Hi guys. I have a 2003 Bobcat S250 with a log grapple on it. We use it for loading logs onto a firewood processor. The problem we are having is the grapple will start to act weird. Either it will go full open or closed on it's own, or won't do what is commanded. It's controlled by a side to side toggle on the the right hand steering lever. Often when this happens, the machine will beep 3 times and an exclaimation point light comes on near the key. I need to get this fixed, it's annoying not to mention dangerous. Any ideas where I should look first? A switch issue? Wiring? Solenoid? The machine has about 3200hrs about 7 0 of those with the grapple, the rest with just a bucket.
Forgot to mention, I did some searching on the beeping and I'm told it's a "ground fault error". I'm not sure exactly what that means though. I contacted the local Bobcat shop, but they are booked out for a couple weeks. This is our busy season so I can't loose my machine for very long.
does your machine have a seven pin connector by the auxiliary hydraulic hookups mine was doing some crazy stuff and I opened the back door and unplugged harness going to seven pin connector that fixed mine
No it doesn't. I bought this machine used this spring, I think it was mainly used with a bucket and that's it. I'm not sure if that 7 pin comes with any machines or just is added on with some attachments? I've ran a few others that did have it, snowblower, street sweeper, brush hog, all used the 7 pin. My machine has 2 larger hydraulic connectors which the grapple are running on and then a smaller one in the middle that isn't used.
seven pin connector is a option that's the only problem I ever had with mine so I don't know what to tell you might check all the ground wires hooked to the batteries but I just came up with that from your code explanation
Did you check your fault code/codes when it beeped?
How is that done? One button on the left side says hold for codes, but it doesn't do anything.
In other contexts, a ground fault is current leaking to ground, or possibly in this case some wires messed up so bad that the "signals are getting crossed". I'd start at the switch, see how much it will come apart so you can clean, or blow it out, follow the wiring harness back to the valves if possible, look for any damage to the harness or signs of overheating on the exposed ends of the wires, swelling, discolored, melted... Then look at the valve body (as best you can) I've never noticed a ground wire on a solenoid, but if there was one with a loose ground connection, that could cause your problem. How often will this happen and when did it start? If it's not obvious after all that, it might be easy to attach a wire/test lead to each of the solenoids to see what's getting power at the moment it's acting up.
Started about a month ago, maybe once a week it would beep, but I couldn't figure out what the issue was. Checked the fluids, temps, etc and all was fine. Googled it and it talked about a ground fault, so I cleaned the battery terminals. Now it is doing it 5-6 times a day and the grapple has a mind of it's own when that happens.
The battery ground would probably affect starting and some other stuff. I'd be looking at where the solenoid valve grounds to the frame, and all other electrical parts, like Delmer said.
I have no idea where that solenoid is though. I have the service manuel for the machine but it's about the most useless book I've ever owned.
As soon as it beeps, stop what you're doing, don't shut off engine or change anything. Push down and hold down that button that says "hold for codes", that will give you the code/codes of the fault that caused the beeps.
Thanks! I don't get why the book can't say that. Actually there is no mention at all in it about trouble codes.
Just follow the hoses back from the grapple (easy for me to say huh!)
Haha. What I'll end up having to do. I imagine I'll have to lift up the cab. For the joystick (I guess that's the right term?) is there anywhere I can find out how to pull it apart? I'm not seeing any obvious way of doing so. I'm going to start at the switch and go from there.
If you're talking about the control knob on the right drive lever, they're not really designed to take apart, and even if you get it apart the switches are non-replaceable, have to purchase the entire control knob. You need to get the code/codes that is making it beep.
Lol... yeah, you got that right. This might be a little better... seems to have the codes. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-YHYDQ&usg=AFQjCNF4v2BJUdyO2zr4PR1I88xjXtz8zg I think it's about 150 pages, 5.2MB... but I didn't read it all. Or, look at the bottom of page on Google... http://www.google.com/search?q=bobc...eG4HW2AXI6oGICA&start=0&sa=N&biw=1106&bih=877 OCR
Code 12-22 is what comes up. front auxiliary thumb paddle switch out of range, low. Sounds like it's the switch? Anyone know what the "handle" is called by Bobcat? Ideas on how it comes off? I will order in one, but I haven't been able to find anything online, probably not using the right termn.
It's not unusual for the paddle switch or the rocker switches to fail, you have to replace the entire control knob unit with the switches. The only place I know you can get them is Bobcat.
Yeah I have one ordered in from a Bobcat dealer online. I had to give him the cereal number and photos, I guess they have all sorts of different ones? I've only run this machine and a couple 753s (I think that's what they were... one was like mine, foot controls, the other was pimp with hand controls and foot and power wedges!)
Valleyfirewood, I was curious about cost on the paddle switch control what is bobcat asking price for this part ,as I have t 190 that is starting to act up it hasn't indicated any codes to me yet but its reaction at times is erractic. so i am looking at a possible failure it,s working at the moment, but you never know when it will error. I notice it when I am working grabble and auger.
I was able to get the whole thing (not serviceable) for $220. Not horrible I guess, though I'm surprised it failed with only about 3000hrs on the machine and only about 70-80 with the log grapple. (previous owner JUST used the bucket and that's it)
I . feel like you my machine has 2930 hrs. I have used my log splitter quite a bit but I just lock it in to continious flow ,as I have have control valve attached to log splitter. I was thinking about putting some electronic cleaner fluid to toggle. Don't think it would hurt anything .my unit is not left out exposed to the elements. Its parked inside. But thats not to say its not been in the rain occasionally. well, let me know your outcome, see if you get a fix. thanks much ValleyFirewood.
My machine has never been inside other than for a couple days while I painted it and worked on it. It has an enclosed cab though. I've never even seen an open cab machine up here, no fun at -30*