Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S70 and alternatives

oifla ยท 2021-03-07 19:05

hello all i am looking for a compact machine very much like the Bobcat S70. what are some other small (compact) skid steers? to explain my needs a bit more, the 36" width is ok but I'm more interested in a shorter machine. i get into spaces between houses and the extra length and weight of the bigger machines make them impossible. I'm looking at the S70 but there aren't too many available in the used market, if there are other models from other manufacturers, i'd like to consider them as well. thanks everyone O.

Replies13
  1. #1NepeanGC2021-03-10 20:00

    ASV RT-25 is the only one that I know that comes close to the S70. It's 48" wide though. You've got a lot more options if you're willing to go to a stand on mini track loader like a Bobcat MT-100, a Toro Dingo, or a Vermeer

  2. #2Zewnten2021-03-13 00:19

    For shorter I think you'll have to get a stand on machine. Ditch witch machine was way faster than Toro travel wise but much slower running a tiller or trencher.

  3. #3oifla2021-03-13 08:24

    thanks - that's a nice looking machine but i'm primarily looking for something used

  4. #4oifla2021-03-13 08:25

    what model Ditch Witch? i don't really need implements, it will be bucket work almost exclusively. thanks

  5. #5Zewnten2021-03-15 00:24

    Not sure was few years ago but it was the non emissions model, 25hp

  6. #6oifla2021-04-28 10:52

    Still working my way through this search. Several things to note: skid steer manufacturers don't seem to care too much about this segment. I'm guessing it's less profitable to make smaller machines. It doesn't seem they've branded them effectively and/or haven't developed a solid category to set them apart from their much larger / stronger counterparts. I haven't found too many alternatives. Basically, older units like a Deere 90 are too old for my purposes. I also don't want air cooled. Other than the S70, I also found a that a 453 and a 463 fit what I'm looking for. Aside from those Bobcats, no other smaller models jump out. Will keep looking. o.

  7. #7Tampa4502021-06-06 09:24

    I have up a 2005 463 that i got about 5 years ago. The 463 is the same as the s70. I think they started calling it s70 in 2008. I did a lot of research but i liked the 463 because you can sit down in it, its faster, and it dumps higher than the stand on ones that were available at the time. (one of my dump trailers has 4ft sides) Now the newer stand on ones have 1000k + ROC , and telescoping booms. They also cost the same as a full size machine tho. I love my 463.. especially if you consider i got it for right under 10k I can load the front of my dump trailer up, back the 463 up the ramps, lift the bucket, do a 180 , then set the bucket down on top of the dirt or sod in my trailer.. The 463 / s70 only weighs about 2200 lbs also

  8. #8oifla2021-08-05 09:46

    thanks - i like the smaller ones for the very reasons you outline over the stand on ones. too much $ for a new machine! i searched and searched for a small machine and the best i could do was one that wasn't that small. i ended up with a Bobcat 743. well used with some known issues (bad seat, creeps, etc) but it looks like its been well cared for. o.

  9. #9MarkerCr72022-06-20 10:52

    Hello, I recently conducted some research. Actually, I'm a little perplexed. The Bobcat s70 appears to be a decent choice, but the s100 and mt85 appear to be viable alternatives.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2022-06-20 11:37

    The little new hollands are good to l250 and ls120 are gas and generally cheaper and l255-ls125 are diesel the one in my profile pick started life as a ls125.

  11. #11MarkerCr72022-06-21 01:56

    Thank you for your helpful suggestions .

  12. #12Skidx2022-08-04 17:41

    Bobcat 443, 453 and 463 were actually refurbished and renamed bobcat s70. The old models, if found in good condition, are no different from the bobcat s70 .

  13. #13crewchief8882023-06-22 18:16

    99.5% of the used 453, 463, and s70's around here have belonged to demolition companies. they are beat to death by the time they get rid of them