Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T250 yes or no

Nick P · 2019-02-24 13:13

Im new to the skid steer family and wondering if I should Pick up this bobcat for cheap or not. It’s a 2002 bobcat T250 but has issues. Owner just had both pumps and one drive motor replaced and now when it starts gets a low charge pressure alarm. Could this be an easy fix or should I stay Away?

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2019-02-24 13:38

    Why were both pumps and a drive motor replaced? If the hydraulics are contaminated I'd run away. Need a lot more details in order to give a better assessment. Charge pressure can likely be adjusted but if the machine has been abused and neglected could be a money pit.

  2. #2Nick P2019-02-24 13:42

    This is what I was Told. I'm not sure what is wrong with it I had trouble with the pump I sent it to the shop had a new pump and hydrostatic pump put In got it home was clearing some property and the drive motor blew a seal i ordered a drive motor had it replaced went to pick it up from the shop and it started and ran when you go to move it shuts down and gives a code for low hydrostatic pressure I pulled the stone filters to check for debris but they only had fine shavings I've purchased new filters but haven't had time to get around to putting them back in and I'm just tired of seeing it sit in my yard I work a lot and really don't have time to mess with it I've spent $20+k in it but haven't used it since

  3. #3Nick P2019-02-24 17:51

    Also machine only has 2700 hrs and has only ran 5 hours since pump change.

  4. #4ianjoub2019-02-24 19:02

    'For cheap' .... Is that $5k for cheap? Should be ok at that price.

  5. #5Nick P2019-02-24 19:10

    Hees asking 10. But most I’d pay is 5. Being it’s a gamble. I think Long as he diddnt trash the new pumps when he blew the drive motor then I should Be ok.

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-02-24 19:50

    I'd do some research into hydro problems on this model.

  7. #7Nick P2019-02-25 16:13

    I talked With the guy some more today and he says it does run and move but only about 5 feet at a time. It has manual controls. Says when it’s tracking the sticks are hard to push. Like he would be trying to dig or push a heavy load. Also he said bobcat changed the 2 pumps. But his mechanic changed the drive motor with one he bought over the internet. Think this could be causing his issues?

  8. #8mikebramel2019-02-25 16:41

    Dont take this the wrong way but the fact that you are asking this question says how much trouble you could get into by buying this machine. The repairs could easily exceed the value of the machine

  9. #9KSSS2019-02-25 16:55

    Potentially, free might not be cheap enough. If your serious I would pay to have a BC mechanic determine exactly what is wrong with it. The value is too low and the parts too expensive to take a chance on it being a cheap easy fix.

  10. #10Nick P2019-02-25 17:02

    Yeah. I thank All y’all for the input and suggestions. I’m going to have to pass on this deal. I’m new to the skid steer world and obviously cheaper isn’t always the best way. Think I’d be better off dropping 20k on a well running machine than spend 20 on a lemon