Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking for Feed Back

Impact · 2010-01-30 08:01

I'd like to get some feedback on used cranes. I've got a 99 model 50 ton Grove. 110' of live stick. 32-56' swing away jib. 150 tip height capacity is around 9,000 pounds, 170' tip height capacity is around 5,000 pounds. This crane will do most of my work, but it's stretched to it's limits. We're not in the need of "heavy lifts". Our work requires height. I'm looking for a second crane, and would like to increase capacities at the 150-200' heights. I've decided the 110' of live stick won't be sufficient. 135-140' would be better. Most cranes with that sort of live stick are rated at 90 tons. The price tag gets steeper than I can justify. The smallest crane with that much live stick I've run across is a TMS870. Most seem to be manufactured around 1996. Does anyone have any experience with these cranes?

Replies184
  1. #1classictruckman2010-01-30 11:02

    You might look at Manitex's new 50155s it has a 9000lb main boom capacity at 164' tip height, 4000lbs at 202' single piece jib tip height, it runs about $550 000 new on a normal highway truck.

  2. #2liebherr11602010-01-30 12:26

    Personally ..Ive run the Manitex boom trucks ..And to be honest ..a boom truck is not a replacement for a crane ..they just are not ..they cant do production ,wiggly wobbly skinny booms ..nope ..there's just no substitute for a crane .. Boom trucks are only any good for air units ,signs ,loading a few trucks ..but ..after that your just wasting time and money trying to run it as a crane .. They have there place ..just no comparison with a crane ..

  3. #3Impact2010-01-30 12:46

    I've got a 25 ton boom truck. I've done a lot of work with it, but, I tend to agree. I need a crane.

  4. #4willie592010-01-30 12:53

    Hey Liebherr, you failed to give your recommendation of what crane would suit impact's needs.

  5. #5Impact2010-01-30 13:10

    Hey Paul. I've been PMing with him. It's no problem fitting a crane to my needs if you have a cool million bucks.

  6. #6liebherr11602010-01-30 14:15

    Liebherr LTM 11200-9.1 http://www.liebherr.com/at/en/products_at.asp?menuID=106082!8607-0 HA! Impact has it under control ....

  7. #7liebherr11602010-01-30 14:19

    Now theres a thought ...you ,Atco and 25c form a patrnership.. If Atco and 25c has as much money as they do brains ..your set ..:drinkup

  8. #8willie592010-01-30 14:50

    Sweet Jeez LB, the boom on that thing is huge! 328 ft of telescoping boom! :jawdrop Heck, I'd love to have the ability/resources to partner with Impact. It's obvious he is able to keep work in this crappy economy...so he'd make me rich when things bust loose again. Good idea Chris. :yup :drinkup

  9. #9boomguy2010-01-30 15:48

    I hate to say it but i agree with liebherr, i have a 45 ton manitex (identical to the 50) and with its 96 ft out its amazing how much it rocks on its jacks so i could just imagine about the 155. i have never ran a crane so i cant compare one to the other.

  10. #10liebherr11602010-01-30 19:35

    What? ..you hate? ...hey listen lil' buddy ..its one thing to jack around with toy's its another to discuss real gear ..I know where yer coming from and Hate isnt a term Id use to conduct a dialogue amongst real men with real gear ...this aint toy's ..and it aint DHS.. Thanks for the input ..Im not a big fan of boom trucks..more over Im not a fan of working a boom truck like a crane .. After the winch gets rebuilt twice and a pump gets burned off ..the office gets the hint .. however ..I welcome you to Hef ...

  11. #11classictruckman2010-01-30 20:17

    The 50 ton has a counterweight that the 45 doesn't, which may help with the rocking. I'm not sure what liebherr1160 defines as a crane, I have only run a 17 ton Pitman, a 22 ton Manitex, Bucyrus Erie 22B, a Komatsu LC755, and our 38 ton Manitex doesn't seem to rock very much to me.

  12. #12classictruckman2010-01-30 20:43

    liebherr1160 I'd like your opinion on this; I've always believe these to be the definition of cranes Boomtrucks:

  13. #13classictruckman2010-01-30 20:45

    Truck mount crane

  14. #14classictruckman2010-01-30 20:47

    All Terrain Crane

  15. #15classictruckman2010-01-30 20:50

    Rough Terrain

  16. #16classictruckman2010-01-30 20:52

    And Crawler, both conventional and hydraulic

  17. #17boomguy2010-01-30 22:18

    we put a 3500lb counter weight on the 45 and it didnt help. we also have a 38100 manitex and it does seem much more stable And Liebherr it wasnt an insult, iam a boom truck lover and u seem to be a crane lover so its hard to agree with a crane lover:notworthy

  18. #18cranetools2010-01-31 09:52

    Nice photos of real cranes - these are all-terrain machines capable of making many any lift you might have Impact THe yellow Grove would more than do the job but that is new and surely more money than what you might want to spend Have you tried looking at a used Krupp or Demag a good suggestion would be a Demag AC205 or AC80 crane. 161 ft. full power live stick. Rated in the range of 110 tons possible to purchase used at around 300-400,00 in good condition but you would need an expert ot look at you choice - a pre-purchase inspection. check www.cranetools.com

  19. #19liebherr11602010-01-31 15:39

    classictruckman a boom truck ..thought in principal is a crane ...it isn't a crane .. That's why they are called boom trucks and not cranes Every other type you posted has the word crane at the end ..except boom truck .. My earlier comment was based on industry ..no crane operator with any talent spends to much time on a boom truck before being promoted to a crane .. In saying that ..their are guy's that have made a career out of running boom trucks ..in the world of crane rental ..its is the slickest job there .. its not a problem for a decent boom truck operator to gross in excess of a 100K per year ..Career boom truck operators dont even call their units a "crane ". Like i said ..they do have there place ..but to put a boom truck on the same plateau as a crane ...well ...thats just wrong ...:drinkup

  20. #20liebherr11602010-01-31 17:38

    LTF 1045-4.1 truck-mounted telescopic crane... its not a boom truck ..its a crane ...

  21. #21classictruckman2010-01-31 17:47

    Is that Liebherr's new 60 tonner, mounted on a Kenworth? Is that a northamerican photo, or is it from overseas? Any idea what the MSRP is on that one? And what about that 50 ton Manitex? you didn't say whether or not I put it in the wrong catagory.

  22. #22liebherr11602010-01-31 18:17

    Nope its a 41T North American ..The European Carrier is a 60T >>>> http://www.liebherr.com/catXmedia/at/Documents/df742f43-fae7-4e6d-a555-2919187aeec3.pdf Manitex is a boom truck ...sorry ..its a boom truck ...Manitex even says so on its web site ..Boom Trucks .. not to be confused with a crane ..

  23. #23classictruckman2010-01-31 18:24

    Didn't Liebherr come out with a new 60 tonner last spring that can be mounted on a normal truck?

  24. #24classictruckman2010-01-31 18:32

    http://www.liebherr.com/at/en/products_at.asp?menuID=106082!12329-0

  25. #25liebherr11602010-01-31 18:39

    Not according to the website .. Fundametal question ..you didnt ask .. why is this not a boom truck ? Sorry Impact ....We wrecked your thread ... Maybe the mods will clean it out for ya ...If you ask them ...

  26. #26classictruckman2010-01-31 18:50

    its not a boom truck, its a truck mount crane. I've always considered a boom truck to have load carrying capabilities, they were designed to go somewhere, pick up a load, drive it to a site, then unload it for a real crane to set it.

  27. #27classictruckman2010-01-31 18:52

    Whats not normal about the Scania its mounted on?

  28. #28Impact2010-01-31 18:54

    Wreck my thread? This is the best thread on the site!:usa

  29. #29liebherr11602010-01-31 18:55

    You knew it ...why did ya play it down?:beatsme

  30. #30classictruckman2010-01-31 18:57

    that 50 ton manitex is a crane, it has no load carrying capabilities.

