Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T300 leaking hydraulic pump

steevz ยท 2012-07-18 20:14

Hey guys, I'm new to bobcats and hydraulics and am looking for some insight on a problem with the hydraulic pump on a T300. Apparently it was leaking from between these two pieces (red arrows): The two pieces of the pump easily separated there, but I pushed them back a bit for that picture. The blue arrow is a snapped bolt, I think. There is no head, but I can feel the threads still in the other side. So, my questions are: Is there only two bolts holding these parts together? Must the engine be removed to remove the pump and fix the broken bolt? Thanks, Steve

Replies17
  1. #1willie592012-07-18 21:16

    Yes, there are two bolts, one on each side, that secures the charge pump to the drive pump. Whether or not you can remove broken bolt and fit new bolt with it still in frame, don't know. Bolt should be loose now that head has snapped off, just a question of whether you can get in there with some tools and manage to get bolt to turn out. There's also the possibility that the seal between charge pump and drive pump has now been compromised, no way to say for sure.

  2. #2steevz2012-07-18 21:43

    Thanks for the quick reply! To pull the engine is it as simple as removing throttle, fuel, air, and exhaust parts then all I could see is two engine mounts on the bottom of the engine at first glance.. is there more? Then can you just slide and lift the engine out, or does the pump need to be detached?

  3. #3willie592012-07-18 21:51

    Those two engine mounts that you see when you open the rear door are the easy ones, there's two others, one in area below those pumps you're working on, another at opposite end of drive pumps. Pulling the engine is not all that easy as pumps have to come out with it. I can't say whether or not you can pull work equipment pump and charge pump from drive pumps while fitted in frame, never tried on a T300, but I would try what I could to repair it without pulling engine.

  4. #4xcmark2012-07-19 19:21

    a good pressure washing to start off is a good idea

  5. #5steevz2012-07-19 20:03

    Yes, I know. It didn't get washed first.. that will be next time for sure. So I have the everything disconnected, ready to come out. Only thing I haven't gotten are the back two engine mounts (or pump mounts). The one located on the right I found (looking from the front of the machine), under all the piping. I couldn't manage to get in there to loosen it.. do I need to remove the track and hydrostatic motor to open the access and get it from there? Or is there a way to remove the hydraulic fluid tank? Attempting to move hydraulic lines did not make it possible to get in there. I couldn't find/feel another mount on the left side, are you sure there is one in there?

  6. #6willie592012-07-19 21:12

    I haven't pulled the engine/pumps on a T300 steevz, don't have any advice to give you on that. As for the mounts, again, haven't messed with that on a T300, but every Bobcat I have seen has 4 mounts, would surprise me if the T300 didn't. But before I pulled that motor/pump unit, I'd really look hard at removing work equipment pump/charge pump assy with every thing in frame. If you could get that pump off, chances are you can make the repair without the trouble of pulling engine.

  7. #7super mechanic2012-07-20 07:49

    Yea all T300 has 4 engines mounts ,new M series bobcats got 3 mounts, you may have to removed the drive motor,or you may not that depends on your skills and special tools.

  8. #8super mechanic2012-07-20 07:56

    If I'm not mistaken the hydrostatic pumps (drive pump for regular people)look like you have selectable joys sticks , Fun machines to work on it,my advice is to pay a specialist mechanic to do the job.

  9. #9crewchief8882012-07-28 10:39

    the golden colored plate is the mount that attaches to the r front motor mount, could have 1 or 2 bolts holding it to the mount. pump will not come off until you remove those bolts. they may be missing or broken. remove the track and access covers on that side. kinda a PITA but no need to remove the engine & pumps. only way to get to the left front motor mount is to remove the Lh track

  10. #10steevz2012-07-28 19:52

    Well, the belt need replacing too. As well as some of the exhaust.. so I'm just going to pull the engine/pumps. I have all the mounting bolts out and I'm going to pull it on Monday. Thanks for the replys. Also, the wheel under the sprocket on the rear of the track is starting to wear in the star pattern.. does anyone know the root cause of this?

  11. #11crewchief8882012-07-28 19:54

    they all do it eventually....... :drinkup

  12. #12steevz2012-07-28 19:58

    Thanks, will just replace it.

  13. #13jerry hill2020-10-17 18:28

    Bobcat t300 2004 Can someone tell me or show a picture where small hydraulic lines connect to hydraulic pump block on side. There is two on the side and one in the back. Hoping i do not have the ones on side crossed? Jerry

  14. #14jerry hill2020-10-19 09:23

    Disregard showing me a picture. Found my info elsewhere, plus have gotten to the bottom of my problem. The right hand section of hydrostatic pump needs rebuilding. Lever shaft in top has slack and its not the clamp on top of shaft. So hydrostatic right hand pump section has got to be removed and then see whats wrong inside. Any suggestions by those that have run into the same problem, would be appreciated. Jerry

  15. #15jerry hill2020-10-21 08:41
  16. #16jerry hill2020-10-21 08:45

    Steevz Hope you got bolt out and repaired by now. In case you still have a leakage. The problem may be the "O" ring seal between the hydraulic pump and the right hand section of the hydroststic pump. Jerry

  17. #17jerry hill2020-10-24 08:06

    I have pulled the charge pump out twice on a t300 with no problem other than tirring. Once the charge pump is removed the drive pump section for the right side is held with 4 number 8mm cap bolts. Takes two people to do the two hardest to get to. One person to hold the socket with extentions in place while another laying on his belly up inside turning the racket with cheater pipe. Once bolts make a click sound, you should be able to turn them out with your fingertips. Good time to check hydraulic hoses in order to avoid a fire happening down the road. Jerry