I have a Bomag 100 AD that will randomly stop traveling after about 10 minutes of solid use. It only has about 1,000 hours on it. The drums continue to vibrate and the parking brake light does not come on.. help??
Welcome to HEF Zach ! BW100AD - 2, 3, 4, 5? Serial number?
It is a BW 100 AD4 101880002477 2007
Does it stop immediately like the brake is applied when it happens? Does it sound like it wants to drive against the brake? The travel linkage is not worn or loose?
I have a similar problem with a bomag ad3 , when hot , 20-30mins or so it’s almost like it looses pressure on the oil , if you vibrate yourself into a rut it won’t pull itself out of it , any uphill resistance against the machine driving will stop it suddenly ,
Both forward and reverse? Has charge pressure been checked?
Yes both forward and reverse . Pressure was checked as far as I am aware , bad memory now , brakes checked too , once it cools down it will run ok again until warm ! Sorry about the extremely late reply !!! I couldn’t remember my log in info
Did you get it fixed? If not, what was charge pressure cold and working vs hot and not working?
Weird question…any water in the display?
Hi Omal, I have same roller as yours and same problem can you please let me know what the issue was with your one. Any help greatly appreciated thank you
MG2361, I have the same problem as Omal and Zach. Mine definitely has to do with the brakes. You can hear them dragging. It is almost like the brake solinoid can't hold the valve open when it gets warm. Can the brakes be manually adjusted? What was the charge pressure you were referring to above? Any help might fix all our issues.
Welcome to HEF PreferredSteve ! No, they cannot be adjusted. Your issue is most likely electrical. Is there voltage getting to the solenoid? For the brake to release, the controller has to see that you are in the seat (seat switch), then when you pull the travel lever towards you (out of the park position) so you can move it forward or rearward, the switch there tells the controller to release the brake. Charge pressure is what releases the brake. The brake is spring applied and hydraulically released.
mg2361, Thank you for your quick response. I assume the seat switch is the seat belt? If I install a jumper from the battery to the solenoid after removing the original wire, should this act as a test on the solenoid? If that works, and the brakes still drag, how do I test the charge pressure? Thank you for your input.
The seat switch is actually mounted within or outside underneath the seat cushion. A 12 volt test light will tell you if you have power to the park brake solenoid. You could also measure with a volt/ multimeter. There is a removable panel, right side underfloor level. There should be marked test ports there and charge pressure will be one of them.
Is this a hydraulic charge pressure? What type of gauge will I need? I am heading to my shop to review all your suggestions as it is a nice day. So it sounds like there are no adjustments to the system. Just verification that original systems are functioning? Thank you again for your help! It seems that this is a regular problem from all the posts with these machines.
Yes 0-600 psi for charge pressure only. Don't use that gauge for any other pressure measurement. I don't remember the exact spec on the charge pressure but it seems like it was in the 400's. The charge pressure should remain steady at idle and full throttle. It should remain steady when you engage forward or reverse. If it drops when you try to move the machine, then you are losing pressure in the travel loop which is going to case drain. That in turn will let the brake springs start to apply because of the pressure loss. Correct
Thank you for your help. You are very clear in your descriptions. I am leaving for my shop and the automotive supply house to get this gauge. I will probably check out the electrical portion first, and if good, verify pressure. If the solenoid is defective, do you know where to purchase one? You have been a great help. Thank you Steve
I don't think it is anything special. You might pull off the solenoid coil and check it for a part number. If you find a part number, google it.
On the BW100AD-4, the charge pressure test port is in the fitting coming out of the filter housing under the front hood. If you supply a machine serial number, I can confirm that. The serial should begin with either 1018, or 8618, and be 12 digits long.
I responded to mg2361 but somehow the thread didn't take. Here is the model and serial #. BW 100 AD-3 101150511205
mg2361, I just pulled the solenoid off. The valve and solenoid had a lot of oxidation on it. I wire brushed both clean. It seemed to have helped but the rear brakes still drag, mostly in reverse. I had the hydraulic pump rebuilt a while ago but have not put any hours on the machine since completed. Below are pictures of what I believe are pressure line test locations. Please verify. Thanks again as always.
You have an AD-3, that's a bit different.
Thank you. Now out to get a pressure Guage !