  31. #31Impact2010-01-31 19:01

    I've got a 25 ton boom truck with a 92' boom, and a 46 jib. We lift a man basket with it at times. Whenever you're winched up to the top, and you look down the boom and it's crooked as a dog's hind leg...The basket is 2-3' off center of the boom...I'll admit it, I start to hole on tighter, and find myself wanting to kneel down in the basket. The old 35 ton Grove though..Makes me feel much safer.

  32. #32liebherr11602010-01-31 19:05

    Boom truck ..She can tow a tag ..with Via 45T Newholland pintle hitch .. crane cant ...dolly with a stone ..thats it ..

  33. #33liebherr11602010-01-31 19:07

    As long as it cool !:drinkup

  34. #34liebherr11602010-01-31 19:10

    Theres a difference when you on 94,000lbs of steel and 34,000lbs of steel ..ya ..the crane ...dont blame ya ..

  35. #35classictruckman2010-01-31 19:10

    you sound like the MTO, if its got a hitch, its not a crane our 22 tonner didn't have a hitch, they classified as a crane

  36. #36liebherr11602010-01-31 19:17

    Somebody screwed up there and you got off ..It can carry a load for Commercial purpose .. If it doesn't have a plate its a Commercial Vehicle If it has a plate ..its a Commercial Motor vehicle If it towing a tag trailer ..its a Commercial Motor Vehicle unplated Commercial Vehicles cant tow a plated unit .. The towing unit must be plated .. Thats how it was when I left ..that Province ..

  37. #37classictruckman2010-01-31 19:37

    No carry deck, no trailer hitch, no plate, no safety check, no emmisions, no speed limiter = Crane BTW sorry if this is coming off as offensive, the intent is simply for debate.

  38. #38liebherr11602010-01-31 19:41

    Boom truck ...! You have to run a log ...its a truck ..

  39. #39liebherr11602010-01-31 19:43

    Iff i was offended ..you would have known well before now ..:drinkup Your still "Brethren of the Hook"

  40. #40classictruckman2010-01-31 19:50

    You don't have a log book in your crane? what does the ministry of labour inspect when they are on your site?

  41. #41liebherr11602010-01-31 19:52

    Driver's log ... not the crane log ...sorry ..should have been specific ..

  42. #42classictruckman2010-01-31 19:52

    good to know I'm not being discredited for being a "boom truck" operator.

  43. #43classictruckman2010-01-31 19:55

    we don't have driver's logs in any of our trucks either, just trip inspection sheets, your telling me if I bought a tms300b I wouldn't have to do one each morning?

  44. #44liebherr11602010-01-31 20:05

    you really need to get in touch with the MTO ..new reg's will reqiure you to do a daily log book ..same as truck driver's ..

  45. #45classictruckman2010-01-31 20:14

    Usually call them up once a year to discuss things just like this, but the way remember it I don't need to, I can't remember the new regs so maybe your right, but you didn't answer; if I had a 300b would I have to

  46. #46liebherr11602010-01-31 20:17

    Why would you even want to driving a 300B .. And yes ..you will ..Get this .. As i understand it ..all provinces are coming online like that ..with the exception of Alberta ..

  47. #47liebherr11602010-01-31 20:20

    At any rate ..its a boom truck yer running ..

  48. #48classictruckman2010-01-31 20:21

    I don't really, I have a disturbing image in my head of a ball cap beanie being removed surgically any time I see an old 300b

  49. #49classictruckman2010-01-31 20:26

    I'm amazed right now, I'm looking at a Grove 3055 and a Liebherr LTM 1055 3.2, they both weigh about the same, the liebherr has 10 ft less boom and 800lbs more capacity at the same max radius of 120' this is even further off topic isn't it?

  50. #50liebherr11602010-01-31 20:34

    the liebherr gives more boom con figs ..and is far more reliable than the grove

  51. #51classictruckman2010-01-31 20:40

    We were thinking about buying a 3055, but I was turned off by the slow travel speed, guess thats the boom truck operator in me.

  52. #52boomguy2010-01-31 20:43

    Most customers dont know the difference, between crane and boomtruck. They base what they need on what we can lift. I dont say we have a 45 ton boom truck i will say 45 ton crane. I get more questions about wwhy i cant lift 45 tons with it than why i call it a crane. Its amazing, most inspectors have a hard time with the fact that a 45 ton picker can realisticaly lift in most situations 40-45 thousand max.

  53. #53classictruckman2010-01-31 20:45

    yeah don't ya love it when you show up on a site and they think you can lift 45 ton at your max radius

  54. #54Impact2010-01-31 21:21

    Meanwhile...Back at the ranch.. If a crane...or a boom truck..ever pick 1/2 of it's maximum rated load...It's got one helluva load on it. Best move slow. BTW..is Boom Truck one or two words?

  55. #55td25c2010-01-31 22:17

    The Grove TMS870 looks like a nice crane.I see some on machinerytrader.Did you get much snow Impact?

  56. #56heavylift2010-01-31 23:24

    I think you need to pick a crane that fits your needs .... is easy to transport or road... with a minimum of trucks to get it all there... or permits and/or escorts if required PLUS in your budget

  57. #57liebherr11602010-02-01 09:03

    The TMS 700E I was on trucked down the road at 120kph ..and its a crane .. the 3055 is an All terrain Crane ..not a truck mount ..hence the driving speed ..where it wins is when you need a dozer to haul a truck mount in or out ..Muddy grimmy job sites ..or soft off-road ..like the Hydro One job's ..thats not truck mount territory ..its All terrain ..

  58. #58liebherr11602010-02-01 09:20

    Dosent matter ..one or to its a boom truck :drinkup..still dosent make it a crane .. One thing fore sure between the 2 ..even half loaded..on compareable capacities ..there's alot more forgiveness in a crane should that ..Oop's guy show up ....dosent matter how good you are ..He pays a visit every now and then ..

  59. #59classictruckman2010-02-01 09:59

    Yeah thats why I was researching them, for those tougher access jobs, long reach, but when weighing the pros and cons, our jobs are usually far between so a tri drive and if need be a skidder makes more sense.

  60. #60crane operator2010-02-01 20:49

    I ran a 870tts for about a year. It had the 138' main (110' also available). These are a 5 section boom, 18,000lbs ctw. Use caution when purchasing used because there is a Grove "update" for the base and innermost mid sections. They tend to pop the weld and reinforcement plate 4' in from the tip side of those sections. The one I ran was within the 10year structural warranty, and there was a repair/ exchange. They are pretty cheap used because of this problem. It really isn't much more crane than your 50 ton, look at the charts. I set some grain legs and did a lot of manbasket work with it. We ran it a lot with only 12,500 of the ctw. mounted, we could road it with a dolly and that amount of ctw. on the dolly. I also ran a gmk 85 ton all terrain, 4 axle, 125' main, 52 jib, 35,000 lbs ctw. It was way more crane. The 870 had all wheel steer (they are available either way) but the all wheel steer system isn't built real stout compared with the all terrain. A used 4070 won't cost much more than the 870. Upkeep/ maintance on the gmk will be a little pricier. I wouldn't say the road speed is a big difference, the 870 topped out maybe 60 (downhill), but average hiway speed is closer to 55, the gmk max speed is 52, but they ride like a car (really), they ride so nice compared to a spring/ walking beam. You can put the gmk anywhere, and the suspension is great for setting up. The gmk are a better buy. You may want to look at the older gmk/kmk 5 axle 120- 130 ton.

  61. #61Impact2010-02-02 07:16

    Thanks craneoperator. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The AT700D I own drives like a dream also, so I know exactly what you're talking about. the old 300 Grove is like riding in a log truck. X-ing the 870 off my list.

