Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom Cyl Wiper Installed Backwards ?

Woosterdelt ยท 2015-02-09 19:02

Ok, got the brakes done, now moved to the leaking cylinders. Bought a kit and was told to install the wiper with the metal ring facing out. I even told the guy that all the wipers were installed with the metal ring of the seal facing into the gland nut on the machine. Now that I'm done and cleaned up, surfing the web and noted pics that indicate it was supposed to be installed the other way. In any event it's installed upside down. What kind of issues will that cause? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2015-02-09 19:13

    Dirt and water will get into the gland. The prudent thing to do is to disassemble the cylinder and install the wiper correctly. You are not the first person to do it.

  2. #2Woosterdelt2015-02-09 19:36

    Ok, Thank you.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-02-09 20:27

    Some seals are made different, just make sure the lip of the seal faces out, no matter how the metal part is.

  4. #4Woosterdelt2015-02-10 05:15

    I'll take a look at it. That would save me some time and a new kit. Thank you.