Starts and runs fine at low RPMs. As the machine is throttled up code 41-10 is displayed. (Alternator high voltage). Once this code is thrown machine locks out and lights flash and beep. If I simply lower the throttle back to idle the code goes away and machine unlocks. Code is thrown 1400 rpm or higher. Starts fine and runs fine but high RPMs lock the machine down. Do I need to just replace alternator? Checked all ground connections. Any suggestions would be great help!
Welcome to HEF MPD. :drinkup What model Bobcat? I would put a multi tester meter on the output terminal of the alternator and check the voltage output across the RPM range. Just to take a guess at a number, I'd say if that alternator puts out more than 14.5 volts, the ECM is noting this and locks the machine down because on many Bobcats there is a number of circuits that operate on a regulated 8 to 9 volts from the ECM. Excessive alternator output is problematic for the ECM.
Thanks Willie! Thought I would take a meter out in the morning and take a look at the voltage readings. It's a T190. The alternator must no be regulating voltage properly which is why I wondered about replacing it again. This is its second alternator.
I feel ya there, we had a 773G, damn good machine, but it had a habit of failed alternators and parking brake solenoids. Never figured out why, and Bobcat couldn't either. :beatsme A meter should confirm that regulator inside alternator is flipping out or voltage remains steady. I only know if voltage gets too high the ECM will say "oh no you don't!"