Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

boom pivot pin slop

fastline ยท 2012-03-03 19:29

Working on the old 225. Boom obviously slops around a bit. Very easy to see. I pulled one of the pins and the sides are much more worn than the middle. Here is where I am Pin middle- 2.993 ends - 2.950 Bore middle - 3.030 sides - 3.100-3.150 (ovaled) So it looks like I would have about .200 of movement right there. Obviously I am not going to be able to make it new without adding material. Right now I am trying to decide if it will be worth while to turn some new custom pins to at least get some of the slop out. I should be able to get the slop to about .070 which is not great but better than it has now. Question is, is this a waste of time for little difference? The swing has a little slop when it stops too and to the best of my knowledge, there is no lash adjustment there and any improvement would be in pulling and rebuilding the swing drive?

Replies4
  1. #1RayF2012-03-04 06:38

    Sounds like a classic case for having the bores welded up and line bored back to original sizes.The pin would have originally close to 3 inch and the bores can be machined a few thou above that.

  2. #2Iron@Dirt2012-03-04 10:21

    RayF is right, bore and sleeve or weld and bore are the best. However If cost is a real big problem you could grind the holes (sounds like you can get good measurements) and custom make a pin would help considerablely. Needs to be enough material without hurting integraty of the boom. Have done a few similar repairs on smaller machines to get customers by for now, but not the best thing to do. Harvey.

  3. #3fastline2012-03-04 22:23

    Really tight on time right now and need to get this machine out to dig a pond. I would say pulling the boom and welding things up is a bit out of the question. I was really hoping making some oversized pins would get us by. I was trying to gauge from experienced wrenches if say knocking .100" or more of slop out of that pivot would even be worth doing? I guess I am thinking that little slop compounded by the length of the arm would be quite amplified at the bucket? It is pretty surprising when you set the bucket down and pick it up, just how much that boom moves in its pivots.

  4. #4RayF2012-03-05 00:39

    The boom itself will have bearings in it which are replacable as long as the bores themselves aren't out of round.If it was mine as a desperate measure I would replace the bearings and carefully weld the bores and grind them to suit a new pin. The only proper way to do it is to line bore it. If you deliver it to me that is easily done as that is my business