Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcats new manufacturing facility in mexico 700,000 sqft $300million project……Thoughts?

Basscat348 · 2024-06-24 08:14

Sounds like bobcat wants to put americans out of work.Even though I currently own a T66 and its my second one , I will not support this and I am already looking at a Cat 255 or 265.I know some parts on all machines are not american made at least I can buy from an american assembly plant where american people work for a living still.What are your thoughts?

Replies18
  1. #1KSSS2024-06-24 09:20

    I wasn't aware of that. Growing up in North Dakota where BC has had a huge presence to the area ( some of my friends I went to school with still work for BC), seeing them move to Mexico feels like a gut punch. Deere has been in the news over layoffs and moving manufacturing to Mexico for some items, CNH doing the same. I believe both of these were ag based equipment. The strikes that took place a couple years ago at CNH and Deere resulted in both manufactures agreeing to wages and benefits that I think has driven these decisions. At the end of the day, they are going to build machines where they can maximize their income, regardless of who it is. Many manufactures build in Mexico for the same reasons. It is strictly a numbers a game. Keeping jobs here is complicated, the higher wages, lack of people willing to work are in stark contrast to the conditions in Mexico which has neither of those issues.

  2. #2CM19952024-06-24 10:03

    Bobcat hasn't been Bobcat since the Melroe/Clark days IMO. Ingersoll Rand really cheapened the brand up IMO. Haven't purchased or really ran the Doosan owned machines to give any feedback.

  3. #3Drag racer2024-06-24 22:07

    Guess Americans will have flood Mexico,since they are flooding in here.

  4. #4Legdoc2024-06-24 22:21

    I bet the only thing that goes down is the quality. Not the price. I guess it's better than China!

  5. #5crane operator2024-06-24 22:31

    Hope you aren't in love with your Ram or GM pickup, because you'll never guess where they are put together.

  6. #6heymccall2024-06-24 22:50

    My local Bobcat dealer (has several branches) charges 20% over list price for all my parts needs. I simply buy out if region, to get around this I'm all for making enough to keep the lights on and answer the phone, but I ain't paying for the company junket to the Bahamas.

  7. #7Coaldust2024-06-24 22:53

    That’s terrible news. I feel bad for the good people of ND.

  8. #8Bumpsteer2024-06-24 23:50

    Its driven by the export market. Mexico has free trade agrements with more countries than one can count. We don't. Ed

  9. #9Deere500a2024-06-25 01:39

    No different than having to bailout Chevy/ Chrysler insert name & shutting down plants all throughout the US for Mexico.

  10. #10KSSS2024-06-26 01:41

    My '24 Duramax was built in Canada

  11. #11KSSS2024-06-26 01:44

    I agree, you wont see the prices come down because they are built in Mexico at a cheaper rate then in the USA.

  12. #12crane operator2024-06-26 06:31

    I think for gm- any of the HD's are us and canada, if you are getting a 1500, there's a couple different plants, but most of the crew cab's come out of mexico. Ram is the other way around, in that some of the 1500's are made in the us, while the HD versions come out of the mexico plant. Both companies constantly shift producion back and forth.

  13. #13Herkypilot2024-06-26 07:01

    Bobcat has a new manufacturing facility in Statesville, NC

  14. #14crewchief8882024-07-01 20:21

    bobcat has been building some models of machines overseas for quite a while. mainly chech republic and france.

  15. #1592U 34062024-07-01 20:49

    Even if they were built in the US I'd bet most parts were made overseas anyways.

  16. #16PlumberRob2024-07-03 08:22

    From what I understand, the U.S. and Czech facilities will still be in operation. The Mexico facility will help build/assemble and have inventory for their global market.

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-07-03 19:53

    A lot of stuff is just assembled in the US or Canada, usually from globally sourced components. It seems like a way to get around saying exactly where the parts came from... Like they are ashamed to say (nay) or just don't care they are deceiving their customers.

  18. #18damnescavator2024-07-15 14:54

    I'm just glad a few 1%-ers are making out on the move (sarcasm)