Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat324 Stalling engine while work…Fuel issue ??

kubotafreak ยท 2022-06-20 19:51

Hello folks, New here, Having issues with 324. Occasionally stalls as if almost dying while digging. Just replaced New fuel filter, air filter cleaned, I did search & found the other thread bobcat engine stalling...but i think it was a CAT. Should i clean any other fuel filter (inline) if any. Whats this one on the picture. Should i remove & clean/ service it.?

Replies14
  1. #1skyking12022-06-20 20:54

    did you dump the filter you changed? sounds like water. Find the tank sump and sump it and catch it. You can see the water and gunk and then you know.

  2. #2Delmer2022-06-20 22:16

    That's a transfer pump. Is that a priming lever under it on the left side? I'm surprised it has a bulb primer and a transfer pump. is the primer bulb supposed to be there? There may be a screen between the tank and the transfer pump, it could even be in the inlet to that transfer pump, but there shouldn't be anything inside to clean. Follow the line from that transfer pump back to the tank, if there's any other screen or inline filter, it will be between the tank and transfer pump. If you can't confirm the primer bulb is original, I'd remove it, maybe even if it was original.

  3. #3kubotafreak2022-06-20 23:36

    Under it on Left side is the Eng oil dip stick on the picture...... sure will follow whats suggested. Thanks.

  4. #4Delmer2022-06-21 06:21

    Not the dip stick. Looks like a small tab on the left side of the bottom part of the transfer pump, that will be the priming lever to operate the diaphragm pump manually, if I'm not seeing the picture wrong.

  5. #5Vetech632022-06-21 08:11

    Those fuel bulbs have check valves built into the ends. They are famous for collecting enough gunk to slow the suction to a stop.

  6. #6kubotafreak2022-06-21 08:48

    By removing them from lines & blowing them in reverse with some kerosene or diesel would do the job.?

  7. #7kubotafreak2022-06-21 08:49

    Hey Delmer Are you referring to this...? I opened this valve & just like 2 drops of some green coolant like liquid came out n stopped.

  8. #8Delmer2022-06-21 14:19

    No, that's the coolant petcock, but it should drain more than a few drops? maybe there's no air in the system so it was under suction? open that until you get a drop then squeeze a radiator hose to make sure it's open, and not sedimented shut. That has nothing to do with the fuel system, just being picky. I can't tell if I'm seeing that picture right or not. It looks like there is a lever attached to the transfer pump, on the bottom left side, above the petcock in the picture. But it could just be the angle and shadow.

  9. #9Kobelco ireland2022-06-21 18:09

    Like delmer said it does look like a primer lever on the transfer pump. Also it looks like the three bolts holding the engine mounting to the block are loose

  10. #10Delmer2022-06-21 22:52

    From that view I can see it's just the bulge in the casting that I thought was the priming lever. Disregard.

  11. #11kubotafreak2022-06-22 12:03

    Thanks delmer for the clarification, should i take the transfer pump out open the top 4 philips screws & check /clean. I have to find a way to clean the fuel tank. Wish there was some sort of drain nut there. Its 40c (104F) tdy cannot look in to this for now. will wait for a better day.

  12. #12Delmer2022-06-22 13:06

    I wouldn't take apart the transfer pump, it's not the most likely problem. You could take the outlet hose off and test the pump to see if it squirts fuel when you crank the engine, but that's hard to describe how to judge the amount of fuel if you haven't seen them good and bad. You could blow through the transfer pump and bulb, I'd check to be sure there's not a screen in the inlet, then blow through with a garden hose even, the bulb separate, and then the transfer pump. they won't blow back because there are check valves in each one, blow or flush through the same way they pump, that's why you look for the screen first, you want to clear the screen, but can't backflush the primer bulb or transfer pump. I'm guessing the transfer pump valves aren't made to be rebuilt, so that's why there's no point in taking it apart. But you probably could see how it works if you want to take it apart.

  13. #13kubotafreak2022-06-23 23:04

    Just removed fuel pump cleaned/ air blowed, installed. Removed primer bulb, cleaned the ends & tried blowing through i felt a tiny noise with a very minor resistance & breaks in air as it comes out. I suspect may be the O/W valve is broken, or perhaps its at its end of its life, luckily i had a new primer bulb that i bought for my boat (of the same size, sceptor brand) i did the same blowing test & could feel real difference..hope this would resolve the issue, tomorrow will test the machine at the job site.

  14. #14kubotafreak2022-07-03 08:23

    Was using it at a job site & it was flawless. So it was the primer bulb & replacing it with New one solved it.