Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BobCat T190 travel problems- lockup

steve(ill) ยท 2014-06-29 21:48

Son just bought a 2006 Bobcat T190. First week ran 8 hours a day. Now runs great for about an hour, then all of a sudden the tracks lockup. Travel levers are hard to push. Will drag motor rpm down and stall out if you push hard on the levers. If he jerks the levers around back and forth, something seems to pop loose, then he is ok to go again... might last 5 seconds or 5 minutes then do it again. Seems to run o.k. for the first hour. I don't have a manual yet, trying to figure out if this is solenoid (electrical), solenoid spool, hydraulic spool, or other. We did change the hydraulic oil after this happened, and it still occurred the next time he ran it.. Other than that, its a great machine.

Replies37
  1. #1willie592014-06-29 21:55

    Welcome to HEF steve. :drinkup Without the benefit of looking at the machine myself it would be hard for me to say exactly what's going on. Yes, you could have a problem with the parking brake valve, but I kinda of doubt it, jerking the levers back and forth typically doesn't fix a fault with the parking brake valve. As for something "popping loose" I would think a problem with the drive motors. But then, the odds of both drive motors going bad at the same time would be a Las Vegas bet. Question, when it locks down, is the green LED light for the traction lock on the BICS panel lit up, or is it off?

  2. #2steve(ill)2014-06-29 22:36

    As far as I know willie, there are no light. When / if it does "pop" loose it seems to run o.k. so I don't think it is the drive motors. He does say the levers "don't want to move" or "move real hard".. I was hoping that would give someone a clue to the problem. I know nothing about the tractor, but since it happens real quick, and only after it is warmed up good, I was thinking a spool is sticking in a bore... just don't know if it is a pilot type spool (hydraulic),, or more of a solenoid spool ? Im assuming it has both ?

  3. #3willie592014-06-29 23:37

    No, you need to familiarize yourself with the Bobcat. The BICS system (Bobcat Integrated Control System) has 4 LED lights on the left cab console, one of those LED lights is the traction lock (parking brake). When you start the machine, let the seat bar down, and push the green enable button on the BICS panel, if all things are good, all 4 LED lights will light up and stay lit during operation. What I need to know is...at the very moment that the machine locks down...is the LED light for the traction lock lit up or no.

  4. #4steve(ill)2014-06-29 23:48

    OK... I will ask the kids. I have never run the machine.. I have seen the seat bar / lower and I have been told the problems.. Will ask about the light.

  5. #5willie592014-06-29 23:58

    Good, thanks. You do have a strange problem, and the very first thing we need to know is if the traction LED is lit or not when the machine locks down.

  6. #6steve(ill)2014-06-30 17:56

    Boy is working OT right now and may be unavailable for a few days. I will repost when I see him again. Thanks willie... and I will be back !

  7. #7crewchief8882014-06-30 20:19

    if the light is flashing, you should also hear 3 beeps, do NOT turn the key off, press and hold the light button down, and watch the hr meter display in the LH panel. it should change from the hr display to a 4 digit number. that number is the fault code. once you turn the key off, it clears from the display, and stores in the memory of the bobcat controller, (unreadable except with bobcat's service software) there may be a small booklet behind the seat, you can look up the 4 digit fault code, it may lead you in the right direction for diagnosis. :drinkup

  8. #8steve(ill)2014-07-01 21:32

    Talked to the #1 son tonight. He is still working and no chance or running the tractor till weekend... BUT, he did say the when things lock up , one of the three lights comes on and he hears 3 beeps. I though he said the light had a triangle like a general alarm light... I told him about the light button and read code on the hour meter... will try that this weekend. Thanks for the patience !

  9. #9willie592014-07-01 21:38

    Steve, when the machine is in operation, and the BICS has no issues, all 4 LED lights on the BICS panel are lit. If you have a fault, say with the traction lock circuit, the traction lock LED on the BICS panel will flash and you'll here the 3 beeps. The beeps are an audible alarm to notify you there is a fault, and the BICS LED that is flashing is the circuit that has the fault. At that point, like crewchief said, don't touch nothing, don't raise the seat bar, don't shut the machine down. Instead, right then, push and hold down the work light button, this will bring up the fault code(s) in the hour meter display.

  10. #10steve(ill)2014-07-02 17:38

    OK, he told me he started the tractor last night and it was locked up immediately. He had 3 lights on above the key, not 4. HE had the one light on the other side and the 3 beeps. HE pushed the button and the code is 06-13. Like I said, he could not move the machine, it was locked up as soon as he started the motor. I hope I am explaining this o.k. second hand.

