Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 289d charging issues

Brianc383 · 2024-06-23 15:22

SN TAW02381 2015 cat 289d So the last few days I’ve had some odd charging issues pop up. At idle, I’m getting 14.2V but under use (constant flow, creep, float..etc) the gauge cluster shows as low as 12.2v. I’m assuming it’s the alternator, but open to suggestions. I can put a battery in it and order an alternator but would rather not throw money at it if that isn’t it. It has an 80A alternator stamped 1G398-64012, any chances of getting a higher amperage one?

Replies1
  1. #1Brianc3832024-06-23 22:53

    I took the battery and alternator tested at O’reilly’s and both passed. The single wire hookup (not the battery) on the back was a bit corroded so I cleaned it and that seemed to solve the issue. Ran the machine for about an hour and it never got below 14v the entire time.