  62. #62liebherr11602010-02-02 19:11

    Thats ,I guess, why they only ran a couple years and were rather cheap ..

  63. #63liebherr11602010-02-02 19:36

    The Biggest whine with the older GMK-KMK model units is the carrier suspension .. It is great ..no doubt ..but between prox sensors and Mega-Trak cylinder's combined with the suspension locking mechanism's.. holding valves that hold the cylinders when often dont hold ..not a big issue ..means the wheels will creep down when she's on outriggers .. there's also the O-rings that hold the cylinders while your driving ..I can remember a bunch of times having a corner sag down while going down the road ..,,Its only a 30 cent O-ring takes about 2 hrs to change .. The Auto-leveler for the suspension ..the proximity switches are forever screwing up or needing replacement ..A guy can get it right manually ..often requires a few walk around to get all the outboard drive shafts rather level The Drive line requires as per manual ..a greasing (dont hold me to this its been a while ) every 120km The Mercedes Diesel ..though reliable ..get some injector O-rings ..they go ..not often ..but its the only thing i can remember that would be common place on those engines .. 24Volt every where Make it a Habit to boom up enough to jack the cab forward in the event of a no start in the morning ..If not your gonna have to jack the boom up manually ...get a box of beer manually .. As far as the cranes goes ..If you can get it there it'll go ..IVe never had an issue with the crane.. Other than the High speed winch/boom switch on the floor ..If you float of center into the boom up in high speed ..the boom with speed up not the winch ..screws you up the first time it happens ..Its to bad on those older model's that they didnt just put a switch for the hoist alone ..rather than one switch for both .. I did have Issues with the springs in the high speed directional valve's ..they would break ..after the High speed was disengaged an inadvertant high speed burst was the result on the next funtion ..thats how you know they are broke ..

  64. #64classictruckman2010-02-02 21:33

    Geez, sounds to me like I'd rather have a new "boom truck" for the same price.

  65. #65liebherr11602010-02-02 22:15

    Geez ...little extra maintainence,grunt work and the "boom truck" guy wants to run away ... you cant lift tow cranes, you drag'em of the road and fix'em there ..Thats why boom trucks aint cranes ...

  66. #66td25c2010-02-02 22:58

    I agree with you fellers about the Boom trucks & cranes.

  67. #67boomguy2010-02-02 23:24

    1 issue that would be a plus for a boom truck is that depending on the carrier almost any city has a dealer for parts and service. Thats a big issue in my line of work as they are being abused in the oilpatch heavily, due to the fact that traveling and hauling is a large part of what we do. We work with a company that has just cranes (all linkbelt) they say they are grossly underpowerd and parts are a nighmare to get. We have very few issues with getting parts for our manitex and hiab "cranes" other than like anything for equipment in the hoisting buisness they are expensive

  68. #68classictruckman2010-02-03 08:45

    Your not helping your case there Liebherr

  69. #69classictruckman2010-02-03 09:07

    Effer model 1750 I'm not sure what I would call this one, its a knucle boom obviously, but it has no load carrying capacity and its not a crane. Its rated as a 175 tonner, it will pick 4600lbs at 100' and 1000lbs at it's max radius of 130'

  70. #70liebherr11602010-02-03 09:58

    In the book it say's "crane or similar hoisting device" this would be a similar hoisting device .. And who ever set that one up needs to go back to "Crane Set up 101 ...and check the page where it says get the beams parallel.. the right rear one is way off ..a novice operator ..probably just got the in house training ..and away you go .. Every trained operator knows this ..

  71. #71liebherr11602010-02-03 10:03

    What ..wadda ya mean .. Men run cranes ...the rest run boom trucks ..

  72. #72boomguy2010-02-03 11:31

    i will just ignore liebherr's 1 track mind lol. That knuckle boom clasictruckman is amazing where did u find those pics? I like how the outriggers cross beams, probably to get full 360 chart. I noticed the new 55 ton national has the same on the front outriggers to get away from the jac mounted on the front bumper

  73. #73liebherr11602010-02-03 14:12

    Funny ..we have defered to Linkbelt for cheaper prices for the same parts for our Grove's ..not that they are any easier to get .. Solenoids,Electrical cable and such ..quite often if the part preforms a basic function it pays to shop around.. I remember when the PTO pneumatic cylinder went in a Grove 700E ..couldnt just replace the cylinder nope ...the whole mounting bracket ..a steel plate on the back of the transmission had to get changed ..for about $800.. a year later I called the shop I had the original one in my hand at Princess Auto ..for $45..a quick look and the replacement cylinder was there to ..for sightly more money ..

  74. #74heavylift2010-02-03 14:43

    It also appears to be rather close to an electrical line

  75. #75liebherr11602010-02-03 14:50

    In away yes ..but its drop line ..off 3phase ..usally shielded ....Its a grey area ..an average person should be able to touch that ....Hes got a good 40ft to the High tension .. You missed the no dunnage as it appears ..but hard to say with the snow .. But then it begs the question ..why the snow wasnt cleared ..dosent matter what you put down on snow ..it turns to ice and in turn leaves a guy open to be a passenger on a giant skate ..

  76. #76liebherr11602010-02-03 14:54

    As I said earlier ..novice ..my brother got the Hiab half day Hail Mary full of Grace course and away you go... When I asked him about the hydro ..He said it was only touched on and the point was not to get to close ..Limits of approach ..I faxed him a copy ..

  77. #77boomguy2010-02-03 15:51

    Its amazing how as soon as its bought from a dealer they up the price. I was lowering a 120' flare stack with a 30 ton terex/stinger the stack swung around and parts from the a2b switch rained down beside the truck, any way i priced out just the switch from danco in Edmonton 3200.00 as i was picking myself off the floor i noticed that the greer made switch had a 1-800 number on the back i phoned them with the part number, with shipping and import fees the total price came to 395.00. A tad bit of a mark up

  78. #78classictruckman2010-02-03 16:39

    I'm not sure his state requires licensing or even training, but this guy runs his own tree service and not only does he operate this crane, but he does it while in the tree via radio remote. He's like me a climber and an operator except he does them at the same time.

  79. #79liebherr11602010-02-03 18:51

    Thats a bit much .. Even the Pat A2B's are not that bad and they have a internal resistor

  80. #80liebherr11602010-02-03 18:53

    Cool ..Id pay money to be there when he's there alone...and drops the radio ... .

  81. #81crane operator2010-02-03 20:20

    That knuckle boom looks pretty neat, provided you have 40' x 40' for your outriggers. Good luck setting that thing in a driveway, it doesn't look like it would even fit in most streets. Forget making repetitive lifts too. Imagine its cycle time from 15' radius to 100'. Most of them are really poor at swinging smoothly, no free swing at 100' radius would be a joy wouldn't it. Probably for him trimming trees by himself it's handy, and insurance on those isn't high, because the insurance companies haven't caught up with the size and complexity of the newest knuckle booms. Boom trucks, truck cranes, and all-terrains all have their place and price range. I sat side by side with a 36 ton boom truck setting trusses with a tms 300 grove. I set trusses way faster, but that 127' main boom goes in and out faster than dead stick and jib gets assembled, and he had a way smoother ride home. Forget taking the boom truck one day to set trusses and the next to unload a 30,000 lb press, the boom truck will just look at that and groan. Boom trucks are faster down the road, but most only weigh 50-60,000. Most truck cranes top 80,000. Tms 870 dolly and ctw. topped 115,000lbs. 85 ton gmk crane dolly and 5k ctw 125,000. 200 ton gmk I think are over 150,000lbs w dolly.

