Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a nerd on the side, though not enough to be cool. It's a useful habit when troubleshooting most things. So this is the thread where we nerd out about electronics. Specifically, the infamous mid 2000s Bobcat skid steer deluxe control panels. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've been helping troubleshoot a cranky deluxe RH panel on a 06 Bobcat S130 for the last three years. Here is what I've learned: The symptoms include the screen booting up but shutting off randomly before a code can be entered, the screen becoming garbled, and the machine randomly dying. the LH panel will usually flash a code that means something like "Deluxe panel communication error" - The problem is almost exclusively present in warm weather, above about 40F. - If the machine is running, tapping on a certain spot on the back of the RH panel is almost guaranteed to garble the display, stop the machine, or usually both -Every wire in the panel has been tested with a multimeter and all tested good -Contacts are all freshly cleaned, both inside and out of the panel - There are no visible cracks in any circuit board. I checked with a strong backlight. - Bending and wiggling the wiring harness has no effect if the RH panel is held still. - Incidentally, close to the magic "tap to turn off or scramble the screen" spot there is a crystal oscillator. My current pet hypothesis is that one or more crystal oscillators is making at best intermittent contact, causing important clock signals to be missed, thus disrupting the refresh of the display and the clock signal that is (presumably) part of communication with the LH panel. Unfortunately, the part numbers on these crystal oscillators lead me nowhere. This machine will soon have a keyed panel and I will soon be a very happy chappie. But I thought I would post this in case it helps somebody else down the line, or in case somebody with an intimate knowledge of electronics comes by and has something to contribute.
Welcome to HEF Iron Beaver ! When you looked at the board did you look at all the solder joints on the board with a magnifier? I have found many a cracked solder joint that way that I couldn't see with my old eyes.
Ditto MG. Cracked solder joints has been the main issue over the years... There are several companies out there that specialize in the testing and repair of the deluxe key pads from circuit boards, to key pads etc.. Had lots of them repaired over the years.