Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My truck fuel cost/mile & supporting data

Jeff D. ยท 2007-01-16 15:48

I spent the morning doing some prep. for the 2006 tax season. I calculated my YTD miles, and fuel data for my 1 truck trucking business. My 2006 total truck miles= 97,497miles Total spent on fuel= $44,742 Total gals used= 15,259gal. Average mpg= 6.389mpg ('03 Mack CX613) Average $/gal= $2.932 I was able to collect $22,678 in fuel surcharges (above the fixed $ rate/mile) It figured too $0.23/mile surcharge(all miles) By subtracting the total $/year fuel from the sucharge I came up with Out of pocket (after surcharge) yr. fuel cost= $22,064 or $0.226/mile after surcharge -or- the end result was fuel cost me $1.44/gal after surcharge.(by using my mpg) I haven't enough info yet to gauge completely how I did this year, after expenses, but considering the low miles and my gut feeling, I'm quite pleased. Just thought I share the info for educational purposes. ( Oh, and Squizz, all miles were done without popping any pills, or dragging my knuckles on the ground ):wink2

Replies13
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-01-16 16:20

    Well what about the ratio of tyres blown to grade stakes successfully nailed? :naughty I'll have to check on my skid steer figures to check hours, fuel consumption and number of pop-up sprinklers successfully nailed! . But anyway, you have prompted me to remember to put a log book in the Isuzu for a couple of months. Thats a relief.....but I was serious about the pills thing...maybe the Knuckle dragging was a little bit of jesting...

  2. #2Jeff D.2007-01-16 16:47

    Well, it just so happens I have the tire data already figured, with some other data too. Although it's hard to use the tire data without a few year span, because I don't need drives every year. They'll generally make it a few years, and then wham, one year I need too do all ten. But, anyways, for '06 tires and tire repair= $2264 '06 Preventative mant./services & gen. repairs= $3283 '06 Oil, grease, anti-freeze & additives= $560 that's for the Mack only. (I save $0.06/mile for maint. & it's been pretty close, so far. It may need an adjustment as the truck ages) The IH dump and my other "antiques" haven't been calculated yet.

  3. #3Jeff D.2007-01-16 17:07

    I just went and checked mileage and engine hrs. totals. I bought the truck 4 years ago yesterday.(Jan15th 2003) It has 428132 miles on it now. The engine has run 9741hrs total. (44 mph ave., for all hrs.) I't not even too 50% used life yet. It's funny how equipment is getting towards the end at 10k hrs. and an OTR truck is only at 50%.:yup

  4. #4Countryboy2007-01-16 19:42

    Well aren't we just the speed demon. So how many miles could you put on it before it would be considered "ragged out"? And what % of the hours would be idle time or do you shut it down when your not in it. I know when I was working at my previous job the trucks would sit there and idle while being loaded and unloaded. Some would leave them running while they slept. I guess that brings the question as to the difference between idle hours of a company truck as opposed to and O/O like yourself?

  5. #5Jeff D.2007-01-16 19:56

    I didn't think that was too bad for every hour the truck has run since new.:bouncegri Around 1 million. I could go into the computer and find it out, but I usually fire it up in the morning, and then go back into the house for coffee etc for 1/2hr, then head out. I like it to be atleast 150 degrees before I'll pour the coals to her. I can count the times I've had to sleep in it on my fingers. It doesn't get shut off till I get home usually. My route is 405miles, and takes 7.5-8hrs to complete. No loading or offloading, just drop and hook, both ends, so it's not idling much.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-01-16 20:23

    Now if I can just get that out of my pickup truck.... :yup There are alot of the customer trucks here at the quarry that come in here at 1:00 am and just sleep at the scales :spaz . Truck just sits there and runs the whole time. Now that is just of waste of fuel to me. And since the quarry doesn't open for loading until 5:30 am, I think I would be in the bed sleeping and saving on fuel. :thumbsup

  7. #7Jeff D.2007-01-16 20:44

    When I use to run OTR long haul I had a hard time sleeping with the truck off. I'de hear every noise and wake up. I ran mine alot to sleep. The drone of the engine was like a lullabye, put me right to sleep, and covered up everything going on outside. It is a waste of fuel though, if it isn't cold. They use about 1gallon/hr idling. I thought that getting good, undisturbed sleep was worth the fuel, for me atleast.:yup With the new anti-idle laws, and fuel prices the way they are, a guy might as well get a motel room nowadays.

  8. #8Squizzy246B2007-01-16 21:41

    I told you not to take the little red pills:nono ...only the green ones :bouncegri

  9. #9Jeff D.2007-01-16 21:48

    One pill make you larger, and one pill make you small. But the ones that Squizzy gives you, don't do annnythinggggg at all. FYI, That's from a song Squizz, cept the Squizzy part.:wink2 (you're old enough that you should know who sang that?)

  10. #10digger242j2007-01-16 22:59

    Go ask Alice. I think she'll know...

  11. #11Ford LT-90002007-01-16 23:18

    You mean you ran the truck so you didn't have to listen to the lot lizards knocking on your door :bouncegri The guys that work on towboats and fishboats fall asleep in the bunks below deck with the engine running. The noise and viberation makes them sleep.

  12. #12Jeff D.2007-01-17 00:01

    Maybe he'd have too? I just thought that anyone who would've said this: might've known the answer.:beatsme I kinda figured you'de know Digger!:yup

  13. #13Countryboy2007-01-17 00:25

    How'd I miss that one.... :laugh That one needs to be brought back to the top. :bouncegri