dealer on the mainland can put a new BICS module on one of their T190 machines, program it, and then Goldsteak it to you on Alaska Airlines directly to the Kona Terminal. I’ve done it that way when working remote. Maybe I should just get my slippas and Aloha shirt and head your direction with my Bobcat Service Analyzer laptop. I’ll check flights.

  3. #3Coaldust2021-04-23 23:18

    Minit Stop Maui Fried Chicken sounds good, right about now. I got a coop-on for a free spam musubi on my loyalty card I need to use before it expires.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2021-04-24 12:38

    That is a good idea about the dealer. I will contact the one I deal with on Monday and see if that is a possibility. Otherwise dust off that aloha shirt.

  5. #5Coaldust2021-04-24 13:30

    If you don’t have any luck, check with Bobcat of Juneau. 907) 523-7920 Ask for: Colter B. [email protected] They are experienced with dealing with challenging logistics. Plus, they are near the airport and will drop off in-stock parts at AK Air Freight the same day you purchase them.

  6. #6Mobilewrench2021-04-27 20:26

    Do you happen to know the plug pinouts for the wiring harness? And if that is a twelve volt circuit or is 5 or 6?

  7. #7Coaldust2021-04-27 21:29

    Mobilewrench, The BICS seatbelt sensor circuit works on 5 volts and the output to the traction lock solenoid is 12 volts. I’ll take a look and see if I can pull up the pin out. What’s your serial number?

  8. #8Mobilewrench2021-04-27 23:19

    531614087

  9. #9Coaldust2021-04-27 23:27

    Copy that. I’ll see what I can do. I tried getting Hallback a wiring diagram earlier and failed miserably.

  10. #10Mobilewrench2021-04-27 23:28

    I think I saw on another thread that you come from gold in Nevada as well. Did my time there before becoming an expat. Round Mountain and Bald Mountain.

  11. #11Mobilewrench2021-04-27 23:29

    Is Golconda near Winnemucca?

  12. #12Coaldust2021-04-27 23:32

    Small world. Winnemucca. Had a single-wide parked on a couple acres of bug dust out the road in Grass Valley during the 90’s boom. That was a lifetime ago.

  13. #13Mobilewrench2021-04-27 23:41

    If you think the 90's was a boom for gold; we must have existed a few years apart. I remember gold being sold at 286$ per ounce. Myself and a couple others fought so hard over pennies that we invented copper wire. One of the most effective ways of getting through that was educating operators that tires cost money.

  14. #14Coaldust2021-04-28 00:09

    I caught the tail end. Just out of a school. The timber industry crashed from the Clinton admin, The Tongass Land Management Plan, spotted owl, hundreds of mechanics and operators out of work on the coast. Wife was trying to start her career. She found the 14 bed hospital in Winnemucca needed an X-Ray Tech. Hospital offered her a $500 dollar sign on bonus and a place to live until we could find a place. The hospital administrator hooked me up with a Oiler position at the Chimney Creek Mine. We packed up our game and headed to the high desert.

  15. #15Mobilewrench2021-04-28 04:25

    Oh, wow... That is pretty funny. I don't know if it was ageism or vanity. I assumed that you were the senior because of your very wise advice about getting the bcis pre programmed. I started pretty early in the Clinton administration. The next thing I learn is that Nige is a steam punk hipster with ear lobe spacers.

  16. #16Coaldust2021-04-28 11:08

    Does this T190 have two controllers? grey one and a black one?

  17. #17Coaldust2021-04-28 11:23

    Or, does the BICS look like this?

  18. #18Coaldust2021-04-28 12:41
  19. #19Mobilewrench2021-04-30 23:10

    I happened to stop by the machine today. It definitely is not by the seat. And I couldn't find anything that looked like that or any other kind of interlock computer anywhere on the machine. So it must be pretty well hidden. Been pouring through the parts book online and the only thing I found there was In the engine Electrical circuitry. Part # 6688439. Is that the bics? Then where is it. The parts page I am looking at has it somewhere between the fuse box and this plug

  20. #20Mobilewrench2021-04-30 23:11

    I am thinking near the hydraulic tank. But I had the tank out of this one in December and don't remember seeing it. Of course I wasn't looking for it then.

  21. #21Coaldust2021-05-01 03:04

    Ok, looks like all the BICS functions on this machine are handled by the Gateway controller. It’s too new to have a separate BICS controller. Might be getting ahead of ourselves. Probably just dealing with a bad seat sensor or door sensor.

  22. #22Coaldust2021-05-01 03:08

    I think the deluxe instrument panel provides some BICS troubleshooting functions.

