Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat compacting attachment

manac ยท 2011-03-05 08:32

Anyone ever use one of these looking to get one to pack a pond I'm building I only have a s185 wondering if it packs very good and are they hard on machines . Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1xcmark2011-03-05 09:59

    I see big time contractors using a vibritory roller on a skid steer to compact soil on most of the jobs around here that require smaller compact equpment , like inside a building for subgrade prep. Most of the soils guy that check compaction say they have no issue getting very good compaction , the key is they vibrate and you dont need a high flow machine to get them to work.

  2. #2CM19952011-03-05 10:26

    I have a Bobcat brand hyd compactor attachment and it works very well for small areas. Never a problem with compaction and the are not rough on the machine but rather rough on itself if you have an inexperienced operator. You have to let the roller "float" and not apply down pressure. The one I have is a mid 2000's model and the bearings are the weak spot on this attachment. I have replaced both sides and now the one on the left side has gone out again.:Banghead Since I am not using it, it's just collecting rust at the moment. When I get back into the game, I'll get it repaired. I ran it mostly on a T190 with a T250 carrying and spreading fill for on-grade garages. Neither machines were high-flow. A S185 shouldn't have a problem running it. Another PITA is the grease fittings for the roller bearings - no doubt a contributor to early bearing failure . There is one on the outside and one on the inside. It takes 2 people to grease the inner, 1 in the machine to raise the attachment off the ground and 1 to roll the drum around to position the fitting so you can grease it. It also helps to have a 3rd person hold the drum in position so the 2nd guy can grease it, you get the picture. Just pay close attention to the roller bearings and how to access the grease fittings on the one that you purchase.

  3. #3manac2011-03-06 20:01

    Thanks for your replies much appreciated , can a 185 run the bigger packer or is to heavy and just stick to the 48'' one . Thanks