Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat s530 Auger problems

rohlinmt ยท 2015-06-20 22:05

Hey guys, I've rented a Bobcat s530 with a 12" auger attachment for a weekend project, but I'm having a major problem: The auger gets about a foot in the ground, then just spins there. If I lower the arm more to drive the auger deeper, the front wheels of the bobcat raise up off the ground, and the auger stays where it is. :Banghead Is there something simple I'm missing? Should I try wetting the area I'm digging? (it is very dry where I am) I've tried all over the property, so I know it isn't a big rock or tree root I'm hitting 1 foot below the surface. Thanks for your help.

Replies4
  1. #1pondo2015-06-20 22:54

    sounds like very dry hard pack soil. A different tooth setup might help. Or just sharpen existing teeth. I never believed sharp teeth would cut dirt. But makes world of difference! Also try tipping auger out of level to start, but bring back plumb as soon as it starts digging!

  2. #2bobcan2015-06-20 23:33

    Yeah, I would think that IF the teeth are kinda dull (or missing _ or even an auger without any) you may have to Add Water _ sadly you will get Mud instead of nice dry dirt coming up, but you should be able to DIG at least _ Good Luck!!

  3. #3Z28982015-06-27 11:29

    Can you drill a smaller pilot hole first? 12" is pretty large. Z

  4. #4monster762015-06-27 13:30

    I use these style bits and i have a 6 9 12 24 36 for mine with no problems even with the 36 drilling holes in lime stone for tree work