  82. #82crane operator2010-02-03 20:35

    A elevator/ grain storage company I was familiar with had this for a arrangement. They had a 40 ton National boom truck, 140' main. Loved it for pulling up to the job and hanging smaller spouts, changing motors, manbasket work, and hauling pieces to the top of concrete mill/elevator storage. Drive up- outriggers out - out boom and working (also most guys can drive one/ simpler to maintain). They also had a 70 ton link belt for better capacity with some reach. Also had a 150 ton demag. Unhandy with ctw loads, it was older and had a fairly short main boom (140-150'), but had quite a bit of lattice jib (unhandy to assemble and disassemble). They traded for I think a lieberr 90 or 120 ton. The 99 and newer lieberrs 120ton have 171' main and a small footprint and a great chart. You have to have a dolly though and ctw on semi trailers. Also be prepared to drop 500-700,000 for a used one. There is no free lunch. I've never run the truck version but the 70 ton link belts with 127' main in the rts are a rock/really stable, and they guys I've talked to who have one in the truck crane's really like them. (notice how much more $ they are used than a 870, there is a reason).

  83. #83Impact2010-02-03 20:58

    Meanwhile, back at the ranch. I think I've sorta made an absolute decision. Here it is in a nutshell. A 50 ton crane is minimal. A 75 ton crane is average. A 100 ton crane is maximum. A good used 50 ton crane can be bought for $175,000-$250,000. A good used 75 ton crane will cost $300,000-$400,000 A good used 100 ton crane will cost $500,000 A 50 ton crane will do 90-95% of my work A 75 ton crane will still only do 90-95% of my work A 100 ton crane would do 100% of my work. A 75 ton crane doesn't help me any more than a 50 ton does. I just can't justify a 100 ton crane. The cost to own it. The cost and hassle to move it. In my area trying to rent a 100 ton crane out to the general public just doesn't happen often. I'm much better off to hire someone else to bring in a 100 ton crane when I need it. Just not enough work to own a crane that big and expensive. I sure like the AT700D Grove. I need it's twin brother.

  84. #84Impact2010-02-03 21:04

    I've noticed that. The guys with Link belts, seem to have a entire fleet of them. Tells you something. But, you're right...they're pricey.

  85. #85Impact2010-02-03 21:08

    Snickering. Real men have big....rigs?

  86. #86classictruckman2010-02-04 10:10

    Yeah, but like crane operator said the rest of us can get it up faster and move onto the next one sooner

  87. #87qball2010-02-04 12:17

    a boom truck is a compromise. if you mainly haul, get a truck. if you mainly lift, get a crane. you will be much happier with your decision. i have run both, and, if you have to do any kind of precise work, a boom truck will annoy the hell out of you.

  88. #88liebherr11602010-02-04 12:31

    Nope ..I ran a TMS700E for 2 years ,I ate a 42ton BT alive with it ..on site and down the road .. 36 minutes from the park button to having 166' boom out with a 25° offset..the hoist/boom has low/high and Boost.. You'd think the ball was falling out of the sky...Toot my horn here ..but ..roof trusses..p/u @ 40' ..bail them out to 115'-120 ..and return ..under 2 minutes cycle ... At a 110-120kph going down the road ..on air ride suspension drives better than a boom truck .. Id take that crane against anything in its class and rating and come out on top ..everytime.. no question

  89. #89liebherr11602010-02-04 12:34

    dont forget ..you always have that usless piece of radius behind you ..called a deck ...

  90. #90liebherr11602010-02-04 12:38

    If thats what your thinking ..check out the TMS 700E ...of the rear its compareable to a 70T on the reach in places ....over the side a 60 no question ..but .. If you do look at them ..take notice of the winches ..the Axial winch motors are better than the ol'gear and planetary Grove was farting around with for who knows how long ..They ramp into high speed versus the click or snap of the old style ..and quieter ..

  91. #91classictruckman2010-02-04 14:42

    Thats right and I would never have a "boom truck" that was mounted behind the cab. I'll admit so far my truss cycles aren't as fast mainly because I can count the number of time I've been sent out to lift trusses on one hand, but my dad has his between 1.5 and 2 minutes if the carpenters are organized, and our setup time to have our boom up and out fully (because we don't own a jib) is easily under 15min.

  92. #92liebherr11602010-02-04 15:45

    I looked at the charts they (Manitex)are not the best over the side ..With that 700E ..I could do a 300'x100' barn in 2 setups from the out side ,,over the side ..Best Chart ..110+56@25° SWL1500lbs @ 145' That 55Ton Manitex ..best chart ..155+39@30° swl1300lbs @ 110' Hey its an extra set up ..Im just say'n .. Its really funny in away ..these Manitex boom trucks ..Grove did what they could in recent years to get away from the rather large difference in the over the rear and side charts ... Manitex ..is going reverse along that same path ..On the reach 360 capacity is not worth a boot ..Rarely can you do an entire production job from the rear .. .. No sense having a jib on a boom truck anyway ..Can you say fly rod ? ...

  93. #93classictruckman2010-02-04 18:42

    Depends what you do I guess, I'm not sure if it would be possible to do this, but you could setup a litte offset, so that one end is over the rear at 145' @ 1020lbs and the other at 115' @ 1310lbs. I do mainly tree work so you could line it up so the tree was over the rear and boom up(a hell of a lot) and place it fairly close to the crane.

  94. #94liebherr11602010-02-04 19:24

    Give it the old kick ..yep ..been there with the ol' Groves..but like the old Groves ...coming around to the side, a guy had better be on the ball .... No reason you couldn't do that ..That puts you on 2 set ups ..I scaled it trust me ... .but you may have to delay the boom until it's of the rear on the reach ,and again coming back ..the crane would have to boom up before turning that rear corner to the side .. .... makes the crane slower than just high-ball start to finish ..and back again .. Good catch ..I missed that ..because normally they just give a guy enough room to drive down beside it ..the rest is fresh turned ,unpacked ..gelatinous goo ..for ground

  95. #95td25c2010-02-04 20:47

    Older Grove TM800 Meanwhile,back at the ranch I thought about Impact when I found this crane at www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7028366

  96. #96liebherr11602010-02-04 21:18

    Geez....It's just an old whore in a new dress ...:tong

  97. #97classictruckman2010-02-04 22:20

    wow a machine that old, with only 6000 hrs on it! with a new paint job too. Did Grove buy Krupp to get away from that trapezoidal boom?

  98. #98Impact2010-02-05 06:00

    td...Wow..low hours...and they got her looking good. Those are the sorta cranes that scare me though. I'd spect a 74 model 80 ton Grove to cost twice as much in repairs as my 76 model 35 ton Grove. LOL By the way...you asked about the snow. We had about 8-10". It's about all melted. We may get a little more this weekend.

  99. #99liebherr11602010-02-05 13:02

    No ..the underlying reason was to get on top of TEREX ..If memory serves me correct..and to break into the AT market .. The ovaloid boom was a Liebherr concept ..followed with imitations such as Mega-Form by Grove .. Interesting though ..Demag sued and won a class action lawsuit against ,Liebherr and Grove over the "Super-lift" ..Both had to pay restitution against every machine they produced with super lift ..

  100. #100Linkbelt HC2010-02-05 22:25

    Feedback Not to hijack the thread or anything. Do you recall when Grove bought into Krupp? I was running a Krupp for a number of years in the late 90's and a Coles Grove AT865 at the same time. Back then, the 60T upper was a Grove with a Loadwise system and a trapazoidal boom (power pinned fly), however the AT carrier was equipped with a Deutz air-cooled diesel.

  101. #101td25c2010-02-05 23:24

    I was scanning through the crane section on machinery trader and the old TM800 caught my attention.If it has been maintained as good as it looks it might not be a bad deal,but you never know til you take a look at it in person and run it abit.One good thing about the Grove cranes is they service all models back to the begining .Allthough I am sure the major parts like swing berings,cylinders ,etc would be expencive.If it was a little closer to home I would like to take a look at it.Snowing pretty hard rite now.

