Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T190 bogging down under load

nepondguy ยท 2013-05-28 13:05

Hi everyone. First off I am new here so I appreciate any and all advice and hope to kick in my two cents when I can. I have a Bobcat T190 (era 2001) that has just started acting up on me. It starts up fine and idles strong but as soon as I attempt to move it bogs right down. It has been doing it for a few months now but always seemed to be better once it warmed up. Now it seems to be taking longer to improve if it even does. I would love to try and diagnose/ fix what I can before taking it on for costly repairs. Thanks in advance!

Replies15
  1. #1nepondguy2013-05-28 19:37

    Is there anything obvious that I can check, change, etc? Would a new fuel filter or hydraulic filter possibly fix it?

  2. #2willie592013-05-28 21:13

    Welcome to HEF nepondguy. :drinkup Is the engine RPM dropping? Or is the machine drive power stalling while engine is holding RPM?

  3. #3nepondguy2013-05-28 21:33

    I would say the RPM is dropping and sounds like it will stall out. If you release the handles it goes right back to normal idle.

  4. #4willie592013-05-28 21:42

    Most likely a fuel supply problem. Always start with changing fuel filter. When you remove old filter, pour just a small amount of the fuel out of the filter, then place your palm over top of filter and shake it. Pour remaining fuel into a clean pan and see what comes out of filter, can be useful info. If filter change doesn't fix it let us know.

  5. #5nepondguy2013-05-28 21:50

    Beautiful! I have a new filter sitting on the bench so will try that in the morning. I will cross my fingers. Thanks for the help and I will let you know how I make out.

  6. #6willie592013-05-28 22:02

    Sounds like a plan. Many times changing the fuel filter solves the problem. Put the machine under a good load and see if engine continues to stall out. If it does, continue load on engine until it stalls and dies if possible. If that happens, immediately open rear door and see if fuel primer bulb is collapsed flat.

  7. #7nepondguy2013-05-28 22:06

    Roger that. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

  8. #8nepondguy2013-05-29 15:07

    The rain stopped enough for me to get out there and give it a shot. The fuel filter was WAY overdue for a change. I did as you suggested and the fuel that poured out was full of $#!+ So new filter went on and it seemed to have cured the problem...for a moment. I put it to work a bit and it is still bogging down. It is definitely better than the other day but under load it wants to bog down again with a squeal. I tried to get it to stall out as suggested but it bogs down to a point where it almost sounds like metal on metal and a faint burnt rubber smell. I obviously did not hold it that long like that but it would not stall out completely. So I am thinking that I just have crap in the lines now. Should I run some injector cleaner through? If so any recommended brand? Thanks again for any and all help.

  9. #9powerjoke2013-05-29 16:36

    I have heard of many ppl including myself having a problem with water entering the fuel tank and seems to be isolated to the t190 machines, nobody knows why or how but we have changed filters as much as 5times per day and then it'll go a year before it does it again.....no clue, Something else to consider is that the hydraulic pump is driven off a belt on flywheel side of the motor, I think it's something that is supposed to be tightened periodically although I have never done it Pj

  10. #10nepondguy2013-05-29 16:44

    Hmmmm i will look into the belt adjustment. Water in the tank makes sense. I am thinking I should fill the tank with fresh fuel and some additive.

  11. #11nepondguy2013-05-29 18:20

    Powerjoke...you nailed it! Quick and easy belt adjustment and it is running like new! I think I should have done this a long time ago as it seems to have power it was missing! Thanks Willie as well as I definitely needed that filter changed as well. Thanks guys! If you are ever up my way I owe ya beer or 5!

  12. #12Withak2014-10-22 21:36

    Hello guys, working for someone who has a mid 2001 T180 high flow, have a bush hog masticator on it. I am just being paid to mow for them, problem is its bogging down pretty bad after it warms up. Works great for about 30 minutes, but then starts bogging down really bad with anything. Just driving it will bog it. After reading this thread I checked the belts, they where bad so replaced them, and machine ran like a monster for 30 minutes...then started bogging again. Don't know what else to do. My dad has a takeuchi that had the same kind of problem, and he changed the inline hydraulic filter and it seemed to fix the problem for him. Dont know if i should try that. Also before I worked for them someone else left the gas cap off and they got water in it. Bobcat came out replaced the filters and fixed everything. That was in 08. Tractor only has 20 hours on it since. Should I clean the fuel system out again? Any help thanks. I will start a new thread once I am allowed

  13. #13barnbuilder2014-10-25 14:35

    My A300 has crap in the fuel tank and plugs the pick up. I pull the line off at the primer bulb and blow back into the tank. Pretty easy to tell if its plugged or not. Mine seems to bog down easy also. Got any pics on how to adjust the belt for the hydraulic pump. Just had it serviced in May so surely they would have checked that? Or do I dare to assume?

  14. #14manute2014-11-09 19:58

    Hey guys, I just ran into the same problem with my 2002 bobcat 337 mini. It stalled out a couple times at dusk, I searched and found this thread, added some diesel 911 (fuel filter had been changed 2 hours before) and shut it down for the night. This morning I ran it for about an hour with no problems. Decided to tighten the drive belt and wow, what a difference! Before the stalling issue, the arm would seem to slow if I swung and curled simultaneously but no more! Please check your belt tension before trying to check hydraulic pressure and fuel lines...

  15. #15manute2014-11-09 20:05

    belt adjustment The belt adjustment took me 5 minutes, hope the other machines are as simple...