Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T-250 drive issues

Cummins53 · 2023-08-14 18:54

05 t250, suddenly quit moving on right drive. Capped off drive pump and machine doesn’t bog down. I suspect the drive motor is okay and it is a pump issue. No prior issues or noises with the pump prior to this happening, machine ran great. Checked hydraulic filter and case drain, all are clean. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? Drive pump solenoid? Any help would be appreciated! I might add this is a joystick machine. Nothing changes from iso to h pattern no response from the joystick in either pattern for the right drive.

Replies11
  1. #1ozarkag2023-08-14 20:04

    Does the loader still lift, etc.? It is unusual that half of the pump would suddenly fail, and the other side still work properly. Not likely to be electrical/joystick if a. The left side still drives. B. No codes are active. But could possibly be in the control portion of the right pump.. Mostly thinking out loud here.

  2. #2Cummins532023-08-14 20:18

    Everything except the right drive worked when I was messing with it trying to figure it out before. Until Tonight, I fired it up and after running it for a minute or so code 05-14 pops up along with the hydraulic warning light then it shuts down and code 05-15 pops up which I believe are both charge pressure related codes? And now the loader won’t lift/tilt but the left track still drives. Still nothing out of the right drive.

  3. #3ozarkag2023-08-14 22:29

    Why I asked if the loader still works is because there is a coupler internal in the hydro pump that couples the left and right main pump groups. The left pump is first, driven off the belt, then the right pump and the loader/ gear pump last. This coupler failing is one of the only ways I know that half a pump can fail. But if the loader was working after the right side quit that theory won't hold water. A failed coupler would most certainly cause low/ no charge pressure, to the point that the left side should really not work. Do you still have the right side capped off? Do you have the keyless start panel to read charge pressure in real time?

  4. #4Cummins532023-08-15 06:47

    Yes, right side is still capped off. It has the standard panel

  5. #5ozarkag2023-08-15 08:50

    Does your machine have the hydraulic cooling fan? If so does it spin when th engine is running? What we are trying to do is see if we can verify if the gear pump is even turning, or if the internal coupler has failed.

  6. #6Cummins532023-08-15 17:43

    Yes, fan is turning. Is it possible that it could be the pressure relief valves on the side of the pump I’m having issues with?

  7. #7ozarkag2023-08-15 18:05

    Could be, would be a separate valve for forward and reverse. So seems a stretch. Could possible be in the solenoid control portion of the pump? Maybe someone else can chime in that has had experience.

  8. #8Cummins532023-08-15 18:12

    This thing has thrown me through a loop. The only thing I can come up with at this point is as you said possibly in the control portion of the pump or maybe a valve. Thanks for the help!

  9. #9ozarkag2023-08-15 22:26

    Check your hydraulic filters, see if you can spot any metal or brass debris. May need to cut the filters open, if it has a fan filter make sure to check that one too. I'm thinking it almost has to be internal pump failure. With one side not driving and charge pressure loss, no codes and gear pump was/is still turning.

  10. #10Cummins532023-08-18 13:43

    Checked filters, no debris all looks well. I ended up swapping the drive pump solenoids. After doing so the track that I wasn’t having an issue with before (solenoid that I suspect could be bad now on that side) tried to take off immediately and shuts the machine down. Swapped them back to how they originally were and it’s back to how it has been before. Could this possibly indicate that the solenoid is in fact bad? I know that the solenoids are most likely unrelated to the charge pressure issue. But the charge pressure issue never occurred for the longest time while having this problem with the right track not moving up until recently. I think that might be a separate problem

  11. #11Cummins532023-08-18 19:44

    Thinking I may of not gotten the pin in the hole I took it apart again. However when I took the side off I’m having problems with it was full of oil. Side that is good was not. After swapping them from side to side again still ended up with the same results as the first time. Pin was where it was supposed to be. Photos attached