Yair . . . I got stuck on my own walking a Nine out twenty miles out to the road to be picked up by the float . . . first machine and camp was gone and I was stuck there in my lonesome with a pocket instamatic and bugger all else. With no rippers or counterweights those tractors were so unbalanced that she would not come up on top. I walked about five miles to the homestead and found it deserted, as they had all gone to town. Scrounged around and found a hand operated "Trehwellah" tree puller in the shed. took two trips to carry it back to the tractor (in high-heel cowboy boots mind you). Just that bit of assistance with the hand winch made all the difference. I backed her up as far as she would go, adjusted the throttle so she was just stalled out on the converter and then climbed out and rushed back took up the slack on the hand winch, little by little she came out. No that's not me in the first picture, just a view of the machine (or her mate) up on hard ground. in the last two pictures you can plainly see the 5/8" rope from the hand winch. I didn't know these pictures existed until recently, they are in pretty poor condition and the rest of the box was beyond restoration after the 1974 floods but they are better than not having them at all. Cheers.
Glad you found the pictures Scrub . That was quite a journey having to make two trips back to the homestead , then hand crank out the D9 with the Trehwellah winch . I remember on another thread you mentioned loosing a lot of photos due to the flood . This just proves it pays to have a resourceful hard headed Bushman on the clearing crew . I have used that same trick when my 16B got stuck . At the time I used a one ton wrecker with 1/2 " cable , Put the 16 in 2 reverse and gave it just a little throttle while pulling with the winch and she came out . Wait a second ! I thought a good dozer hand never got the tractor stuck . Hopefully no one else will notice It happens .
Ha haha ha ha lol I roar laughing that is just to funny. Na it's all good we've all done it, I once spent three days cutting timber and humping it in by hand to get a d6 out. A lot of timber was pushed down by the blade and rippers and almost the same went under the tracks I was 15 and grandpa was not happy.
Great thread Scrub! I always like learning new tricks. I have done many recoveries, but none with a hand winch. I have hauled ripped rock and concrete for hours by hand to stack under the tracks. I have also tied trees or telephone poles to the tracks to dull myself out.
Yeah , the Trehwellah winch looks like a handy small unit with a lot of pull .Might be something to add to the tool box . www.trewhella.co.uk/monkey-winches.php www.youtube.com/watch?v=81VyT87aK5Y That's kind of what I had in mind when I built the winch attachment for the skid loader . I wanted a small piece of equipment with the ability to develop a lot of line pull as the Trehwellah unit does . HeavyEquipmentForums