  102. #102Impact2010-02-06 10:10

    I've been looking for another AT700D like my Grove 50 tonner. Can't seem to find one. I see some pretty good buys on 1995-1999 models TMS700's. And also a 750. They seem to be the same upper as my AT700D . Any input on those models? The differences between a 700 and a 750?

  103. #103liebherr11602010-02-06 11:45

    Did you check the 700E..As i said I ran one for a number of years ..did everything I asked and when needed a little more ....Not an AT though ..

  104. #104liebherr11602010-02-06 11:49

    Grove bought Krupp in 1995 .. Basicly any model prior to 95-96 was an actual Krupp .. Manitowoc bought Grove in 2002 ..

  105. #105Impact2010-02-06 15:42

    Gets confusing. 700. 700B. 750. 700E. I did find one TMS700E. Says it's a 60 ton. Go to Grove's site, and it comes up as a 50-55 ton, but the load charts shows it as a 60 ton...in places. In other laces 55 tons. Must be for different cw's?

  106. #106liebherr11602010-02-06 15:51

    Theres 4 different counter weight config's ..on three different outrigger config's ..but its a 60 ..no question ..

  107. #107Impact2010-02-14 05:59

    Looking pretty hard at a 2001 TMS760E. Same boom & jib as the AT700. Just a better chart. 6,500# versus 4500# with the slider out. That's a plus. Can put two 20' inserts in for the high reach, if need be. Reach over 200' then. That's a plus. More moola geetus than I was hoping. That's a minus. I'd have work for it all of 2010. 2011, 2012, 2013 is what concerns me.

  108. #108liebherr11602010-02-14 08:39

    Maybe Im searching this wrong ..but the TMS 760E ..is the TMS700E ..I throttled it through Google and im getting a wack of 700E's ...its a nice unit ..you'll like it to run and drive

  109. #109Impact2010-02-14 09:57

    Yea.I'm hitting the same thing. Some places they call it a 700E, others a 760E.

  110. #110classictruckman2010-02-14 10:25

    Does anybody see anything wrong with the first picture? http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...760E&hl=en&rlz=1T4FUJL_enCA303CA305&sa=X&um=1

  111. #111Linkbelt HC2010-02-14 17:42

    Outrigger location Those outriggers are lookin pretty iffy Even if the soil is well compacted, I don't think they are sitting at a 1 to 1 ratio ...

  112. #112liebherr11602010-02-14 20:14

    I can see why the guy did that but i cant see the rest of the crane.. looks like hes got alot of the mat on the steel plate .. of which there looks to be freash air underneath .. I know you can legitimately shorten the jacks on the other side ..to get the crane over a few more inches ..possibly feet ..but the tail swing is approx 3ft outside fully extended outriggers on that unit .. The sheet piles will offer some ballasting affect to keep the dirt back .. I dont like the dunnage perpendicular to the bank though ..I always set my wood parallel to the ditch ..the idea is with the long side parallel with the ditch ..you gather more area along the edge ..cutting down your pressure applied to the earth along it.. Generally though ..an opertaor ought to set the outrigger's back as far as the ditch is deep ..

  113. #113Impact2010-02-20 18:32

    I made a decision on a crane. Ended up getting a Grove 760E. I should have it here in a couple of weeks. Like everything, it was more money than I planned to spend...BUT..what's not that way? Saw the biggest hydraulic cranes I'd ever seen before. 350 tons I think. Looks like a mechanics nightmare.

  114. #114Linkbelt HC2010-02-20 20:16

    Tms760e They look pretty good. What year did you decide on? Is it equipped with the finger tip joystick controls?

  115. #115liebherr11602010-02-20 20:42

    Speaking from experience ..they Motor down the road like a scalded cat .. The pilot presure valves are nice ..you can pinch of what you want .. Its just an all around versitile machine ..I loved it ..like Chain me to the seat loved it ..

  116. #116Impact2010-02-21 08:16

    It's a 2001. I guess I don't exactly know what you mean by "fingertip" joystick controls. It has two joysticks on either side. Same joysticks that I have on the 1999 model. Same I've seen on some older models.

  117. #117Impact2010-02-21 08:24

    I bought this machine from one of the Dawes locations. Seemed to be good people running a good operation. The guys on the yard said the same thing, this was one of their favorite machines. From what I've read...top speed of 65 MPH or so. That'll be good because looks like Ill be driving it home. I've been considering having someone haul it in to me, but, it's only 550 miles. I'd guess a speciality hauler would want $5,000 or so. Plus I have a load of counterweight, the jib extensions, and the block. State of Illinois allows NOTHING on the deck. If I could leave the counterweight hanging, I'd get an overweight permit on the crane, and bring the other parts home on a 20' flat bed behind a 3/4 ton pickemup truck. But, I think 16,500# of counterweight would be a bit much

  118. #118TSK4152010-02-21 10:58

    Dawes equipment is very well maintained and taken care of. For the controls grove has 2 axis pilot levers or 4 axis joy stick, never liked the joy sticks.

  119. #119Linkbelt HC2010-02-21 12:41

    It is completely operator preference. For years I ran a Krupp and a Grove with a single joystick on each armrest. I found it easy to run once you found the "sweet spot" for booming down and holding the load on the right joystick. Other operators I have worked with havve sworn by the four levers located in front of them on the dash style. Each lever giving them finite control of a function. I have only ever run the twin joystick per armrest style twice. Once on a Tadano and once on a Manitex. I think they too will give you some awesome load control, I just don't have enough experience to provide decent comments.

  120. #120Impact2010-02-21 12:43

    some photos

  121. #121Linkbelt HC2010-02-21 12:48

    Very sharp looking machine!

  122. #122Impact2010-02-27 21:21

    Going after the Grove Monday. Taking a semi and 48 flat bed to get the inserts, counterweights etc. 25,000# or so. Got all my permits lined up etc. Why do I feel like a criminal whenever I drive a big rig across state lines? I've got trip permits for the semi in and out of Wisconsin. I've got trip permits and overweight permits for Wisconsin for the crane. I've got trip, overweight and toll road permits for the crane in Illinois. Kentucky, I'll just wing it since I'm a local. If I was an over the road trucker, I'd commit suicide trying to deal with all the paper work. It's really sad.

  123. #123heavylift2010-02-28 01:16

    Nice looking crane I hauled about a dozen loads to South Dakota several years ago... Half of them being permited over weight and width.... The real pain was the weight stations or port of entries.... That dang wide load sign.... It was an instant....pull over... lets see your paper work The normal loads or empty were just a wave thru....

  124. #124liebherr11602010-03-01 17:29

    Your gonna love that unit .. Question though ..do they travel that crane with 2 slabs on the deck one on the upper .. she's to heavy that way ? Remember I was saying about the "BOOST" in the hoist and boom ..that ones got the gear winches not the Axial motor..she'll run way to hot running High with the Boost.. watch that .... Any other questions ,feel free to throw rocks at me ..I love that Crane ..

  125. #125Impact2010-03-02 13:50

    People I bought it from are from Wisconsin. They travel with one on the upper and two on the deck. They tell me it "axles out" better that way. I'm not sure if they have overweight permits. My guess would be YES. Just got home with it. Drives like a dream. Much faster than the AT. Not quite as smooth on the bumps as the AT, but, 15 MPH faster I'll take ANY day.

  126. #126liebherr11602010-03-02 18:32

    I always traveled two on the upper one on deck ..The front axles would be over with it on the front.. The drives to heavy with two back there.. Solution was put the hook block up at the front and the rigging box .. Then leave out a little boom ,38Ft if i remember ..If I scaled out ..I Just played with the boom lenght to get it right ..(sometines i had optional hoisting equipment on board ..spreader bars and such) You can pull the Aux head sheave if you sway beyond your overall lenght when you scale .. Dont ask how i had to figure that out .. Id kill to get my hands on that unit:drinkup ..walk right over my mother i would ..

