Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T190 controls stuborn

bigboytoy ยท 2013-06-16 08:13

it has standard foot controls... I had what feels like a broken left toe...making it almost impossible to stomp the float function in...is there a kit to move the float function up to the hands?...the tilt operates smooth enough but the lowering and raising functions over react it ..they will creep but you have to push hard and it is easy to go past the speed I am looking for...then the float has to pop in..its like I have to over come pressures on the spool? I have taken the goofy control rods all apart for the left foot control making sure it is not just a bad joint and even installed new plastic bushings. a hand control on float would solve the issue. What can I do?

Replies11
  1. #1willie592013-06-16 20:33

    I suppose that would be a situation having standard foot controls and an injury or problem with left foot being unable to stab it into float position. It's not pressure against the control spool making it have to "pop" to go into float position, it's the detent balls and springs in the float lock on valve spool. I've never tried to modify the float detent before, but if you're able to use pedal well enough with injured foot to work the loader arms up and down it might be possible to change the detent ball springs to a weaker spring, thereby making it easier to engage float position. Like I said, never done it before, just throwing an idea out there. Bobcat may have a kit available to install an electric controlled float position, I have no idea if they do or not. If not, I suppose it would be possible to install two solenoid operated two-way valves (one each for loader arm up and down lines) plumbed to tank line, that would provide an electronic controlled float position. Problem would be installing the valves since Bobcat uses hard pipes from control valve back to the rear of the machine, then they connect to hoses.

  2. #2bigboytoy2013-06-17 07:32

    called Bobcat...they can't say for sure if there is a problem...possibly the spool may be hanging up because it is hard to push and when it does do something its too much...I like your idea better Willie69...I can deal with hard pipes ...install tees and solenoids on lines that raise arm controlled by switch in control...hmmm...float is so important when doing a Finnish job on the smoothing thing.

  3. #3willie592013-06-17 19:58

    Just to clarify, solenoid valves would only operate float, not loader arm raise/lower function, that would still have to be done with the foot pedal.

  4. #4bigboytoy2013-06-17 21:02

    your exactly right, but the normal up/down functions are OK its the float that needs a lot of travel of the pedal with force, I am not sure but the toe injury is re occurring and it may be from this machine ...I noticed there is a manual arm lowering valve that would make a perfect point to pipe in a solenoid valve ...I could delete the manual valve, it was meant for the operator to be able to lower the arm if the machine was dead. I could still do it with 12volts.

  5. #5willie592013-06-17 21:35

    I'm not certain if the manual lowering valve circuit would work as a float circuit, I'd have to study the piping to figure that one out. Like I said, I've never been asked to do this before on a Bobcat. To be a proper float circuit both lines (loader arm up and down) need to be connected to a good size tank line to prevent oil cavitation inside the cylinders as they float up and down.

  6. #6bigboytoy2013-06-17 21:53

    I guess a good way to check out this idea would be to set the manual lowering valve with say vise grips and then see if it would have a problem functioning because basically that's all it would be..?? I would use the tilt like I do normally which would push arms up and down as I travel...I do like the idea and it seems parts would be about $200.

  7. #7spitzair2013-06-17 22:23

    I don't think the manual lowering valve would work as you still have to press the pedal to lower the lift arms. As far as I know it's only a bypass to the lock valve. At least that's how it is on my C-series 873...

  8. #8bigboytoy2013-06-18 07:34

    maybe I could just disable the holding mechanism that keeps it in float and just make it float by pushing pedal no stomping??? it appears to be held in float by hydraulic pressures with the little balls and springs?

  9. #9bigboytoy2013-06-18 20:21

    this is a picture of the spool centering springs on the lift function....correct me if I'm wrong...it seems the small spring and detent balls lock it in to a different center position ..that being float...if I remove the outer set or both sets the float will not have to be stomped in...which is fine...I would rather have a control that moves with my foot...if it drops a little or raises a little from getting bounced around ..no big deal...I will train my foot to react accordingly.

  10. #10willie592013-06-18 20:41

    If you want to disable the float detent, simply remove the spring and two balls, then re-assemble components.

  11. #11bigboytoy2013-06-21 16:56

    heres the deal there are two sets of detent balls the outer set hold it in float without them it will spring back to normal...what I notice is the second set of detent balls that don't fall out have to depress to enter the outer sleeve...the outer sleeve has a bevel on it to help it the balls enter the sleeve...laying back the bevel more makes it easier to enter the sleeve and thus kick in the float easier...without the second balls float is released by just letting go of pedal...what happens is as I am dragging back a small pile with just float, with blade at an angle , I release the float and gradually till back which feathers out the material to no pile. I like it..it kicks in twice as easy and releases even easier.