I have an older 543 Bobcat that I use occasionally around the house for landscaping and repair. It may sit for several months without use. Today it started, ran for about 1 minute and died. I discovered that if I squeezed the fuel primer ball every 15 seconds, the unit would stay running. My question is: should the ball pump up firm? Because is always feels soft and gurgles when pumped a few times. Do I need a new primer ball? Or do you think its more likely a fuel pump, fuel filter or pickup tube/screen? Maybe all of the above! Thanks to all on this forum for their patience and wisdom. Steve
Probable cause on what you have provided would make me think of the fuel filter. It sounds as if the filter is getting clogged.
One other thing, this time of year is icing if you have any water in the fuel system.
I would try a new fuel filter and some lucas or other fuel treatment. And yes the Ball should get fairly firm. You can also break the injector lines loose to bleed any air out. If that doesnt work probably a fuel pump!
This is going to sound stupid, but a couple of years ago I had a 743 to work on that was doing the same thing. If I took the fuel line off the in side of the filter you would hear a vacum sound. I did a little digging around and found an inline fuel shut-off a screw type like the ones found on small engines, it was closed half-way.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums npisteve! :drinkup
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I replaced the fuel filter today. Still the same problem (maybe even a little worse). It will start if I pump the ball primer, and run for ten seconds or so, then will die. If I keep pumping the ball, will stay running. I'm going to replace the fuel pump and primer ball today - see if it helps Thanks again, Steve
Well then while you're in there also double makesure that the lines are not closing up or sucking shut or even clogging.
Another update. The old Girl finally started and ran for 45 minutes after I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and primer ball. However, I only get about 1/2 the RPMs I used to (at full throttle). The neighbor mentioned air in the fuel lines. Is this a possible problem? Another clue may be: the new primer ball will pump up nice and firm, but then less than a minute later will be soft again (when engine NOT running). No leaks evident in the fuel lines anywhere I can see or hear. I'm barely qualified to work on my lawn mower! But I will keep trying as long as you guys have suggestions. Thanks again, Steve
If the primer ball will get firm when the filter and the lines are full, and will soften up while running. I would make sure all air is out of the system first and check the fuel filter again. I had a similar problem this winter with some bad fuel, (It had water and finally found out from delivery guy that they had been hauling bio-fuel in the same truck before delivering to me) I put in additive and went through about 4 filters before I solved the problem. My 300 would run fine for about 5-6 hrs and then would start losing power and If it sat outside in the cold when started would only run at about 1/4 rpms even at full throtle. I think you have air or water in the system.
I would suspect there is air sneaking in somewhere. Check the lines, fittings, etc, see if any are getting old and loosing seal. If you are having to pump the primer if it's sat only a little while, that would be another indication air is getting in, allowing fuel to leak back to the tank.
Another update. If I run a line from a separate fuel tank into the ball primer, the ball stays firm and the engine runs great. Tommorrow I'm going to buy new pickup tube for the fuel tank. Slowly but surely we're figuring it out. Thanks again. Steve
I would also check/replace the rubber line from the tank on through, it may have gotten spongy, and is allowing air through it, or collapsing, starving it for fuel that way.
fuel problem my t190 has a fuel problem that i will post as soon as i get out of my probation period
Good News, finally got around to replacing the pickup tube inside the fuel tank and then she fired right up - and ran perfect. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer some advice. Sincerely, Steve
I had the same problem on mine. take the fuel tank sending unit off the top of the tank and replace the line filter at the bottom of the tank, then prime the fuel injector pump with the primer pump by the large filter, once the machine runs on its own keep it running for a couple hours to lubricate the o-rings at the pump and this should fix the problem. You need to run the machine more often and keep an eye on the in tank filter, they plug up from filling them from fuel cans.
I am having a similar problem within my Cat 268B. I have replaced the fuel lines, fuel pump twice, filter and pick up tube sending unit with gasket. Still having the same problem. Can turn key on with seat bar up and hear pump running. Sometimes will start and run fine for hours, other times will have to repeat priming. Will run and sometimes lose power, will repeat priming and will run again. I am stumped. Seams like rough terrain can trigger the problem. If I shut the machine off and restart it will need re-priming . Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Finally solved my problem. Was reading the operators manual and priming instructions were to turn the key to start, release before engine starts, leaving key at the on position for 1 minute to let the pump cycle. My pump would only run with the seat bar raised and the key turned to the starter engagement position. I was on to something. Searched for the relay for the fuel pump removed it and found corroded connections. Replaced with new relay and coated connections with dielectric grease. Runs fine now and pump cycles in the run position also.