  127. #127Impact2010-03-12 04:40

    walk over your mother? Wow..You must like it. Had a chance to do a one day job with the 760. Drove to a site 15 miles away with two on the deck, and one on the upper. Drove OK. Decided to drive back with all three on the upper. Bad idea. Won't do it again. Hit a bump and did a wheelie. Next trip I'll try one on the deck two on the upper. Managed to get annual o/w permits for Tennessee with the c/w on the rig. Not for KY though. Legally, I have to remove ALL c/w. State of KY says I don't even have to have a plate. I carry a letter from KY DOT confirming this in the cab. Also, if it doesn't have a plate, don't have to report mileage and fuel usage to IFTA? Weird. If the rig doesn't require a plate, and I don't report to IFTA, does the driver have to have a CDL? The DOT laws are harder than chinese arithmitic.

  128. #128Impact2010-03-12 04:50

    The first job. Just as we were finishing, and wrapping the rig up for transport, the cable reel on the PAT system went slack. The little black cable was drooped down, so we wound it back up by hand and duct taped it to get to the shop. Expecting the spring to be broke, we started looking through the service manual. NOTHING on the pat system. Arggh. So, we winged it. Tore into it, and the spring's not broken. All of a sudden, now it's working again. :beatsme I almost know the next job, it'll do it again. And, I'm sure, at the most inopportune time. Any ideas on what to check? :Banghead We got ready to set the jib up, and the two block didn't work with the jib. Ended up found some corrosion in the switch on the jib tip. Hopefully that'll fix that. I THOUGHT I loved the AT700 50 ton. I like this 760 2:1 better. Makes me want to cut the steering wheel out of the upper on the AT crane. :drinkup

  129. #129liebherr11602010-03-12 12:55

    Do you know how to set the length potentiometer in that ? I had a real do that on a Manitex boom truck..what you need to do is with the crane in the rest and a helper ..you need to pull that cable so you get a 110ft length.. All the while you do that ..you have to listen carefully to the real ..your liable to hear just a slight slipping of the spring ..It was the anchorage of the spring that was busted not the spring....At some point the cable broke ..and the reel over spun the wrong way ..goofing the anchorage.. The other thing it maybe ..watch that the reel is running true ..it dosent take a whole lot to warp it and have it just rub the tinyest bit on the bracket..enough that she dosent have enough tension on the reel to overcome it .. we didn't fix it ..warranty replaced the reel assembly .. i helped the mechanic from manitex change it ..he didn't know the price(or didnt want to tell me) ..but he handled it quite carefully If you don't hear any slipping ..put an additional turn on the reel with the cable all off ..then let the reel reload the cable ..carfully...reset the boom length ..take her out in the yard and cycle the boom a half dozen times ..

  130. #130Impact2010-03-13 04:05

    Yesterday morning I didn't know how to set the length potentiometer. Yesterday afternoon, I did. That's the easiest thing I've fixed on a Grove yet. The reel seems to spin freely. Seems to be working now. :beatsme It's one of those things that I didn't really do anything. Why did it mess up to start with? It'll probably happen again. I've got a day and 1/2 job Monday. We'll see. Did I mention I love this crane? Think it's the perfect rig for what I do. The local DOT officer came in the shop looking for a bit of scrap rebar yesterday. Asked him to do some checking for me on permits etc. He's going to check it out. I let him have the rebar for free.

  131. #131Tiny2010-03-13 13:18

    The dog gone wind can some times give you fits with those little cables and reels.Have seen the cables or wires whipping in fairly light wind. Company has a 9000 E and some weights are on the machine and some are in the dolly.I know its not the same but thats how they spread it around to get legal

  132. #132liebherr11602010-03-13 20:47

    9000E and the 700E pretty much the same carrier .. I have to say I envy you ..Impact .. First chance you get pull the lid of the center post and check the torque on the set screws for the electrical swivel ..better yet pull the set screws out ..apply some blue thread lock ..just take my word for it ..its time well spent .. Now while your there ..have a look at the wires and slip rings .. Do not ,,Do not spray just any electrical contact cleaner on those rings ..as sad as it sounds call Grove for the proper stuff .. any chlorine based cleaner will turn the spacer wafers to powder ..you'll have a shop project in under a 1/2 hour ..Thats from one of Groves tech's .. ..you can if you have to should you get in a jam ..use the High-speed solenoid coil pack of the Aux winch to get the swing going should the coil pack on it fail .. The sheave in the jib only goes up on offset ..it stays down on stiff jib ..In the manual they refer to it as a mast ..theres one sentence in the entire book that tells you not to have it up on stiff jib ..offset only .. Pulling from memory here ..but section 4? ..jib erection? ..look for a bold single sentence ..right hand page, inside coloum ..just over half way down .. I should have copied that manual .. The outriggers wont go out or come up if the brakes are not applied ..I got my unit stuck once ..why apply the brakes if your in a hole ..right?...LOL..took me a minute to figure that out .. If theres anything else you need to know ..lay it on me ..I'd run that crane for free ..:drinkup

  133. #133Impact2010-03-14 07:04

    Tiny, yup. That'd be the proper way to do it. But, I'm doing all I can to avoid that.

  134. #134Impact2010-03-14 07:18

    liebherr..Envy me? You mean because you like the crane? You're teaching me things. I welcome the input. I've yet to read the manual. Guess I should. I've been putting the pulley..(mast) up for a stiff jib. I've been looking for wood blocks as I've seem to loose them. Found some oak ones. Used once, now, they're dunnage for other steel. FAR too heavy. Got a local sawmill cutting some 4 x 6 poplar. Those should work nice. $8.93 for a 12 footer. I ordered a dozen. The brakes would have taken me a bit to figure out too. I found out the upper won't work if you leave the key on in the lower. I didn't read that in the manual neither. LOL. Got enough work, I hired a man who's kin to me. Thinking of teaching him to run cranes and drive trucks. Guy's 56 y/o and retired. Used to work here way back in the late 70's. Good guy. Smart enough and consciencse...consensuse...:Banghead Smart enough and pays attention and CARES enough to do right. Gotta train him from the ground up. HE'll be with me or the other operator at al times. Start off just letting him pull levers. Then, let him set the rig up. He won't be sent out alone all summer. There will be somebody around that is familiar with what we pick, and weights radius etc. Found out from the local DOT you don't even need a CDL to drive a crane in KY? Wow. It's considered an off-road construction vehicle.

  135. #135liebherr11602010-03-14 09:49

    Envy me? You mean because you like the crane? That and because you have the courage to get in neck deep with a payment ..Wish i could find that ..Ive run numbers so many times ..

  136. #136Impact2010-03-14 12:10

    I've just got bigger gonads than brains! :drinkup

  137. #137liebherr11602010-03-14 12:26

    LOL.. And a mean streak..theres no mercy in business..:drinkup

  138. #138Linkbelt HC2010-03-15 23:47

    Hey Impact; Do you know how much boom you have to scope out to keep your axle weights legal?

  139. #139Impact2010-03-16 05:02

    At this point I'm not sure

  140. #140Impact2010-04-03 21:35

    Got an interesting lift Monday. Catwalk and conveyors over four grain tanks. Estimated weight: 18,000 pounds. Two lifts about 95 long each. Height is about 85'. Radius is about 45'. Power lines on one side, ICC railroad on the other. Just enough room to clear both. Question for the riggers. Planning on a tandem lift. A 50 ton and a 60. Planning on using 20' shake out hooks. Probably two pair on each rig. The catwalk is designed to span about 35'. We'll be lifting 85-90'. The catwalk is about 8' wide. Eight points of attachement, four on each rig. I'm not comfortable with 2 lift points on each rig. I think the catwalk will bend and bow. My question. Will all eight pickup points keep equal weight if the operators keep the thing level? If one gets ahead of the other, will they keep eual weights? Oh, one of the operators has about 4 weeks experience. But, I plan to be there and talk him through it one move at a time.