  11. #11steve(ill)2014-07-02 17:44

    the three lights are on the dash above the hour meter. 1-2-3 from the left. The 4th light (right) is off. Up above by the key is the trouble lite that stays lite and he has 3 beeps. code 06-13

  12. #12steve(ill)2014-07-02 20:54

    OK, I went to try the tractor myself so I could explain better what is happening... I sat in the seat and pulled down the safety bar. I turned the key to the first position and all 4 light on the upper left dash lit up for 1 second The 1-3-4 lights then went out and only #2 is lit. I started the motor and the 1-2-3 lights lit up, but traction lite does nothing. I got a red diamond light in the upper right corner and the 3 dings sounded. There is a red toggle "brake lock" switch dead center in front of your forehead. It was on. Son said if you turn it on - off you should hear a solenoid click. We hear nothing. Bumped the travel levers forward and you can feel the tractor want to move, but it stalls down. Sounds like oil is dead headed against something. Son has cleaned all the terminals, checked several lines to see if there is "crud" inside, cleaned filters.... so far no successs. I think there is a "traction lock" toggle switch on the left side ? You toggle that and still nothing happens.

  13. #13willie592014-07-02 21:14

    4th BICS panel LED from the left is the traction lock. Code 06-13 is no signal from engine speed sensor. I can't say specifically if that's what's causing your traction lock problem, but no signal from the engine speed sensor can make the ECU do some weird things.

  14. #14willie592014-07-02 21:23

    We need to make sure we're on the same page steve. When you turn on ignition (not start) all 4 BICS lights flash as a self test. Start engine, no LED lights should be on. Drop seat bar, LED #2 should come on. Push the button marked "press to operate loader" and LED #1, 2, and 4 should now come on. If #4 doesn't come on, instead it flashes, and you get beeps, with code 06-13, you have a problem with the engine speed sensor. According to the manual the ECU won't allow the traction lock off if there's no input from the engine speed sensor. BTW, you may not hear an audible "click" of the traction lock on a T190. Unlike the wheel loaders that uses a solenoid that makes a click noise, the solenoid valve that controls the traction lock on a T190 is much less audible.

  15. #15steve(ill)2014-07-02 21:48

    we are close willie--- all happens as you say, but I don't get #4 light to flash... it lights up during the initial test, but don't flash after startup....... 06-13 no engine speed (ort low)... maybe that wont let the brakes back off because it don't see the motor running at adequate speed ??? You know where the speed sensor is ? Will pull it and check wires / continuity. Can I bypass it or hot wire to run a test and see if that's the problem, or do you suggest a new sensor ? Should I get voltage or continuity at the wires on the sensor ? Resistance on the sensor ? What kind of test ?

  16. #16willie592014-07-02 22:22

    The speed sensor is mounted into the flywheel housing just above the starter. I don't know that there's a way to test the sensor, the manual doesn't give any procedure, probably some form of variable reluctance resistor, doubt it's Hall Effect, but I don't know. Unless crewchief has some advice, only thing I could think to do is replace the sensor if you don't find wiring problems. If you do replace the sensor, the new ones come with a plastic tip on them. Screw the new sensor into the flywheel housing until the plastic tip touches flywheel, lock down the jam nut. The plastic tip is designed to snap off when engine is started. This gives you the proper gap between sensor and flywheel.

  17. #17steve(ill)2014-07-02 22:36

    Thanks willie.... this sounds like a real good possibility.. Code says low engine speed and I can understand that brakes should be engaged until engine speed is adequate to get hydraulic power. I will look at the sensor / wiring / then consider a new sensor if all else looks good........ thanks for a step in the right direction.

  18. #18steve(ill)2014-07-03 22:38

    By the time I got message to son he had switched the two solenoids and ran a test... no difference. He was in the process of pulling the two solenoid spools when I gave him the message. The cleaned both hydraulic spools and cleaned the wire connector on the RPM pickup. The brakes started working, but the bucket cylinders did not. Thought he might have it narrowed down to the two hydraulic valves. Took both apart and polished and cleaned and reassembled. Tractor ran for 2 hours and locked up again........... Getting close.. has it narrowed down to sticky hydraulic spools, or intermittent RPM pickup. Did not check the codes this last time...... I think he can take it from here and finish repairs.

  19. #19steve(ill)2014-07-04 18:36

    I talked him into pulling the speed sensor out of the motor. It had crud/ rust growing on the probe end. Cleaned it up and reinstalled this morning and he rad a couple hours since then.. Thanks Willie / crewchief ... I think we got this !

