I rented a Kubota KX41-3v today and while turning it on a slight incline the track on the left side came off the rollers on the front. It's still hanging there, but I cant seem to get it back on track. I read on a different post about loosening a bolt w/ a grease fitting. (round hole located 1/2 way between front and rear rollers). Is this correct? Also, is it best to use a come along wrapped around the track to get it to compress once the grease bolt is removed? Thanks, Luni
Here's the post I found that does a little help. just wanting to know if the process is the same
Loosen the grease fitting which is inside the roller frame. You should have an access hole between the front idler and the top roller on the side of the roller frame. This will release the tension on the track. Put the track back onto the machine correctly then tighten the grease fitting. You then will need to adjust the track by pumping grease into the fitting. Good Luck, Quicktrax
Yeah, undo the bolt and compress the idler wheel to squeeze the grease out and slacken the track enough so you can pry the track back on with a bar e.t.c. Retighten the bolt and pump in grease to tension the track slightly, rotate the track to ensure it is fully on and then tension the track until there is 25-30mm of slack betwen the track guides and the roller on the centre of the undercarriage. Then moan at the hire company for not properly maintaining the machine!!
If you didn't get it fixed already, I'd tell the rental company to come out and fix it and credit you for your lost time. They should have had it properly tensioned before the sent it out. Proper PM is part of what you are paying for in your rental fee!
Yeah, if it is a rental, park it and get them to fix it. If the job is urgent, rent another machine. The procedure to check the tracks is in the manual, which I have now got since I managed (well the service manager at KUB Adelaide) to open the door beneath the drivers seat. I have had my KX in some real crappy conditions and yes I have had the track motor relief valves stop the show but have not thrown a track. Either it is poor maintenance or the track tension cylinder has a problem. Either way it is not your problem and I would not use a machine in that condition as it could potentially be dangerous. An excavator relies on it's tracks for stability, if you lose a track in the wrong spot you may well flip the machine on it's side, particularly on slope work.
yeah the rental company should fix it for you, get lucky if you get money back for lost time, they'll blame you but eventually will fix it and you can finish your work
Just wondering do you guys usually fix things like this yourself or pay to get it fixed? Would you use OEM or aftermarket parts if you do it yourself??