Melroe Bobcat 440 I have a 440 that has a fuel pump on it. For some reason the fuel pump will not pump gas out of the tank. It has never been a problem until lately. I replaced the fuel pump but still won't pull the gas thru. I got a mouth full of gas when I pulled gas thru it but the pump just won't do it. Any ideas ?? Air leak ? Bad gas cap? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks !
OK, apparently nobody has read this site sinece the year 2007 !! I have to do 3 posts so I can start a new thread so here is post # 2 to get beyond my initiaation !
Welcome to the forum crhonda. :usa Rest assured, we read everything that pops up, but for your benfit it would be better for you to get your posts in and start your own thread about your question. That way, you control your thread, and, your not riding someone else's thread. Stop by the new members section and introduce yourself, that will be #3. As far as your question; you said you could get a mouthfull of gas by drawing the fuel line, yuk! But, fuel pump won't move fuel. Given that little bit of info, I'd lean toward replacing fuel pump. Hope that helps.
Thanks for reply. I would love to take it to a mechanic but I can't get it started to haul it !! HA!! I did put a new fuel pump on it and it worked 3 times, but now it won't draw fuel. It is a quality pump...$126.00 worth of quality !! I am going to replace the fuel supply lines and make sure my feed tube filter is clean by blowing air back into the supply line. I'm thinking there must be an air leak somewhere ??? Any help would be much appreciated.
If you blow back through the pickup line you may blow the line off...the newer ones have a check valve on the pickup screen. It's easy enough to remove the pickup line out the top of the tank to inspect it. You may be able to fish the screen end out through the fill opening to have a look, too. Also check the line where it runs behind the tank for being pinched. What does it use for a pump? Electric , mechanical or vacuum? Does it have a solenoid in the fuel line? I can't remember ever working on a 440 for a fuel problem...it has the kohler 2 cylinder gas, right?
Thanks for replying !! It is an electric fuel pump. I will inspect the pickup screen rather than blowing air back thru it..thanks. Also will inspect the line for pinching but has neer been a problem and I haven't touched the lines. I plan to replace the black lines with clear so I can see if the fuel is moving. Yes, it is a 2 cylinder 18hp Kohler Magnum. I recently replaced a head gasket on the back cylinder. The machine ran good for me 3 different times after this work and replacing the fuel pump. The fuel pump still makes the hammering sound but doesn't get the fuel. Should I try placing some fuel in a container and seeing if the pump will draw fuel out of it ?
You could try and pull fuel from a gas can and see what happens. Another thought....some or the older style pickup screens would wear a hole in themselves and allow debris into the line where it would get caught in the fuel shut off valve and stop the flow.
Debris in the petcock sounds logical. I will take a look at the full fuel line system this weekend. Thank you very much for replying...much appreciated !!
My 440 Bobcat lives again !! I found the supply line down in the fuel tank had a small tear in it right where it attaches to the nozzle at the top of the tank. Replaced this line and all other fuel line and it fired right up !! Mr. Fixit Thank you very much for your input. Great forum you guys !!!
Glad to be of assistance.
I think my 753 just dropped a pick up line It only runs when i fill it to the rim and then 20min later it will die. But trying to get to it looks like its going to be fun. Now it likes to do right hand circles on it own lol
On my 440 I can reach in over the top of the filler cap and access the pick up line. When I lift the cab the fuel tank is right there easy to access all lines. Good luck with the circles !! LOL !!!
not sure how to fix the circles may just a linkage adjustment or the valve body is shot. ( hope not don't have that much money to fix) It only has 1000 hours on it for a 2000 i don't think thats alot
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions on that one !! Sounds like you might have a drive gone bad......but trust me I have ZERO experience on that. MrFixitPaul might be able to help.
how do i get to the fuel tank on a 751 bobcat
I don't know your machine but some require you pull the motor as they are in the belly of the machine. Bobcat mechanic can tell you better. Be patient as he stops in pretty regular.
The fuel tank on a 751 is under the engine. What's the problem with your fuel tank that you need to get to it?
