Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bond movie

d4c24a · 2012-08-12 16:00

this has been doing the rounds on a few forums what are peoples thoughts here , special build or modified decals are the right way , and fuel filler is correct for a land rover

Replies24
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2012-08-12 20:47

    Well, it certainly is odd. I am curious to hear an answer now as well.

  2. #2j.r.2012-08-13 17:37

    in the u.k. do you run equipment on the wrong side also?

  3. #3Hendrik2012-08-13 19:22

    My guess is that this is a machine other than a yellow puss but cat paid a few dollars to get their name in the movie. Apparently it is supposed to be a 320D:beatsme

  4. #4SeaMac2012-08-13 19:46

    And, the exhaust pipe and air-intake are in the correct place as well. Strange.........very strange indeed!

  5. #5hiluxman2012-08-13 19:53

    Could be a old excavator with a 320DL upper and cab on the other side

  6. #6materthegreater2012-08-13 21:17

    What movie is it in?

  7. #7CM19952012-08-14 06:43

    Is it just me or is the cab on the wrong side?:beatsme

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2012-08-14 13:04

    Looking at it again, it looks like a 320D with a cab mounted on the wrong side. The cab looks wider, and wrong in other ways. I bet it is special made for the stunt they are doing. It would be some work, but not a huge problem to swap sides with the components, though I have to wonder why not just reverse the shot, and film it with the train going the other way, and the cab on the proper side.

  9. #9hiluxman2012-08-14 13:31

    I wonder if they will sell the machine after filming

  10. #10d4c24a2012-08-14 15:43

    no we are the ones on the right side the new Bond movie skyfall yes thats the idea

  11. #11spitzair2012-08-14 16:59

    Maybe it's a chinese knockoff...

  12. #12CM19952012-08-14 18:50

    Jerry the cab is from the newer E model machines I believe. I am renting a 319DL (b*****d machine if you ask me and I wouldn't buy one but it digs a hole ) and it has a different cab than the other C's and D's I have owned/rented. It's a comfortable cab, seems a little bigger. Not the best picture as I was taking a shot of the grid we were putting in but it shows the different cab.

  13. #13Sierra Leonie2012-08-14 18:52

    wow, thats actually pretty cool.

  14. #14390eric2012-08-14 21:14

    All I know is sometimes i wish i could use 3 vw bugs to level my tracks up ha ha

  15. #15digger242j2012-08-14 21:23

    Yeah, similar boxy shape, but compare the windows, or lack of them, in the movie pic. Edited to add a screenshot from the movie trailer:

  16. #16CM19952012-08-14 21:45

    Yep on a second look it doesn't have the same glass and the door is different. Damn Hollywood!

  17. #17digger242j2012-08-14 21:50

    Also, if you look at the pic in the OP, and at the one I added, there seems to be some extraneous stuff on top of the boom and dipper. Something for a stuntman to hang onto? On edit: CAT themselves tweet about the movie: https://twitter.com/CaterpillarInc/status/229943850758705152

  18. #18SeaMac2012-08-15 19:05

    Thought I would add this, Photoshop! I think that sums it up, you can work wonders with it.

  19. #19rabia2012-08-16 04:54

    i think it an odd..:tong

  20. #20DoosanFan2012-08-21 15:53

    I lost respect for 007 when he crashed the wheel loader in Casino Royale in Madagascar

  21. #21shopguy2012-08-21 20:19

    Its OKcause he is digging over the idlers, ointhead

  22. #22pawoods4112012-11-10 14:34

    @DoosanFan: 007 is a little green in the seat, But shopguy made an excellent point. perhaps Bond is born natural on a hoe?

  23. #23TEC2012-11-10 20:59

    It is custom built for the movie. You can read about them on the caterpillar website or google 'cat excavator skyfall'. Tom

  24. #24d4c24a2012-11-11 16:34

    Caterpillar prides itself on designing and building equipment to meet customers' needs. In this case, the customization involved something unique – putting the cab on the opposite side of the 320D L as requested by EON Productions, the James Bond production company. "The cab switch, required for the location of the shoot and interaction between characters, took several months of pre-planning," said Robert Woodley, Caterpillar Communications Manager for Europe, Africa, Middle East and the CIS. "The biggest challenge involved changing the electronics and hydraulics to accommodate the cab on the other side of the machine. Ultimately, two 320D L excavators were produced in Caterpillar's Akashi, Japan, plant forSKYFALL. Cat dealers Finning UK and Borusan Makina were in on the action, too. Finning UK assisted the special effects (SFX) department in technical support and supply of parts for the excavators. At the site, Borusan Makina provided on-site expertise and services as well as equipment, such as generator sets, a skid steer loader and mini hydraulic excavator, for the shoot."