Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat M970 (Motor turning over very hard)??

vinrum ยท 2006-12-27 19:25

I just rebuilt my continental 6 cylinder for my machine, I tried firing it today, The starter would engage, but the motor wasnt turning over..I loosened the bolts where the motor mounts to the hydraulics, and the motor turned over, but it was very slow. It was turning over like the battery was weak, so I went out and bought a brand new one and It still did the same..I checked the ground, and that was good, this project has been sitting a while, Could the hydraulic system be air bound, causing the motor to turn hard??? The hydraulic system was drained when the project started.. Anyone with Ideas please let me know Thanks Steve

Replies3
  1. #1Steve Frazier2006-12-28 15:12

    It sounds to me like something is binding up. You should be able to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench on the crankshaft if everything is OK. This is actually a test I do before I attempt to start any engine I've done internal work on. It's better to find clearance problems with the wrench than to cause damage with the starter motor or even have the engine start with internal clearance issues. I'd disconnect the hydraulic pump all together and try to turn the engine by hand. This will determine where your problem is, either in the engine or the pump. A pump with air in it turns more freely than one with oil, so your air bound theory is not valid. Keep us posted.

  2. #2wyldman2006-12-28 16:35

    A freshly rebuilt engine can be very tight until it gets running.If your starter motor is weak,it will show up now with a rebuilt engine. Did you prelube it ? Maybe the clearances are too tight ? Like Steve said,turn it over by hand,and see what is binding up.Maybe the pump isn't aligned properly with the motor,causing the binding ?

  3. #3vinrum2006-12-28 18:59

    Thanks guys I took the starter off tonight, and had it tested...The company said it had a short in it, and the bendix gear was real loose..I am getting it rebuilt , I will let you guys know how I make out.. Thanks again Steve