Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bomag plate compactor

materthegreater ยท 2022-09-05 10:24

I have a Bomag BP18/45-2 and it started leaking oil from the exciter box. So I ordered a new seal for it and now I'm wondering what type of oil it takes. I found a brochure from Bomag and they call it a sealed, maintenance free exciter unit. So they don't list any maintenance info for it. Does anyone have experience with these? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2022-09-05 11:30

    Standard 15W40 diesel oil, but usually just gets the same oil as the engine.

  2. #2materthegreater2022-09-05 21:57

    Interesting. I had assumed some sort of gear lube but given the speed this spins at, motor oil makes more sense. Thanks

  3. #3materthegreater2022-09-06 12:05

    Pulled the pulley off the shaft this morning and discovered a tiny bit of play in the bearing. Now I need to try to figure out how to get it apart. It's a one piece case as far as I can tell so I'm guessing everything is pressed in.

  4. #4materthegreater2022-09-13 12:26

    A little more progress today

  5. #5materthegreater2022-11-01 22:53

    New bearings arrived, put all the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, and when I started to reassemble, I discovered that I had overlooked the groove in the seal wear sleeve. Going to try to track down a new sleeve. Hopefully I don't have to order from the Bomag dealer.

  6. #6materthegreater2023-04-18 07:42

    Update: found a wear sleeve but it had a 10 week lead time. Then I was too lazy to work on it in the cold this winter. But I got the new sleeve installed and am planning to reassemble today.

  7. #7materthegreater2023-04-19 06:30

    Got it all back together but there is still some radial play in the shaft even with a new bearing. I tested it for a few minutes but no leaks so hopefully it's ok. Is a small amount of play normal with these two piece bearings?

  8. #8Vetech632023-04-19 07:26

    Yes.

  9. #9materthegreater2023-04-19 20:22

    Thanks. I won't worry about it then