2008 Drives each track forward/reverse in both H and ISO modes, Aux hydraulics work. Initial code 40-28 "right joystick internal failure". Also 32-76 "ACS CAN joystick information error". Green "Press to Operate Loader" button and light work; responds with normal reset when any functions are changed. Seat Bar light works Lift and Tilt valve light will not come on; flashed continuously at one point (low/high battery voltage?) but battery seems strong. Parking brake light functions normally. Computer screen has "ACS" and "!" icons showing. Fuses all OK. Swapped one possible relay, no change. H/ISO functions change joystick operation as expected for drive function; no lift/tilt ability in either mode. Swapped joysticks; both operate same in either position; eliminating joystick mal-function for the moment. Checked exposed wiring beneath cab for shorts or wear, nothing found yet. Borrowed machine, only known history - "lift/tilt don't work" - only have operators handbook for now. Three normal beeps at startup. One quick flash of lift/tilt light, might mean code 17-07 "hydraulic valve solenoid open circuit" I see what appears to be two solenoids (squarish shaped with ridges?) in the valve spool area whose wiring looks OK. Haven't yet found something that looks like the (master?) "hydraulic valve solenoid" if there is one?. Seems to me that the "computer" has "locked out" the hydraulics for some reason, by disabling a "master solenoid." As I'm new to troubleshooting Bobcats, I'm hoping for some suggestions and guidance. A service manual is on the way.
Are the 3 codes you mentioned all currently active? The master "BICS "coil is located in the center on the side of the main hydraulic valve, in the midst of pipes/hoses.
Thanks for the reply, found the BCIS coil. 40-28 and 32-76 remain consistently active. I associated the single "lift and tilt" light "blip" with 17-07 from a table in the operators manual, it does not come up as an error code as the other two do. I will verify that the BCIS coil has continuity. I'm not sure how I can test for the other errors, other than the joystick swap already performed.
The BCIS coil measures about 9 ohms. Its supply wires measure about 9k ohms looking toward the controller. I tentatively conclude not an open circuit there. I've read may relevant posts but cannot remember what CAN stands for. I made a further check of the exposed wiring under the seat but still find no evidence of breaks, chafing, unusual wear, animal activity, or Acts of God. Not sure what next other than find the address of the nearest Bobcat service center which is not the way I've spent 75 years fixing things.
Controller Area Network. Basically the wires in the machine harness through which the signals are transmitted/received between the various electronic controls. Usually those particular wires are easy to identify because they are in twisted pairs.
Those 2 codes both relate to a joystick failure. Those joysticks are CAN addressed, so swapping plugs does not swap functions like you think it should. I'm surprised the machine will operate at all, although sometimes with one joystick bad the other will still work till you move the bad one and code out. A new joystick should resolve those codes. Or remove and send to Iscocell to rebuild.
Thanks ever so much. The individually CAN-addressed joystick is very interesting and makes sense. I will follow the joystick lead and the rebuilder.
Took advice and sent to Iscocell with about one week turn around. They found burned out component(s) and the Bobcat now works normally. Standard fixed repair price for joy-stick controllers about $650, with about $120 each way for ground shipping. Thanks again for all the suggestions.