Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat breaker

cdm123 ยท 2010-11-25 11:43

my melroe (bobcat) modle 2500 breaker has broken and i want to know how to properly recharge the nitrogen.any advice would be helpfull.

Replies29
  1. #1RTSmith2010-12-01 09:44

    I don't have my book in front of me- but my breaker doesn't run much pressure. Can't remember if it is 14 or 40 PSI. But it charges with a normal Schrader valve just like a tire. I've been figuring now that tire stores are inflating with Nitrogen, I could just have one of them pressurize mine when the need arises.

  2. #2Reel hip2010-12-01 16:33

    My 2500 has a lot more presure than that. I take it to the dealer or a shop that works on breakers and have it done right. I don't know of a tire shop that would charge it in my town. Is it not hitting hard?

  3. #3cdm1232010-12-01 18:36

    it has two tags marked i think 400 psi and 850 psi. i kind of blew it up with too mutch pressure i think (hydralolic) and if i can find replasement parts i would like to know if ther is an order to fill etc. thanks

  4. #4RTSmith2010-12-01 19:27

    I just checked and my Okada 302 runs 21-28 PSI of nitrogen that fills through a valve stem. Nothing against my dealer, but I bet when it needs more juice, I can get my tire shop to do it for about nothing. My equipment mechanic doesn't do much for nothing . But obviously yours may be different, and based on your last post, you needing more nitrogen may be the last thing you are worrying about. Good luck!

  5. #5bobcatmechanic2010-12-04 11:42

    if you blew it up you need to reseal it which means loosen the tie bolt which are torqued to 600 ft lbs. Unstack all the parts pop the piston out check for damage get seal kit reassemble and get a bottle of nitrogen and the proper charge kit to recharge and go to town

  6. #6cdm1232010-12-05 12:17

    thanks bobcatmechanic the dealer wants over a grand in parts (never thuoght to price a full seal kit) so it may be a lost cause any way

  7. #7bobcatmechanic2010-12-11 02:56

    question for you did they tear into it or is that just hey i want to reseal a breaker what are parts cost and shop labor. if its just that you may bite off more than you can chew and find that when they tear it apart its a grand plus another grand or two for hard parts as in piston and other hard wear parts inside. just from personal expierence

  8. #8cdm1232010-12-24 16:34

    I bought it freshly rebilt from a dealer and have put maybe 40 hours on it in the last tree or so years.but i had a saller (825) machine and up graded to s250 with more hydralic preshure.basicaly it cracked the accumulator plug based on the parts diagram i have.

  9. #9bobcatmechanic2010-12-28 22:11

    are you talking about the small plug or the big one on the front that takes a 2 1/2 in socket i believe thats the size to remove it.

  10. #10cdm1232011-05-21 13:07

    sorry about the long delay yes the large 21\2 inch ish one on the front

  11. #11cdm1232011-05-21 13:09

    The breaker is made by stanley there modle number is 250. now my dealler tells me that parts are no longer available.

  12. #12BDFT2011-05-21 21:13

    Aha! You have a Stanley MB250 breaker. The 850 and 400 psi sounded familiar. Same as I run. As you said, hard parts are no longer available from Stanley. Apparently I can still order seal kits from Westcoast Machinery in Vancouver. If your Stanley dealer in Manitoba can't help you, give Westcoast a call. 1000.00 for a complete seal kit is a pretty good price if it includes all three diaphragms. I'm sure I was quoted more than that. As to your breakdown, I seriously doubt that higher pressure cracked the accumulator plug. I have run my 250 breaker on an 853, S205, S185 and a S300 with no problems. Unless there is an obvious visible crack, you probably just ruptured the 850 psi diaphragm. I have never replaced that diaphragm but I have replaced the top 400 psi one a number of times. I put a lot of hours on my breaker, maybe 500 hours a year, and the 400 psi diaphragm usually lasts 2 years or so before it starts to leak. Not a job for the faint of heart, it requires 600+ ft lbs of torque to deal with the bolt on the top and the four bolts holding it all together. If you have given up on your breaker, let me know, I can always use one for parts.

  13. #13lamgar2011-05-30 14:48

    Repair I just bought one of these at an auction advertised as working, plugged it into my case440 and it it puked oil out of most of the seams. :-( is this worth fixing? recommendations of where to fix in Edmonton? I cant read the label but recognized the model from a picture has the bobcat logo on it.

  14. #14BDFT2011-05-30 21:17

    I imagine it needs a seal kit. Hard to say how much. Probably a couple of thousand at least to fix it. I guess it depends on how much you paid for it. You need to find out what kind you have and what model number before you do anything.

  15. #15lamgar2011-05-30 22:53

    breaker Paid $1000, i'll have to scour it for more info. wasn't pleased with the auction as they said it worked. the guy said it was fine http://www.bobcatoflafayette.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=1255987 looks just like this one. couple thousand for parts or for parts and labour you're thinking? not holding you to anything here just a ballpark.

  16. #16BDFT2011-05-31 04:45

    That looks like a Stanley MB250 breaker. As was stated earlier, hard parts are supposedly no longer available. A seal kit with diaphragms is 1000.00+. No idea what labour would be in Edmonton. If you can't find a dealer locally, give Westcoast Machinery a call.

