Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T86 Door

ColdBlackWind · 2023-10-30 18:12

Looking at a T86 that is online. Doesn’t look like it has a ballistic door. Is the OEM door compatible with forestry attachments?

Replies13
  1. #1Mike_IUOE2023-10-30 19:28

    Depends on the package it has. The regular door is glass. You have to upgrade to a forestry package to get the lexan door. You should be able to talk to the parts dept and see what a new door would cost. I wouldn’t run a glass door doing forestry work.

  2. #2ColdBlackWind2023-10-30 20:03

    I agree 100%. Running a 299d2 now with a brush cutter attachment. It has a forestry door. The shrapnel is real.

  3. #3KSSS2023-10-31 10:04

    Yea, don't even consider running a mulcher or similar attachment without Lexan. At a minimum you will be buying a new door, at the worst of it, the operator will get seriously injured. I bet that door from BC will be $3K. Try Racing Shield, I bought my doors from them (Case machines). They have different thicknesses available. Get the .5" if our going to mulch with it.

  4. #4ColdBlackWind2023-10-31 18:33

    Thanks. I emailed them for a quote.

  5. #5crewchief8882023-11-04 06:33

    if you are running a bobcat forestry head or drum mulcher, it will not operate with a std door installed. controllers are in constant communication and "know" if the wrong door is installed

  6. #6ColdBlackWind2023-11-04 06:46

    I am not sure how that works but good information. What happens if you replace glass with aftermarket lexan?

  7. #7KSSS2023-11-04 08:00

    My guess is that BC's Lexan door completes a circuit when you plug the door into the machine similar to what happens when your door is open it deactivates the machine (at least on CNH machines, I sure BC does the same thing). Someone probably launched a piece of wood through a glass door mulching, sued BC and so here you go. You would need to by pass that with a plug or something. I doubt BC will help with that, but it can't be that difficult.

  8. #8ColdBlackWind2023-11-04 11:36

    My Cat299d2 has a simple prox switch to indicate the door is closed. It doesn’t “know” if the door is in place, broken, glass or lexan.

  9. #9KSSS2023-11-04 12:53

    repost, website was having a moment.

  10. #10KSSS2023-11-04 12:57

    My Case is the same way, but I think BC put a connection in the BC lexan door that somehow does know, so that you cant run the machine without the lexan door, if what Crewchief is saying is correct. I don't know enough about BC to know that myself, but my guess is that it recognizes the mulcher and must recognize whether the machine has a BC lexan door.

  11. #11crewchief8882023-11-04 13:44

    as long as the door sensor js working i wouldnt think an aftermarket piece of lexan would make any difference. BUT you have to have a bobcat forestry door frame to start with. the bobcat controllers know/sense what attachment connected to it

  12. #12ColdBlackWind2023-11-05 12:33

    Got it. I think. The frame is different. Might be the connector to the door switch is configured for two different plugs. Regular door and forestry door. That starts to make sense in my mind.

  13. #13crewchief8882023-11-05 16:31

    correct. 2 different doors connector on the cab harness that the door plugs into is the same for both doors. once the attachment (any attachment that has a controller on it) is connected the machine knows what is connected, and takes the appropriate action to activivate whatever buttons on the handles are needed to operate the attachment