  20. #20crewchief8882014-07-04 18:53

    no problem, glad it worked out for you. when a g series machine beeps at ya, it's telling you something is wrong, retrive the fault codes before turning the key off. certainly helps with ANY diagnosis, wether you are asking a question here or contacting a dealer. my first question to anyone is "what fault codes are active?" :beatsme isnt the answer i'm looking for. :drinkup

  21. #21willie592014-07-04 20:38

    Ha, if someone told you the active codes and gave you precise information about what the machine is doing that would allow you to immediately diagnose a problem...you'd prolly pass out right then and there!. Good to hear ya got it sorted out steve. :drinkup

  22. #22frg2014-07-11 11:49

    if the 06-13 appear, the engine speed sensor dosenot engine speed to computer. and computer lock the traction system with no engine rpm for safety reasons. change the engine rpm sensor and the machine will be ok. it is normal, when the machine became hot, the wire connected to RPM sensor lose connection.

  23. #23Sean McKendry2015-09-20 01:12

    I have a 2006 t190 that has the same problem the traction control light does not illuminate and I have replaced the RPM sensor. can you advise what else might be causing this.

  24. #24frg2015-09-20 04:43

    check the service code(error code) please. what about a lift and tilt function? maybe the RPM sensor dos not fit correctly. or if no service code available, (NONE appear in LCD) maybe the wire from sensor to controller is disconnected.

  25. #25Sean McKendry2015-09-20 05:08

    thank you frg, I have changed the RPM sensor twice the service code still comes up as 06-13 and the lift and tilt function do not work as well. I will tilt the cabin tomorrow and check the wiring harness. but I am still stumped!!

  26. #26frg2015-09-20 05:17

    if 06-13 occur by opening the key( not starting the loader) the problem is engine oil pressure sensor not RPM sensor. but if the code appear by starting the engine, check the wire near the RPM connector, where the wire goes to the engine harness, normally it disconnected form there. it is tricky, wire cover seems good, but the wire is broken inside.

  27. #27Sean McKendry2015-09-20 05:32

    thank you frg I will check in the morning and let you know.

  28. #28Sean McKendry2015-10-09 03:55

    does your machine traction lock light flash on and off. if so check the RPM sensor and the wiring to this as mine had the same problem which turned out to be the blue wire that runs to the RPM sensor was broken.

  29. #29Sean McKendry2015-10-09 03:59

    thank you frg the blue wire to the rpm sensor was broken so I fixed this and it was running great no wit has a 22-03 code and I cant work out why.

  30. #30Bob342016-04-27 15:22

    Alright guys, I'm new here, but have been stalking this forum off and on for info as I need it... Thanks for all the help. My issue is I have a T-190 with exactly the same issues listed above. Starts and runs, then locks up during use. The fourth BICS Light goes off, three beeps, yellow triangle on the right control panel, and throw the 06-13 code. I have replaced the RPM sensor, and traced/ checked the blue wires for continuity. All is well there. Could you guys recommend what to check next? At this point I am stumped, and getting frustrated. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge. Bob

  31. #31GHKJ2017-09-10 21:28

    I have the same problem. Ill be going along and wham it comes to a dead stop.( Light will go off for traction #4) I cleaned off the sensor, ( because code 06-13 ) lots of crud, then reinstalled to exact same distance. ( painted threads and counted turns) on sensor. still have exact same problem. when traction stops light goes out. if I jerk the arms back and forth , the light comes on and all is well.is there any kind of test for sensor.

  32. #32crewchief8882017-09-11 15:34

    the speed sensor will read AC voltage when the engine is running. i cant ever remember seeing a spec for the voltage.... many times ive seen one or both of the terminal sockets spread open on sensors, causing an intermittent connection, or a change in voltage that the controller is reading. the controller knows what it's suppose to see, and if it's not within the "proper" range, things dont work. for those of you messing around with the engine speed sensors, remove the sensor, clean and reinstall by hand until it contacts the flywheel, then back it off approx 1/4 turn and snug up the locknut.

  33. #33philb2018-04-26 21:00

    Same problem here.replaced speed sensor.no good. Tracked wires. Can't find any damaged.might help if I new where th 3600 and 3610 wires lead to?Please help!

  34. #34philb2018-04-26 21:23

    Hey Bob did you ever figure out I have same problem?

  35. #35crewchief8882018-04-27 16:34

    both those wires run in the mainframe harness from the sensor to the controller....

  36. #36philb2018-04-27 16:55

    Thanx so much! I finally found it.3600 wire was broke several times inside plastic casing.could not see by just looking at the wire. Was on the opposite end of engine harness were it plus into the main harness.had to replace about a foot of wire. Thanx eveyone

  37. #37Dan Shaddick2018-08-19 14:40

    Hey willie, I am having a similar problem brake locks up and unlocks sparatically. BICS light on and off with brake. Can the brake be bypassed? Could it be the engine speed sensor? Thanks for any advice.