Fuel Issue I have an 863 Bobcat that was doing the same thing, I replaced the fuel pickup tube in the tank and that fixed the problem, the tube had a crack in it and was sucking air along with fuel, I talked to a Bobcat mechanic and he said that they this is a common problem.
Similar problem with my 863 and 963! fun fix huh? (Sarcastic of course)
I have a 753G Bobcat. Suddenly, after filling up the tank, I now have diesel fuel leaking down below, where that plate sits with three bolts on it. I pulled the bolts off, and sure enough there is diesel fuel dripping in that area. The grommet plug itself is dry, kind of wish it had been the plug, as it would have been an easier fix it appears. I called the Dealer, and they said there was not "overflow" on this model, so when I filled it it's possible that I over filled it and it just runs down from the fuel cap, and seeks the lowest area, which is this area under that plate. That sounded logical, but the problem is that I have used it enough around the yard here now since filling it, and I am still getting diesel fuel leaking out, so I no longer believe it is related to over filling the tank, if indeed it ever was. I am trying to understand where else diesel fuel can leak from on this unit. There must be a supply line to the fuel pump, and I would think a return line to the tank. Where are these fittings on the tank itself? I am thinking one of these fittings might be leaking, but I am having trouble tracing them to the tank from the fuel pump area. Oh, by they way, hate to admit it, but this unit is only really used in the winter for moving snow around my shop and the odd landscaping project, which is why I have it at my home now. So there are only 269 hours on it, it's in pretty prestine condition and has been relatively trouble free until this annoying fuel leak issue. Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone has on where these potential fuel leak areas might be.
Welcome to the forum TitleTown. My biggest beef with Bobcat skid machines is the location of the fuel tank, underneath the engine in the belly of the machine. There are a number of possibilities as to where your fuel leak is. You'll have to raise the cab to view some of the possibilities. There's a rubber hose that connects filler neck to fuel tank secured with clamps, the clamp at tank could have come loose. It's not often I've seen the grommets for fuel pickup and return fittings go bad, but it can happen. The pickup and return fittings are located underneath the drive pump, kind of a PITA to get to, but serviceable. Another thing I've seen happen with Bobcat skids is over time small rocks and pebbles get inside the belly of the machine. They can locate themselves around the perimeter of the tank, where sides of tank are against machine belly. Vibration can cause these stones can rub holes in tank. Have also seen the main pressure hose from work equipment pump rub a hole in a tank on a T190 where hose was against tank, constant vibration of pump hose wore a nice big oblong hole in the tank. Lastly, you could have a faulty fuel return line going underneath engine back to tank. Both those fuel hoses, supply and return, can be tricky for one person to work with. I hope you have some luck finding your problem.
Thank you Willie. I plan to tip the cab up later today, "again"...lol, and look for these fittings for the supply and return fuel lines. I did crawl under it again, and verify that the rubber plug that is at the bottom of the tank is not leaking, it's dry as a bone. I can see where the tank itself is wet looking, directly under the engine itself, but the area between the top of the tank where it is wet looking, and the bottom of the engine is so small, that it is hard to figure out how that area is getting wet with fuel. Will keep looking, thanks again for the tips.
Having fuel issues. Full tank runs good for 20 min then dies. Is it fuel filler line. If so how do I fix it
i have a 753 with a kubota 2203 in it and i am having a fuel problem with it you have to pump the primer bulb on it to keep it running when you first start it but after about 5 or 10 minutes it will run fine just have to do this on first startup .
My filler tube was the issue on mine. Took it out and replaced it with auto zone gas line hose.
I worked on an older 743B with the same issue. Was an easy fix. The machine ran, but bogged out and died real easily. The previous mechanic played around with the machine before and replaced the line but used whatever was around apparently. I found remenants of the old fuel line, the new fuel line, some rebar, a coat hanger, and some other miscellaneous items in the tank. Oddly enough, when I was on line with Bobcat, the first suggestion they made was to check the tank for debris, and said another very common problem was vandalism, or jobsite "enemies" that put things in your fuel tanks. At least on the 743 you just have to lift up the cab to get to the tank. I'd hate to tackle this on a newer machine. And i know it's an old post, but seems like a common issue.
i had same problem with my 753 and it was the pickup hole in the tank had a small pinhole and was sucking air causing it not to get hard