Hello, I purchased a 2013 Bobcat S750 from an auction. Auction description said engine was locked. After getting it home, I confirmed that engine would not turn over. Removed drive belt for hydraulic pumps and belts for AC compressor and alternator. Engine would still not turn over, removed starter to confirm it is operating correctly off of machine, which it was. Tried moving engine with prybar on fly wheel, would not budge in either direct. Next steps will be to pull the injectors to get a look in cylinders. Just have to get it off trailer first and into the shop. It has a Kubota V3800-CRTE4CB Interim Tier 4 turbo diesel engine. The questions I have at the moment are, anyone have any tips on what I should look into next? Anyone have any experience rebuilding these engines or know common issues with them? Thanks for the help,
You could cut open oil filter and see what's in the pleats. There are some videos on utube on how to do this correctly. This may give you some insight as to what's happened.
Good idea, definitely take a look at that. Thanks
Just to post an update on current progress with engine. I now have it out of the bobcat and on an engine stand. I have pulled the oil pan, timing cover and lower crank case. I can see that the one main crank journal missing is half missing and chewed up. The metal from the bearing getting chewed up has caused two other main crank bearings to spin. I believe one of the rod bearings are seized due to heat discoloration on crank. Next steps will be to pull the head and pistons to assess if they were damaged. Anyone know if it is possible get the block machined for the crank bearing holders or if I'm going to be looking for a new block? Thanks
I would think you need to take it to a good engine machine shop to see if it's reusable.
Yeah that is my current plan. Just trying to find a machine shop in Ontario now to do it.
If a main bearing is spun you will likely be needing a new block. There is no easy way to repair that. A used block should be readily available, in large part because seems Kubota did not melt down warranty engine cores.
From talking to a machine shop today that is what I am thinking, I'm going to have to do. I am seeing lots of v3800 blocks around just trying to figure out which one it is that I need now. Are all v3800 blocks the same??? Would anyone happen to know how to identify the Kubota part # for the block? I have the bobcat part# but having trouble linking it.
If your Bobcat number is 6698544 that is Kubota 1J551-01012
The bobcat number I have is 7024361
Block might be repairable depending on the damage. Cast cylinder heads can often be repaired so can't see why a block couldn't be possible to repair.
The bobcat number I have is 7024361 Sorry, that one doesn't cross as easy. There are only several differences that I am aware of in the V3800 blocks. Fuel pump mount and front cover design for one. Would be safest to source a used block from a Bobcat, but with a bit of care no reason another one couldn't work as well.
Yes I have the service manual from bobcat. I already have the engine out and partially taken apart.
Thanks for looking. Yeah I have found a few different used blocks online and they all look very similar with only a few differences. Think I have it narrowed down to one or two. Ordered a crank shaft today, just need to find a block now. My local bobcat dealer has been less then helpful, really pushing me to buy a remanufactured engine for it which they quote $31k for just the engine assembly. When I first reached out to them about finding parts they said they haven't had anyone rebuild a motor in over 15 years. I might try reaching out to another bobcat dealer to see if they can help me track down a used block.
Just to give an update on current progress. I have the old engine all torn apart now. Have received the replacement crank shaft and now just waiting on the block I purchased to come in. Everything looks good on the other parts I removed apart from some scratching on the one piston skirt, probably still usable but going to replace it since I already have it out and will re-ring the other three pistons while I have them out. Camshaft looks good apart from some very light scratching on the center journal point, will just give it a light buffing.
Hello, all picked up the brand new block from bobcat yesterday. Was a bit surprised how it was shipped from the warehouse. It was wrapped in a tarp in a box with no oil or anything on the surfaces just fresh metal. Was going over it today and not very impressed considering how much I paid for it. Found a few scratches on the deck and rust in the main gallery going from oil pump to filter. I have attached pictures. Do you all think the scratches will be an issue? They do catch my fingernail and go to the cylinder.
I'd see if the warehouse has another one and have it packaged properly and sent pronto! No way I'd accept that unless it was the last one on the planet at no longer made and they gave a 20% or more discount. I'm sure there would be some customers that would want to throw it back over the counter into the garbage bin. I'm guessing it was several hundred dollars. I ordered an aftermarket drive motor and it came well packaged with form fitting Styrofoam and there were signs it had oil in it. Only thing missing was an o-ring on one of the port caps. Not a big deal because I used one from the old motor. Wouldn't have been a big deal to get an o-ring though. You shouldn't have to polish or get new hyd. components re- surfaced to ensure they don't leak. How is it stored that it gets rust around the dowel pin?? Looking at it again the machining in the 1st. pic. doesn't even look consistent. It's got the scratched look and the bigger scratch but to the left doesn't look machined at all. Where's the quality control?
I didn't look back and realize this is an engine block. Maybe it gets machined to final flatness after measurements are made with the head, pistons and head gasket etc.? I'm surprised no one else has commented.