Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom deflection

Tiny ยท 2010-01-24 07:54

Was doing some reading when I ran across a mention of boom deflection. So I dug up a couple of pictures that will explain it. Grove 5150b with 2000lbs of chart left.

Replies19
  1. #1Per Eriksson2010-01-24 15:17

    This is when you need to be confident with your equipment.

  2. #2goodearth132010-01-24 15:49

    And in your radio man, if your lifting over a wall. Have you seen the photo of the crane laying IN the house after trying to set a pool in the back yard? Makes my stomach turn & wakes me in the middle of the night with a jerk. I had a bundle of decking slide out of a sling & land on the cab when I first started running a cherry picker. Good lesson in what not to do. I'll post the photo if I can find it. Lucky to have lived through the lesson. C Ya, Patrol Man (Dan) Goodearth13

  3. #3liebherr11602010-01-24 17:28

    Those old Grove AT's were tough as nails ...thats still the old Krupp ideology working there .. The new stuff bends enough to make ya wanna puke..

  4. #4Tiny2010-01-24 17:34

    It takes some getting used to when flagging. When landing a load,Wire chokers will damage some stuff we set.So its a little cable and a little boom and so on to keep the hook centered over the load

  5. #5liebherr11602010-01-24 17:45

    Yup:thumbsup

  6. #6Revxracer2011-05-27 12:44

    That must have a pretty darn good line pull.....only a single part'a line n she's tweeked!.....can see the swing away is on but, still a guy would think it shouldn't bend that far...haha!

  7. #7heavylift2011-05-27 13:23

    little cable. little boom sucks big time when setting a load... my last job, the load was close to the boom and the ceiling... little this little that a real pain in the levers. 30 minutes to an hour to set the load.

  8. #8MrKomatsu2011-05-27 20:14

    talk about banna boom.....is that really safe?

  9. #9Tiny2011-05-27 21:22

    Yes Sir it must be , Think that one pictured was a new machine in 1999

  10. #10Dozerboy2011-05-28 18:15

    Thats engineering for ya. I sure they could of stiffen up the boom a bit but that would of added weight decreasing the lift capacity or made the metal more brittle by hardening it.

  11. #11ben94f1502011-05-28 20:57

    Heres deflection Heres the 31000 boom

  12. #12Tiny2011-05-28 21:45

    ben94f150 , Do you know weather or not that has mid point suspension ?

  13. #13ben94f1502011-05-28 22:06

    I don't believe it does because up in the air with that boom it bows looks the same

  14. #14Tiny2011-05-28 22:10

    I know nothing about that machine so I'm full of questions....Thanks for the info

  15. #15ben94f1502011-05-28 22:23

    Its a awesome crane. Boom section are 30 feet because would weight to much to transport. Its basically a ringer with crawlers under it. Like the old manitowoc 7000 was. The counterweight positions it self as the load is picked.

  16. #1695zIV2011-05-28 22:40

    A thread on the 31000: HeavyEquipmentForums

  17. #17heavylift2011-05-28 22:45

    this is a pic of the model,

  18. #18gostr8r2011-06-21 15:32

    It's funny, because the newer ones, since the late 90's or so are designed with the unloaded boom going up and they still deflects a bunch! Our 550 ton Grove has the Mega Wing Lift attachment that helps but there's still some deflection.

  19. #19gostr8r2011-06-21 15:37

    The old 7,000? I have a flier for that 7,000 from '82, showing it at the factory, no sheet metal to cover the drums, with at least 300 or maybe even 400' of main, and a 100' jib doing a test lift of 30 tons, from the jib at a 120' radius. It had a huge turntable too!