Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I need to adjust the valves on a kubota V2203 disiel engine on a bobcat 763.

Fred Bryant ยท 2012-07-18 22:16

I have never done this before, on any engine. I am hoping to do it with the engine in the machine. Any push in the correct direction will be appreciated. Thx's, Fred.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies5
  1. #1willie592012-07-18 22:45

    First, you have to be able to bar the engine over by hand. Not sure about the 763, but many of the older Kubota engines had a splined shaft on front of crank shaft that you could grip and turn engine over. Also, with engine running, verify which direction the crank is turning. Most engines are clockwise rotation, but it's always safe to verify. For barring engine, it helps to remove glow plugs, negates effect of compression, but it's not totally necessary, your choice. All engine mfg's have a method for adjusting valves, but not all us folks in the real world have access to this info, so the method (which is close enough) I use is "end of intake...beginning of exhaust". It works like this, the first valve in the line, #1 cylinder (cylinder closest to crank pulley), let's say that it's an intake valve, bar engine over until that intake valve starts to react (move). Keep barring engine until that intake valve stops moving (end of intake [stroke]). At that point, adjust the adjacent exhaust valve for that cylinder. Now that exhaust valve is adjusted, bar engine over until exhaust valve begins to react (beginning of exhaust [stroke]). At that point, adjust adjacent intake valve for that cylinder. Move on to next cylinder. Also, it's pretty easy to determine which valve is intake and which is exhaust by position of intake and exhaust manifolds as they will pretty much line up with respective valves.

  2. #2Fred Bryant2012-07-29 12:36

    Thx's, that helps. On a related question, where is the TDC mark on the flywheel? I was told it is stamped TDC and visible through an access hole, maybe under a cover. The only hole I can see, with the motor still in the machine, does not have a pointer mark or line. The hole is right above the starter. I do see two parallel lines on the flywheel through this hole though. Right place? Thx's, Fred.

  3. #3willie592012-07-29 19:58

    I'm not certain where the marks are on that engine, but if you're only adjusting valves, no need to find TDC.

  4. #4Fred Bryant2012-07-29 21:29

    This is the issue I am ultimately wanting to solve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd010UCYk3c Adjusting the valve lash is the only current thought ( the PVC is an open system, and venting fine ). Any new/more thoughts? Thx's, Fred.

  5. #5crewchief8882012-08-05 21:35

    it's suppose to do that. it's a dust ejector :drinkup