  141. #141qball2010-04-04 11:38

    impact, dual picks are a pain. throw in a green operator, and you are buying trouble. i would avoid using shake out hooks. go full sling/shackle to give a positive engagement to the load.

  142. #142willie592010-04-04 12:03

    I agree with q, slings and shackles. Shakeout hooks are for sorting, I'd prefer a positive latchup with this one. Question: why not four points of attatchment, each end of catwalk? If it's designed to span accross appx 35', why would it sag from each end rigging attachment? Seems it would sag once fitted as a bridge catwalk if that's the case. Am I missing something here?

  143. #143Tiny2010-04-04 12:08

    We use rolling blocks to keep the tension or weight right.

  144. #144heavylift2010-04-04 13:18

    shake out hooks... will come out if they get enough slack... you can use shackles instead of the hook... just wire it up out of the way... the rolling blocks will work... if you have the 40' chokers and the proper blocks... For high lifts we have marked the tag lines with paint... the first 20' or so doesnt need painted... then we mark them every 2 feet...with 10' marked a different color. The thing is people have different depth perceptions... one guy sees level the next guy may think his end is low or high

  145. #145Impact2010-04-04 15:31

    You guys are right. These aren't actually shake out hooks. My bad. Each crane will have 2 two cable 20' slings. Each sling will be clevised to the load. Each leg of each sling will be attached basically where the bridge bears on the supports or towers.

  146. #146Impact2010-04-04 15:34

    Even though I don't know what "rolling blocks" are, it sounds like a good idea. What is a rolling block?

  147. #147heavylift2010-04-04 15:41

    snatch block is another term...

  148. #148liebherr11602010-04-04 16:05

    Snatch blocks..= rolling blocks Id be more inclined to rig with 4 ..two on each crane.. Say your catwalk is 95 feet long ? with a single or double splice plate's?..how is it installed ..any bracing from the bottom of the walk to the silo..If so ..where that bracing is ..is where Id be putting my rigging .. If not This is how i would look at If the load is symmetrical ..just even distribution of the weight from one end to the other .. at 95 feet long ..30 feet in from each end Id hook up two legs for each crane..theory is ..you have effectively and evenly cantilevered the middle from the ends ..and picked a relative balance point of 1/2 of the load.. The only problem with this ..is that now you have moved both cranes closer together any off level operation will transmit the load down hill more quickly...loading up the crane that's behind faster..everybody get a game face, (Now that you have a new guy ..a pair of digital fish scales and a 24in piece of 2 inch round stock is a good way to show him up front how the loads change when it goes out of level or when you change the pick points on one crane on the same load ..useful theroy in practice) Once the load goes of level on two cranes the one down hill is going to get the load.. It can be neutralized ..but the amount of rigging and fore planning ..plus fabrication ..its not worth it .. Perfectly honest brother ..Id have two well versed guys in the seat ..and an observer sitting back a few 100 feet to watch the bubble keep it level via radio to the two Op's untill it got close enough that the connectors can take over signalling and connect it ..just make sure the observer knows his job is done and a new man is taking over up top ..

  149. #149heavylift2010-04-04 16:08

    this is a crude diagram as the load is tilted slightly... the chokers will roll thru the snatch blocks ... keeping the tension equal on all the chokers the snatch blocks attach to the cranes' hooks still keeping them as level as possible is the best... if you don't have a good visual on the lift... marked tag lines are the best way to keep track of the lift... I may take 4 lines.... 2 as tags and 2 as markers this method could also be used to stand the catwalk on its' end

  150. #150Impact2010-04-10 21:02

    Wow. I've missed all these posts. Great posts, and great help guys. I'll have to remember the "snatch block" idea. I'd have to say that is the Correct way to do it. We didn't do it that way, just because we didn't have quick availability of all the necessary rigging. It went well (nothing tore up and nobody died). We all had radios. Like Liebherr said, I put a spotter back 100-200 feet away to help us keep it level. The first one was more tricky. This first crane was set between the load and the point it would land, just because of the site. The second crane was behind the load when we first picked it up. There were electric cables (secondary low voltage, not primary lines) and guying cables for other structures. We had to lift it 60' or so before we could work the load around the first crane's boom. The second pick was much more straight forward. Simple winch up, boom over, winch down. All in all it went really well. The second pick seemed to deform the catwalk a bit, but it straightened out once it was set in place.

  151. #151Impact2010-04-10 21:06

    OH, the 60 ton crane had a capacity of about 50% greater than the 50 ton. So, first time we lifted it, we each had 8500-9,000 pounds. Set it back down, moved the rigging a bit, and we picked 10,500-11,000 on one, and 7500 or so on the other. After we were finished, the new guy was grinning like a **** eating possum. He was proud of his-self.

  152. #152liebherr11602010-04-11 05:40

    LOL Operator probably had a woodie a cat couldnt scratch to!!! Glad to hear it went well!:drinkup

  153. #153Impact2010-05-20 15:49

    Knowing how you guys enjoy photos, thought I'd add a few. This is a support tower we built in our fab shop. We're raising it 42' at a time. We've got 1-1/2 42' sections up in this photo. We started off with a 50 ton crane and a S-85 Genie boom. We quickly ran out of crane boom and man lift boom.

  154. #154Impact2010-05-20 15:52

    This next photo show stacking with two cranes, the new 60 ton and the 50 ton. also I came up with a 120' JLG man lift from our good buddy Atco. This complete 84' tower and all 5 bucket elevators stacked inside.

  155. #155Impact2010-05-20 15:57

    Heard about the floods around Nashville etc? Well, that water flows down the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers into the Ohio, and eventually into the mighty Mississippi. The Mississippi is full, and makes the other small rivers and stream drain slowly. So, here's my job site partially under water. Half of our site was on higher ground, the other half on low ground. We never missed a days work. The pit you see is 18' deep. It had about 14' of water in it, and a few snakes. The round foundation is 105' in diameter and 8' tall. We managed to keep compacting sand.

  156. #156Impact2010-05-20 16:00

    We weren't able to compact sand in the first & second photos. But on one of the other tanks we kept forming concrete on the higher ground.

  157. #157Impact2010-05-20 16:02

    Looking down from the JLG. SCARY and I've climbed steel all of my life.

  158. #158Impact2010-05-20 16:11

    Flooded job site and surrounding areas.

  159. #159Impact2010-05-20 16:13

    Stacking the third 42' section.

  160. #160Impact2010-05-20 16:17

    After this we have a platform about 40' long x 25' wide x 10' tall. I estimate 16,000 pounds. After that an additional 20' or so for a monorail system to lift motors and gear reducers to the top or to the ground.

  161. #161willie592010-05-20 18:13

    Wow, that's some really nice pics of your jobsite Impact. Thanks for sharing.

  162. #162td25c2010-05-20 18:33

    Excellent Impact !Thats going to be nice grain facility when its done.Looks like you made a good decision buying the grove.The JLG man lift is impressive as well.

