so i cant hook up my hydraulic hose- i turned off the machine and pressed the pressure release button and tried i had vehicle running and pressed the pressure release button and nothing happened. i took the equipment side coupling out of the block and couldn't get the flat face to compress. is there anything i can try or is this coupling just shot?
What are you trying to hook up? You might try cracking hoses on the attachment.
Grapple bucket. If it won’t move removed from the machine then cracking a hose isn’t going to help- Removed has zero resistance But I will try anyhow to see
I don't think I have encountered that with the grapple but I can't say that for sure. Cracking hoses is my go-to so it is mindless for me and I don't pay much attention to when or what it happens on and I don't use the grapple much. my 4-1 is a constant pain, Is it both couplers or just one. I have had the ones on the machine "stick" sand, dirt and grime get in this little balls. I like free all for a penetrating oil works great doesn't smell like butt and I can get it at O'Reilly's
I try to make it a habit to make sure that the pressure is released, before you unhook the attachment. That helps when it comes time to hook it back up.
What KSSS mentioned is paramount. You need to make sure all pressure is released when you unhook grapple. You also need to ensure grapple is fully closed as pressure will build as gravity pulls it down when unhooked. The other issue is temperature differentials. If you unhook on a cold day and try to re-hook on a hot day, pressure can build from the expanding oil.
It’s just the flat face on the machine side. Crack a line on attachment side or machine side?
The attachment side, it is likely there is pressure in the attachment
Sometimes you can get one coupler or the other to connect. If you can do that you can do the pressure relief procedure for your machine and the other coupler will then possibly connect. Often it's quicker to crack a line on the implement side...
I just did one 3 weeks ago on a Deere 332G that the coupler on the machine was junked. It only had 100 hours but was still junk. We could not in 1/2 hour disconnect it off of a grapple so had to cut the machine end collar off with a die grinder. Then it was totally clear what the problem was, the surface inside was badly brinnelled and had to buy a new machine end coupler, and a new grapple end male coupler. Think it was like something around $350 parts to get it 100 % again. Might be your problem. Simon C
I have had that issue with my back blade on my tractor. I take it off in the cold and may not use it again until the hot weather arrives. I have to remove the pressure on the implement side in order to make the connection.
it will be a couple days till i try it- what makes me wonder is if it is pressure on the attachment then why when i take the couple off of the machine why cant i depress the center of the flat face? shouldn't that be with zero resistance?
Not really. Those are designed so someone doesn’t do that and get their eye shot out. Can you connect it to the other end of the grapple, if you crack some pressure off? They do go bad.
Have you ever driven over your hoses and pulled side ways hard on the coupler? I did once, and the coupler was nothing but trouble after. Something got miss-shaped I guess.
havent been back to the machine to try to resolve this yet.....
I can't imagine swapping from one attachment to another all the time without using one of my hydraulic connector clamps.
what is that?
It is what I stated. Here is a pic. Get the size you need and you'll seldom, if ever, change attachments without using it.
I have a setup for ag connectors on a tractor and it works to bleed attachments. I see that one has come out for Flat Face. I have not tried them but seen the advertisement. Maybe some one has used them and can chime in. ISO 16028 Flat Face Skid Steer Relief Tool - All Sizes Relieve pressure on ISO 16028 Flat Face hydraulic quick couplers for skid steers & mini excavators. All sizes, male and female, in stock — ships next day. www.tractorrelieftool.com $265 looks stiff but if it works might save some grief and mess.
The clamp set I mentioned will work on a number of different size fittings for 100 bucks or less.
I just bought this one but I javen tried it yet. My 4-1 on my skid and the hammer on mini are both a pain in the *** so I am hoping this will eliminate that
All our CTLs have Saturn block manifold, either the early style with "floating" couplers, or the the later style with the toggle. Either way, hookup issues are never the machine side with the Saturn block on there. As for attachments holding pressure, there is a male ff coupling that allows coupling under light residual pressure. And it does help on the attachment side. I get them from Summit. You can see the length difference in this image of std vs couple under pressure.