  23. #23Vetech632021-05-01 08:28

    Since you 2 are the only ones in this thread..........should I leave and give you both more privacy? You forgot to hang a sign n the door! LOL

  24. #24Mobilewrench2021-05-01 20:45

    No deluxe instrument panel. Just the left side overhead with half of the LCD panel wiped out. And no door, so no door switch. As for the seat sensor; I did not test that. But the park brake does release, it might be that I rarely deal with Bobcats, but I very often deal with cat skid interlock problems. As far as I understand, the only way to unlock the park brake without having someone in the seat is to hit the override button (like if you have a backhoe attachment on it.) Is the gateway controller the one I found in the parts book (but not yet on the machine)?

  25. #25Mobilewrench2021-05-01 20:46

    So far it has been just the two of us high desert Nevada boys. But if you have an idea, I would like to hear it.

  26. #26Mobilewrench2021-05-05 16:29

    Found the controller. It is indeed #6688439. Do you have access to the pin out so I can do some testing?

  27. #27Mobilewrench2021-05-08 00:13

    Or does anyone. Wiring diagram, service manual, anything... Beuller?

  28. #28Mobilewrench2021-05-08 00:14

    Bueller?

  29. #29Coaldust2021-05-08 10:03

    Mobilewrench, I’ll see about locating a pin-out this weekend. I’ve been off-line. Covid is still trying to kill me.

  30. #30Mobilewrench2021-06-25 20:32

    This is a bump. See if anyone has some ideas.

  31. #31Coaldust2021-06-25 20:42

    Still broke down? Damn. I forgot what we were talking about. Been off grid for awhile. Have you done anymore troubleshooting on it?

  32. #32Mobilewrench2021-06-25 21:49

    Not really. Got next to it yesterday and think that the only code coming up( remember that I can only see either the top or bottom of the lcd screen ) is a code for a hydraulic temp is high. I have a hard time believing that that locks out the interlock.

  33. #33Nige2021-06-26 21:14

    Sorry to disappoint you but no. I do have friends from NV in general and the Elko/Winemucca area, Bald Mountain & Round Mountain mines in particular.

  34. #34Mobilewrench2021-06-26 21:40

    Small.world Nige. Those are the two mines that I worked at. Bald Mountain on a college summer and winter work program and Round Mountain for 7 or 8 years before I moved to Hawaii.

  35. #35willie592021-06-26 22:40

    I'm a bit late to the thread. Bobcat T190, that's a G series machine, they didn't use a seat switch, Bobcat tossed those things in the F series machines because they were problematic. G series, those machines have a main controller (ECU) mounted behind the sheet metal panels to the left of your left foot if you were sitting in the seat. The main controller either monitors or controls pretty much everything electrical on that machine. In the cab is another computer mounted inside the BICS panel, the left cab panel, that communicates with the main controller for all cab functions, start/stop, parking brake, warning lights, hour meter, etc. And that left panel is critical on those machines for the main controller to communicate with you, that wiped out hour meter display you have is a problem. On a G series machine, if all things are working proper, when you first power up the machine, even before you start it, you should hear one long beep from the alarm in the left BICS panel, that's the main controller doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. Once you start the machine, if at any time you hear three short beeps from the alarm, that's the main controller telling you it's seeing a fault and alerting you, that's when you push and hold down the headlight button to check code(s) at the hour meter display. Once you shut off the machine it wipes those codes clean on next start up. If your hour meter display isn't working, or the alarm isn't working, then you've lost that communication with the main controller. The problem you're having, lift/tilt won't unlock, that's a fault that would most definitely cause three short beeps of the alarm on a G series. I can't recall if the BICS panel is plug and play, but if not I'm pretty sure a Bobcat dealer can provide you with a new one for your machine without much grief. As for the main controller, if you have issues with that, the only persons that can tap in to that main controller is a Bobcat tech as the software to interface with that controller is proprietary to Bobcat techs only.

  36. #36Mobilewrench2021-06-27 18:15

    Thanks Willie. I get one long beep and then three short beeps. I am fairly certain that the code is 07-21. High hydraulic oil temp. I am not very hopeful that that is the issue. Been taking care of this machine for a few years now and I seem to remember that code was always active. Do you happen to know where that sensor is? I see two plugs my the filter housing, one two wire the other one wire. I can't remember if there is a sensor on the tank. There is no longer a dealership on this island. Not even sure if there is one in the state. Been ordering all of my bobcat parts from the mainland for about a year. So I am kind of on my own on this one.

  37. #37willie592021-06-27 20:58

    The sensor at the filter with one wire is the differential pressure switch that indicates filter is clogged, the sensor with two wires is the temperature switch. Might also be a sensor in that area with three wires which would be the charge pressure sensor. I've never known a Bobcat that only locks out the lift/tilt valve because of high hyd oil temp, that typically causes engine shut down by the main controller. Lift/tilt lock out is typically other issues and should have codes related to lift/tilt circuit.