  163. #163liebherr11602010-05-23 22:59

    Cool..Always lile a little steel ..the 700E is a glider on it to..Thanks Impact :notworthy.. You are leaving that sheave down (mast)on stiff jib right ..looks like it up from these photo's

  164. #164willie592010-05-23 23:09

    Hey Impact, I see a Gehl 883 in post #154, is that your machine? Those, and the 663, are dang good telehandler forklifts. Built solid, good components, and mechanic friendly. I'd take a 663 or 883 over the newer DL model Gehl machines anyday. PS, don't feel bad about being up high in that 120 JLG, I wouldn't go all the way up in it either when we had it here...too chicken. lol

  165. #165Impact2010-05-25 17:18

    liebherr...you know..I heard what you said about the sheave being down on a stiff jib. I checked in the manual, and sure enough, you're right. I tried it that way. The cable rubs on the jib somewhere (I forget where). It just didn't seem right, so, we're running it with the sheave up. I can try and crop the next photos so you can't see it next time! Besides, I hate a limber jib.

  166. #166Impact2010-05-25 17:20

    Yup. An old Gehl 883. We just went through it this past winter bringing it back up to shape. New tires, rebuilt the cylinders, new paint, new seat, and several other new items. Spent more on the machine than it would have brought had I tried to sell it. BUT..I know what I;'ve got now, and we love the machine. gotta say though......I think I like the new Pettibone even better.

  167. #167liebherr11602010-05-25 22:16

    There should be a piece of round stock with plain ol steel rollers ,essentially about 8-12 pieces of pipe..that's what the cable runs on ..there's some flat bar on either side that keeps the cable in .. .. she'll twist because of the fleet angle..you run the risk of punching down the sheave bending the lacing's.. I was running with it up as well until i got a phone call from a friend at another company ..theirs was in Grove for a problem ..warranty negated ..but was able to rack it around using the adjusting nuts in the jib heel..and fit it decently again ..talk about a get out of jail free card ..me and him .. I loved running that crane on jib ..petitioned for the 20' insert..didnt get it :beatsme..LOL..at that point somebody thought i was nuts .. You do nice work though man ..If im ever in that neck of the woods I'll give ya a day ..for free..so basicly..nothing changed ...:drinkup

  168. #168Impact2010-05-27 17:10

    I'll take another look at the sheave issue whenever the jib is stiff. I've got two two inserts and I AM nuts. It's good for 4,000 pounds or so with 40' of inserts in it. 4,000# at 210' is a LOT...at least to a guy like myself and my business. SLOW and steady I'm sure. Does a guy ever happen to be in Kentucky whenever he's from Canada? LOL:drinkup If you make it here, I'll see if I can find ya a Molson. I've got a buddy from Syracuse that was here just last week. I tried to get him to ask for a Molson at our local bar. He wouldn't. I think he knew to ask for a bud or a bud light or they'd accuse him of being gay or something. Myself, I LIKE molson, and I'm straight.

  169. #169willie592010-05-27 21:23

    Sounds good. Those are tough telehandlers, and mechanic friendly. You guys have quite an operation. Great pics and very nice work.

  170. #170Impact2010-08-15 06:45

    Ok..I haven't been online much, as I'm working 7 days a week etc. BUT..I love the new/used TMS700E crane. BUT..that son of a beehive is driving me nuts with the LMI. If I leave the boom centered over the cab it's OK. Swing to certain points left or right of center and I get an error code E80 and alarms start going off. In the 360 radius half the areas the alarm is off, half it's not going off. Whenever the alarm is sounding, you can boom up but not down, you can lower the ball but not raise it. etc..and that alarm will literally drive you nuts. You CAN overide it, but, it's really hard to operate two joy sticks with one finger on the override button. I called a service man once before and he gave me the ciode to get into the settings on the LMI. He had me zero the slewing pot. It didn't seem to do anything, but, somehow it fixed it for the time being. Now, it's doing it again and after adjusting the slewing pot again, it's still showing E80 error codes. The LMI is GREAT when it's working right, it sucks when it's not though! I'm thinking call someone that knows what they're doing.

  171. #171heavylift2010-08-15 10:39

    online manual... this may help... it's says your pot maybe bad... http://www.cranetools.com/(S(43dxt4...SlbxnpwFJ10zRrXPe81))/Uploads/cranedr/110.pdf

  172. #172Impact2010-08-15 18:55

    Thanks...Reading up on it now..

  173. #173Impact2010-08-15 19:04

    Wow..Thanks...That's an awesome manual!

  174. #174Impact2011-07-30 14:33

    Thought I'd respond to my LMI problem. It haunted us last year for weeks and weeks. Finally found out the can over the electrical swivel was leaking. We removed it, dried everything out, and tried to seal it. A week later, same thing, LMI acting up. BUT..it hadn't rained. Ended up there was a pinhole leak in the water swivel. When the engine would get hot, it'd blow steam, and the steam would saturate the electrical swivel. Ended up disconnecting the water from the swivel..problem solved. I just need to remember to try and fix the water swivel before winter.

  175. #175Impact2011-07-30 14:36

    I've had the 60 ton for a year and a half now. Like Liebherr said..I LOVE thev TMS760E. I'd sell the 50 ton AT crane and trade up for another 760E. I'm also considering maybe a bit larger, 90-110 ton range. Which crane would you guys look at in that range? Grove? Liebherr? AT? Truck Crane?

  176. #176classictruckman2011-08-01 19:02

    I love the chart of the Grove tms9000e, though I'm still just a boom truck guy.

  177. #177Impact2011-10-30 13:00

    Finally Made some progress on swapping cranes. As expected I couldn't make a deal with anyone by trading. Got my money back on the 50 ton after running it 2-1/2 years by selling it myself. Looked around at many different cranes for the last month before finally deciding on a 2002 Liebherr LTM-1080-1L. It's a 100 ton with 157' live boom. The 1L is the American version of the European design. It's 5-6 feet longer, just basically spreading the axles out a bit. And of course It won't fit in my warehouse without taking it off the dolly. At least not yet. I may just knock the back wall out. It's a pretty complex crane compared to the Groves I've been running. Should have it here next Wednesday. Guy volunteered to leave the operator with me for a day to train us a bit.

  178. #178Tiny2011-10-30 14:12

    Take full advantage of that , That operator could provide insight that the book will never give .

  179. #179willie592011-10-30 17:23

    And pics of new rig are required.

  180. #180gostr8r2011-10-30 22:19

    I agree totally with Liebherr1160. A boom truck is a less than reasonable option for what you're going to try to use the next 'crane' for. Boom trucks have their place and should stay there. I don't run many lighter taxi cranes so can't offer much in the way of a suggestion but do a good thorough inspection of the unit before paying up or you might be sorry down the road. I was a crane inspector for a few years and can tell you that a lot of structural damage can go unseen if you don't look past the fresh paint and new tires. Get all over and underneath it with a good light, check out the maintenance history, fluid change intervals on key items and maybe even send in a fluid sample for an analysis, look for signs of misuse too. Good luck.

  181. #181Impact2011-10-31 17:49

    Not sure this is going to work

  182. #182Impact2011-10-31 17:52

    I guess it did work.

  183. #183willie592011-10-31 21:17

    Nice rig bro.

  184. #184Impact2011-11-12 08:00

    I've got to say this German made crane is impressive. Everything that you ever thought a crane should have, it has. But, it's a much more complex crane than I'm used to. It hasn't left the yard yet. A hydraulic hose got tired the first day after I bought it. Had to order it from Germany. I need to find someone locally to buy hoses from with metric fittings. We're gradually learning what all the buttons and switches are for. The operator's manual is as thick as two sears catalogs. Most of it is coming to us a little at a time. We have one problem to work through still. The Liccon system is telling us we have anywhere between 4,000-11,000 pounds on the hook when there's basically nothing other than the hook block. Might just be an adjustment. Might be a load cell. Still trying to get it permitted for Ky. There's a main counterweight 14,000#. I'd love to be able to leave it on, and permit it. It's a real pain to install as it's pinned in place and has to have the additional weight on the deck to get enough height to reach the first slab. Its the difference betwen running it as a quick set up taxi cab or a semi hauling the weights each and every time it's moved. Argh.