Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bolt on cutting edge segments for 955L?

PhilDirt ยท 2012-12-29 16:28

It's been suggested to me by someone who rebuilds buckets that I could install bolt on segments under the cutting edge and between the teeth of my 955L. I'd have to torch bolt holes in the cutting edge and use segments intended for a later machine like a 953 or 963. Cat doesn't seem to publish dimensions of their segments, the dealer doesn't have dimensions, and I haven't found them online anywhere or from any other source. Anyone know how to choose segments without driving to the Cat dealer and sitting at the counter measuring parts? Does anyone other than Cat sell them? I'm also wondering what to do for the corner, I don't have corner tooth adapters. Just weld pieces to the corners?

Replies5
  1. #1charles walton2013-01-02 23:22

    my 955l 13x series has segments do you need measurements and part numbers?

  2. #2CM19952013-01-03 06:21

    If you have to burn holes for the bolts anyway find a set that is available locally and inexpensive. As long as the segments fit between the shanks with a small gap on either side you are good to go. I would highly recommend them, the Cat brand wear nicely even in rock. What I did on my bucket corner's was rip an old cutting edge down to 3-4" or so and weld it to the outside of the bucket to help wear on the sides. My 953 bucket has the large bolt on corner shanks so the cutting edge takes the abuse above the shank.

  3. #3JBGASH2013-01-03 07:35

    CM did you put the cutting edge all the way up to the top of the bucket on each side?

  4. #4CM19952013-01-03 19:03

    No, it's welded from the top of the end shank to 1/2 way up the bucket edge. From my experience that is where most of the abrasive cutting takes place. The loader is at the shop and I have been tied up on an erosion control job for the last two weeks (don't need the loader unfortunately) so I'll try to remember to snap a pick when I go to the shop.

  5. #5PhilDirt2013-01-05 14:31

    Charles, I'd really appreciate that if you could do that. I have 6-5/8" between each shank. Thanks!