Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T300 track squeal

Jimcolt ยท 2012-11-14 18:53

I have a bobcat t300 that is a 2003 model. The motor runs well. After driving the loader for about 100 yards the left side track started to squeal. It was quiet at first and cold outside so, I let it idle for about 5 more min. to let the hyd oil warm. I thought it just might be a stone caught in the track so I kept going slowly. Then after about 100 more yards the loader started squeal loudly and not want to move on the left side. After sitting for about 1 hour i tried to get it to a place i could work on it and it moved easier but still squealed. I have cleaned the tracks of rocks and dirt and added oil to the main sprocket hub. Any thoughts? BTW i am new to forums so let me know if I'm not doing something correct. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1CM19952012-11-14 19:22

    Welcome to the Forums Jimcolt!:drinkup First of all I am not a Bobcat mechanic but we have a hand full of members here who are. I had a front idler go out on my T250 last Friday, ordered a new one and put it on yesterday. When the idler goes out it will bind, make a hell of a noise or throw a track - or a combination of all of that. Check the front idler. Raise the front end of the machine off the ground with the bucket, keep the arms lowered and tilt the bucket to raise the front end off the ground. Take a pry bar, put it between the track and the machine frame and see if there is any movement on the front idler shaft. If there is, then you need to replace the idler. The idlers come as a complete unit, remove the track, slide the old one out and the new one in.

  2. #2Jimcolt2012-11-14 19:48

    Thanks for the info. I will try that tomorrow. How hard is it to take off the track and then replace the idler (if needed). I read about the fitting for tightening the track is under high pressure... do you know if that is that correct?

  3. #3willie592012-11-14 19:49

    I agree, it's typically front or rear idler going down.

  4. #4crewchief8882012-11-16 15:54

    if you are lucky it's an idler if not it's, the brake hanging up, and not releasing, or an outer housing bearing going out. :drinkup

  5. #5joedan2012-11-28 14:07

    on a t-190 if the brake is hanging up is there a simple fix or does that mean major repair

  6. #6crewchief8882012-11-28 17:18

    could be as simple as a bad brake coil, or trashed motors, weak charge pressure pump, stuck open charge relief :drinkup