Has anyone installed an external tank, because of having a hole in the fuel tank?
Where the hell would you put it? On top of the rops? In between your feet??
Wow!!! thanks for the help??? First time owning one and heard that the motor has to be removed in order to get to the tank, so I was looking for an alternative.
Well, there isn't really anywhere for a tank besides where it's at. Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's the truth.
Welcome aboard Brad! I do appreciate sarcasm to a fault, but, he does make a good point, on a skid steer there aren't many options to relocate a fuel tank. I know the new Kubota wheeled skids mount the tank on the rear door. I'm sure someone with some knowledge of what it takes to repair it will chime in soon, lots of knowledgeable Bobcat folks here....
Not sure about the T190, but the 743 Bobcat we had at the quarry removing the engine was really not too bad a job. I'm sure if someone had to do that job a couple times a year it could be out and on the floor in little more than one hour. First time might take 3 times that much depending on how clean machine was and if a small fork truck is not available. Not sure how the pumps are driven on the T190 but if like the 743 they are run by a double u-joint assembly now might be the time to inspect them instead of when one fails when machine is in two feet of mud or something worse. Believe me they won't fail in the shop right after you are done pressure washing the machine!
T190 is completely different than a 743. 743 had an inline engine/pump arrangement, tank behind seat. T190 is a sideways engine with the tank under the engine and pumps. Yes, it's not an easy task to pull the engine/pump frame, but I'd do that before jerry rigging some sort of alternative fuel vessel. There is no good alternative. Are you certain the tank has a hole in it? Have you verified it's not the drain plug or a failed grommet on the fuel pick up or fuel return fittings on the tank?
Ok, thanks.
Thanks for the information above and time line.
Not yet. I wanted get some opinions just in case and I am not thrilled about getting underneath a 8000# machine. So, I am seeking the safest way to lift the unit up so that I can look. Any suggestions on the best and safest way to secure it off the ground without a lift?
You don't have to get very far underneath it, the drain plug is not even halfway under the machine coming at it from the rear. Just drive the rear track idlers up on some 6 x 6 blocks and lock it down, then shimmy under the rear to access the drain plug cover plate. It's just a small steel plate held by two machine screws in the centerline of the belly. The drain plug is a steel plug fitted into a rubber grommet in the bottom of the tank. I've seen the grommet deteriorate at start leaking fuel. If that is where the leak is at you need to run the machine to burn off some fuel if possible. Once you pull that plug what's in the tank will come rolling out.
That's why I hope I made it clear the one I was familiar with was the 743, hope I did not confuse anyone! I'll go and be quiet now
No worries here mate. Like you I prolly recall more than I wish about the 743, like that spawn of Satan CAV cartridge fuel filter with the glass bowl and bolt through the center so ingeniously stuffed in behind the coolant recovery tank.
Thanks for the above information, very helpful and will look at it over the weekend.