Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T290 Engine Speed Control Lever

LetsDoThisThing ยท 2022-05-23 19:33

So.. I bought a new (to me!) 2007 Bobcat T290.. Engine speed control lever (next to my right arm on side) looks like it is "probably" at full speed, but, I can't adjust the lever at all (forward or backward.) I've given it a bit of "elbow grease", but, before I went crazy on it or broke out the WD40 (but doesn't /seem/ rusted, etc.) I just wanted to be sure there isn't anything I'm missing.. and/or if there are any "common" issues that cause this. Everything works fine, just seems a bit slower in traveling than what I'm used to and can't tell if it's just the machine or it's not at full speed. Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1JBrady2022-05-24 14:25

    What you are calling the engine speed control lever is the throttle. Your speed control comes from how much you move the joysticks. At any rate, the throttle is a pretty straight forward cable system similar to a bicycle's brakes. They can get rusted up and need replaced. If your bobcat has SJC controls (no foot pedals for loader functions), then you will also have an accelerator pedal for your right foot. It is connected to the throttle lever by your right arm via some clever linkage and either one of them being stuck would cause the other one to seem stuck as well. You can also open the back door, find the injector pump, and you'll see the throttle cable connecting to it. I can't remember at the moment if there is a setscrew right there to limit RPM's. If everything looks good there, there is also a snail function on bobcats that might be enabled. I never use it on mine, but when it's enabled, it can be dialed way down so full RPMs and full throw of the joysticks, you still go very slow. Is is intended for something like needing to lift a heavy load (high RPM) right next to a building where you don't want fast/jerky movements. The snail button is on the left joystick. It is not the same thing as the turtle/rabbit button for 2 speed machines.

  2. #2LetsDoThisThing2022-06-13 00:39

    Thank you!!