Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat M-series excavators

245dlc ยท 2010-04-16 12:44

I was just wondering if anybody has tried any of the new Bobcat M-series excavators. I was also wondering if they built and designed the new E-80 machine? Or is it just another rebranded Schaeff/Terex machine? I also noticed they got auto idle finally. Oh something else to mention they have a new teeny tiny excavator called the 418 I guess its to compete with Kubota's K008-3. It's got a couple aces up its sleeves like zero tail swing and instead of levers like that on a tractor-backhoe it's got joysticks. http://www.bobcat.com/excavators/models/418 http://www.bobcat.com/excavators/mseries

Replies17
  1. #1TomG2010-06-15 18:45

    The E-80 and E-60 are made by there parent company, Doosan. The biggest M Series machine Bobcat designed and is building is the E-50. The company i work for has ordered a E-50 and our dealer says we will have it by the second week of July. I would highly recommend that anyone steer away from the E-60. We were looking to buy one and I compared the E-50 and E-60 and the E-50 beats it in pretty much every statistical category. I mentioned this to our salesmen and showed him the comparison, and he showed it to the dealership owner and they canceled there order for all the E-60's and are ordering E-50's.

  2. #2245dlc2010-06-15 19:51

    Yeah I was wondering. I know the 442 was made by Schaeff/Terex and I ran one a few years back it wasn't a bad machine but all the parts came from Europe and the hydraulic fittings were an odd thread size which made it difficult to replace hoses for the tilt bucket. I was kind of hoping that Bobcat had gotten they're act together and manufactured everything up to the E80 themselves. Oh well if I ever do buy myself a mini-excavator I'll stick with Kubota, Komatsu, or even John Deere. Which by the way I ran a "50" John Deere not long ago and for the most part really liked it but the cab was hard to get in and out of.

  3. #3KSSS2010-06-16 09:35

    Although the BC may out spec the Doosan made mini, will it run? BC's credibility in the mini ex. market had taken a few hits over the years. They need to get this M series machine right.

  4. #4245dlc2010-07-20 17:18

    Well I've heard from one source that the E-80's are junk too, damn shame that Doosan bought Bobcat. I ran a 435 last year and wasn't all that impressed by it, I liked the idea of a hydraulic quick change but I don't really like that it doesn't have any commonality with other brands, I was kinda hoping that they would redeem themselves with this new series but they seem to be getting worse.

  5. #5stumpjumper832010-07-20 22:03

    I dunno, I spent 6 months researching mini's before buying mine. Komatsu and Deere make a nice unit, imo better than cat. They cost as much or more as a cat though. In the end I bought a Takeuchi tb53fr because the dealer needed to sell it bad -20k for 70 hrs. & because they are a quality machine and I have the best service for them in the area. I will say this for the tacheuchi fr's, if you offset the boom all the way to the right, you have the visibility of a large conventional hoe, and because the boom goes overcenter and lays back, you can dump in a dumptruck thats right tight to you, and not only can you dump in a triaxle, but you can reach prolly 20' high if you need to...

  6. #6245dlc2010-07-20 22:25

    Yeah we hardly have a dealer for Takeuchi here so I doubt very much if I buy one.

  7. #7KSSS2010-07-20 22:39

    The Takeuchi TB series of machines will spoil you from ever owning another mini. The side to side boom is a great piece of gear. Not only can you dump with ease in to trucks but with the center of balance being the center of the machine you can lift a lot of weight with it as well. Once TK gets the aux. flow up where it should it will dam near be perfect.

  8. #8245dlc2010-07-20 22:45

    How are people liking the Kubota excavators? I see on they're website at least in Canada that they released they're new compact track loaders.

  9. #9Summit2010-07-21 15:07

    I have a 06 KX161-3, bought it new, 24k less than the 305cat and out worked it during the 1 week demo. i was hessitant about buying the Kubota and not the cat at first but it has been an awesome piece for sure. we are looking for at stepping up a size and the KX080 is at the top of our list. i didnt like the takahuchi at all, after 1 day i told them to come get it. didnt try a komatsu or deere.

  10. #10strott2010-07-22 14:58

    Love the Kubota's, I have a K008-3 and a KX41-3. Very smooth, powerful and pretty fast - maybe not as fast as the Tak (never drove a tak - not a fan of the 'basic boxy look', the long dozer blade which could be restictive in tight spaces and lack of little things like fuel gauge e.t.c)

  11. #11245dlc2010-07-22 16:18

    Yeah I'm thinking about maybe the KX008 or a KX41 so I can dig where others can't. lol Also thinking about either a small tracked skid-steer or a wheelbarrow on tracks kind of thing.

  12. #12strott2010-07-23 15:27

    I have wheelbarrows on tracks too!! Great machines to have, an actual wheelbarrow is too small against a K008 e.t.c. you can fill them with one bucket!!

  13. #13245dlc2010-07-23 15:38

    Lol, no doubt I'm thinking about getting into digging swimming pools, ponds, foundation work, and small demolition jobs, so I know I'll need a machine to haul material in and out of tight places, but a Bobcat is nicer when I need to load directly into a truck, so I've got a few things to figure out.

  14. #14strott2010-07-25 16:27

    If you were running smaller kit, you could get a set of ramps to track the dumpers up into the vehicle that you are loading!! (depends how big the truck is though!!)

  15. #15245dlc2010-07-25 19:50

    I suppose if it's a single axle- three tonne or four tonne size. But I think in order to keep costs down I'll probably hire out trucks there is enough of them around here and I know a few people who have they're own. I have even considered the use of conveyors and hoppers. Oh well I've got the time now to figure out what I want to do before I make the big leap in a couple of years.

  16. #16strott2010-07-26 15:26

    Do they have grab trucks for hire in your neck of the woods?

  17. #17245dlc2010-07-26 18:44

    What do you mean by "grab" trucks? Maybe show a picture too. lol