Since everyone reading this post either owns a computer or is borrowing one, I was wondering who was using a computer as a book keeping tool. If so what software they were using. I am asking because I installed a new program that I really like so far. I won't throw rocks at the old program but will say that Peachtree Complete Accounting (Construction) is much better. I guess the big reason that I like it is because it is geared toward construction work. It gives you the ability to prepare reports for bonding and insurance companies as well as banks in a format that they want to see. I guess I have praised it enough, Peachtree is already pricey. Just curious what others use.
I don't get involved in the accounting end of it, but we use Quickbooks. It serve our purposes just fine. A long time ago, when I was less computer literate than I am now, we tried a Peachtree product; "First Accounting" maybe? My impression was that it would be good for someone unfamiliar with accounting, but it seemed to be more like "First Computing, for Accountants".
Quickbooks or MYOB..we just went through all this and ended up with MYOB Accounting (I think) on account we have payroll. Both do the same thing in slightly different ways..not too hard to use. The most important thing is you find a good bookeeper who is currently running the latest programs and has lots of experience. Pay them for a few hours to help you get started and familiar with the program. You can do it yourself if you have the nouse but it really really really helps....IMHO.
QuickBooks for Contractors is what I replaced. I got tired of listening to my CPA tell me how much he likes Peachtree. I did some research and found Peachtree offered one product that was designed for Contractors and had several reports and features that QuickBooks did not. This one product will handle every thing I need from job costing to payroll to tracking subcontractor information, to work in progress reports. I installed it two months ago and like it so far. I configured my LAN to allow my CPA remote access just to check my progress with the new system. So for OK. This is not a comercial for Peachtree, I just wondered what others were using.