Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom bounce

Tradesman ยท 2016-08-30 19:21

Recently I have had a hard time to keep the boom from bouncing when I am doing a lot of booming down with a lot of boom out. I can control it if I boom down really carefully or full stroke, I have all kinds of pressure, I have tried throttle up and down up is better, I did change the high pressure filter recently. Any ideas Thanks in advance Glen

Replies29
  1. #1Knepptune2016-08-30 19:55

    I'd bet it's your holding valve. Almost like a chatter?

  2. #2Tradesman2016-08-30 20:34

    I don't notice any noise unless I keep going and the boom will start bouncing. is there a way to check the holding valve ?

  3. #3td25c2016-08-30 21:13

    Noticed that on my Grove when the boom is all jammed out . I figured it was a combination of partly engaging the boom lever combined with some boom flex that get's the bounce rhythm started ? Like driving on a washboard gravel road , do ya speed up or slow down for an easier ride ? If I feather the lever she calms down . No chatter or hydro noise in my case . Just a slight boom bounce when booming down . I test the holding valve by shutting the engine down & push forward on the lever opening the hydro circuit .

  4. #4catskinner 102016-08-30 21:16

    SOP on a Terex Tom

  5. #5Tradesman2016-08-30 21:25

    Exactly what I've got going on. I'm not sure but I have noticed it more lately it could be because around three weeks ago I was booming in and out about fifty feet setting 50 lb. trusses on a super hot day so now every time I get in its all I can think about hoping there isn't something wrong. I can't check my valve like you said I have electric over hydraulic pilot controls. Thanks though

  6. #6Tradesman2016-08-30 21:28

    sop ?

  7. #7catskinner 102016-08-30 21:41

    Standard Operating Procedure. Terex booms are like operating a Fly Rod Tom

  8. #8Knepptune2016-08-30 22:00

    Chatter as in kinda chattering on the way down. No sound other then the boom bouncing. Basically the holding valve spring is sticky/worn and instead of opening and staying the right amount of open, it builds pressure, opens, spring shuts it, builds pressure opens. Vicious cycle and if you let it get to bad it'll really p you off on a truss job. If it only does it on boom down I'll just about guarantee its your holding valve. And I don't know of anyway to test it for that.

  9. #9Knepptune2016-08-30 22:03

    Is this boom in and out or boom up and down? If it's bouncing when your running the boom in you need your retract and extend cables tightened.

  10. #10Tradesman2016-08-30 22:05

    Is it a big ticket item? Do you rebuild or replace and are they screw out old and screw in new

  11. #11Knepptune2016-08-30 22:09

    Last one I bought was $180 or so from grove. Unscrew it from the block on the bottom on the bottom of the cylinder and put the new one in. PUT YOUR BOOM IN THE BOOM STAND. You pop that holding out and the booms coming down. Takes about 10 min to install it.

  12. #12Tradesman2016-08-30 22:10

    Booming up and down. I seem to have been on a run of jobs where I had to change radius a lot like picking up at pile at 25 ft. Radius and setting down at maybe 60 ft. I notice it most with a very light load

  13. #13Tradesman2016-08-30 22:12

    Looks like a reasonable place to start, I think I'll call the shop tomorrow and get things started. Thanks

  14. #14Knepptune2016-08-30 22:18

    pricing can vary and there's no warrenty on free advice. Lol 45t grove holding valve. $180. 17t terex boom truck $450.

  15. #15Tradesman2016-08-30 22:24

    Going into a bouncing fit on a job at best makes me look bad at worst something could go bad. Don't worry about the warranty on the free advice I'm a big boy and own my own choices .

  16. #16lantraxco2016-08-31 01:03

    If it's smoother with a heavy load on it, my money's on the load valve as Knepptune sez... could also be the cylinder itself chattering, if a new load valve doesn't cure it completely add a jar of CAT hydraulic additive, cures slip-stick in cylinder seals.

  17. #17Tradesman2016-09-03 08:59

    Ordered a holding valve $ 480.00 but $75 is shipping and about $100 is exchange. Could have got one for a manitex for $180. I talked to three different mechanics two said likely holding valve one said don't waste your money on one, so with that and your good advice I've got one coming. It's real hard to look like a pro with the boom bouncing up and down, and I do all I can to put myself out ahead of some of my competition, I won't go to the city to work and that leaves a limited market to draw from, so impressing my new customers with top professional service is how I hope to gain clients.

  18. #18Knepptune2016-09-03 21:48

    Won't go to the city. Heck that's most of our work. There's money in the city. Lol I don't know for sure that holding valve is your problem but I do know for sure that a bad holding valve will do exactly what your truck is doing. I sure hope that fixes your problem.

  19. #19Knepptune2016-09-08 12:50

    Did you ever get your new holding valve installed?

  20. #20Tradesman2016-09-08 18:13

    It's sitting at the crane shop but I've put in three 12 hour days on the crane and haven't gotten away to get it,it's a 31/2 hour round trip. Should have just got them to ship it to me but I thought I could slip away myself. " good chance for a bike ride" today was first time I had a lot of booming to do, I can control it if I'm super carful but that makes a long day. It got bouncing twice on me in the last hour of the day. Even when it doesn't bounce I can hear the oil surging.

  21. #21Tradesman2016-09-13 11:17

    I put the balancing / holding valve in today, I hope its not just wishful thinking but it seems to have fixed it . I even purposely made the boom bounce and when I started booming down it settled out and I put 90 ft. out and boomed down slow and full stroke I couldn't hear the surging, Sooo! fingers crossed but it looks fixed. The real test will be on the job sight when its been working several hours and the oil is hot. For now thanks for all the great advice. Thank you Glen

  22. #22lantraxco2016-09-13 11:30

    :thumbsup

  23. #23Knepptune2016-09-13 18:11

    Hopefully it is fixed.

  24. #24crane operator2016-09-13 18:13

    Glad you've got it.

  25. #25Tradesman2016-09-21 16:21

    Did my first big job today 61/2 hours in the air and a quite a bit of booming up and down all went well. Here is a picture it was a six unit I think 120'x40' town house with 5 party walls each was just under or over 4,000 pounds

  26. #26lantraxco2016-09-21 17:12

    I do love a happy ending! :drinkup

  27. #27Tradesman2016-10-12 20:31

    Over the last few weeks I have had the boom bounce several time but can manage with careful control. Monday was our thanksgiving so I spent some time adjusting the controller I thought I had it, later that day I set a precast chimney cap on a new house going up close to me ( picture attached " yuk " ) it wasn't right yet so last night I tried again. Today I billed out 9 1/2 hours and all was good no more bounce, easy feathering and smooth transitions from hoist to boom. Hopefully this is a fix. I changed the boom controler over a year ago I wonder if it got out of adjustment as it wore in ?

  28. #28crane operator2016-10-13 21:46

    Are your controller's electric over hydraulic, or pilot hydraulic?

  29. #29Tradesman2016-10-14 07:28

    Electric it's the only thing about the crane I don't like. I've ran hydraulic pilots on my backhoe for 12 years and never any issues but these are always being adjusted. I was told the newer one are digital and feather nicer ,they'd need to be better!