  17. #17lamgar2011-05-31 09:46

    one more quick question, are these units good breakers? powerful? (worth fixing)

  18. #18BDFT2011-05-31 09:53

    I can't really comment on whether they are "good" breakers or not. I haven't ran any other breakers for any length of time, I am quite happy with mine. I run it on an S185 breaking rock and concrete and driving fenceposts. They are maintenance free until they start to leak oil or nitrogen, then you rebuild them and work some more.

  19. #19fast2011-06-11 00:34

    I just freshened my 2570 last week and I bought my parts from Gorilla Hammers. The guy I dealt with was great, he even emailed me a service manual for parts break down and torque specs. Cheaper than my local dealer and prob had $700 to $800 in seal kit, wear parts and new bit. I would imagine they have parts that stanley says aren't available anymore. http://www.gorillahammers.com/hydraulic-hammer-parts.shtml

  20. #20DGODGR2011-06-25 00:31

    I thought Teledyne bought the Stanley hammers. They are now BTI and may have the parts you need.

  21. #21cdm1232011-07-10 17:40

    If you look at the picture provided by lamgar there is a square acumulator? on the front aproximatly 5" square with 4 allen head bolts this is what has split on mine and i am trying to find a replasement for it.

  22. #22dieseldog4432011-07-13 05:38

    you can not go to a tire shop and have them charge your breaker, that is just stupid. I have worked on Allied, Rammer, Bobcat, Kent, Stanley,and have never seen a breaker with one accumulator that is low pressure. Ex. 1 low pressure and 1 high pressure or 1 high pressure. I just finished one and i hate filling accumulators, you never know if the valve, housing, or hose could burst, but you just have to becareful and inspect your unit as best you can. If i owned a breaker i would buy a charging kit ($200-$500) some come with a bottle and get th right manual for your model and serial number. All of Bobcats breakers are good if they are properly taken care of. The most common problem i have seen is "not storing the breaker properly" do not let them lay down. must be stored standing up to prevent damage to the lower piston seal and piston. when in operation put pressure on tool and grease every 2-4 hours. they are not hard to rebuild, if you have questions let me know. Powerwash off, Mark all parts exactly how they come apart, remove seals, clen all parts , inspect all parts rust/chips/ cracks, make sure parts that are suppose to be free are and ones that are tight are tight *KEY be sure that the piston is comepletely smooth no flaws, if so small defects can be polished out on lathe*. install seals, and assemble bottom to top using white lithium grease on all internal parts and anti-seize on most external parts. let me know if you need any parts i can possibly get them for you. i would fix it for you but you are a little out of my area, lol. questions contact me, here to help. "tire shop, Nasa should fire there mechanics and sub it out to Jiffy lube to save money, right. stay safe. 1 more thing "always discharge the accumulator valve(s) Before disassembly.

  23. #23lamgar2011-07-13 12:06

    how do you discharge the accumilator correctly?

  24. #24KSSS2011-08-22 02:23

    I had a Stanley/Bobcat breaker. I think it was a 3670 or something like that. I broke a lot of concrete with that breaker. It started not hitting very hard. Turned out the accumulator was out of it. I sold it at auction got 2500 for it and put it toward an Okada. They certainly reach point that putting more money into them doesn't make a lot of sense, especially on these smaller units. I don't know if I would say they are disposable but they certainly can be.

  25. #25fencefool2012-03-18 16:39

    bobcat 2500 breaker I might be a day late and a dollar short for this thread but I have a bobcat 2500 and replaced the diaphrams and it works good. I use it mostly for pounding t-posts but oil has been coming out of the bottom by the point. Do I have to replace the diaphrams again if I tear it down to replace the seals and are the seals special or can I take them out and take them to my local hydraulic store to match them up? Thanks

  26. #26cdm1232012-03-18 17:29

    Are you sure it is oil? On mine when it gets warmed up a little grease will liquify and run down the bit.

  27. #27fencefool2012-03-18 18:01

    I'm pretty sure it is oil because the breaker is not applying the pressure pounding t-post as it would if breaking concrete and building up heat. It also will slowly leak when it is stored and I looks light 30 weight which is what my tractor requires. The breaker sat for 4 years before I bought it so I figured the seals were probably dried out. I should have fixed them when I had the diaphrams out the first time but oh well

  28. #28Jbullfrog2022-08-01 15:39

    I just got off the phone with Construction Tool Parts, 800-500-5221. They make the urethane hats and seals for Stanley mb250 and 350 breakers. They also have most of the other wear parts.

  29. #29Jbullfrog2022-08-12 18:34

    My MB250 lays on my trailer when not in use, which means I have to replace the hat and o-ring every 5 years or so. I took it to Titan to get charged and they said it needed the seal replaced, but they can't get them anymore. I bought a newer MB05 to take it's place. I called Stanley to get a mounting bracket to fit it to my excavator and mentioned it was replacing my MB250 that was leaking. They gave me the number for Construction Tool Parts in Portland 800-500-5221 to get my hat an o-ring. They have or make all the soft and wear parts for the Stanley breakers.