Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S250

IceHole ยท 2023-08-16 12:09

Early 2000s S250 Bobcat that I've had about 10 years. I normally use it for moving logs, but I got a set of fork tines for it last year and realized quickly while using it to pull an engine that the lift arms drift down fairly quickly. I'd guess 1-2 inches a minute, maybe a bit more. I have a regular forklift for most of the forklift duties, but it'll about get stuck on a damp fart, so the skid steer is handy for off road forklifting. I repacked the lift cylinders when I bought the machine, since has maybe 2000 hours on it. They don't leak externally, lifts loads fine. I'd rather not rebuild them in the hope that it'll fix this unless I know for sure. A new spool valve is around $3500.

Replies4
  1. #1ozarkag2023-08-17 19:47

    As you have discovered, a skid steer does not have anti drift valves, like a forklift or crane. That drift rate sounds normal, and is likely in spec

  2. #2IceHole2023-08-18 13:09

    Not sure if there is a spec, but it wasn't like this when I bought it 10 years ago. I'd be afraid to get out with the bucket in the air as it'd probably rip the door off as the arms drift down.

  3. #3ozarkag2023-08-18 15:18

    Use the forklift to hold arms up, cap off one cylinder at a time and see if it will hold. Then cap both cylinders. If you only have one cylinder leaking through capping both can give a false result, as the good one will hold it. If doesnt leak down with cylinders capped it is a valve issue, but could be emergency lowering or self level valve as well as the main spool valve.

  4. #4crewchief8882023-08-18 17:05

    my 1st guess (without pulling the cylinders apart) would be to make sure the pedals ( if it's a manual control machine) arent sticking/rusted 2nd would be the emergency boom down valve cartridge is leaking, or the stem is stuck