Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom steel line repair

Mud Dauber · 2018-08-07 11:34

For the second time I bent and broke the steel line that goes to the bucket on top of the boom by getting into tree branches. Is there a compresion coupler that will connect the two halves back together instead of brazing rod, so it will be faster the third time I pull this stunt to make the repair lol? This on a 200LC with a 50' Moutain stick. TIA.

Replies4
  1. #1td25c2018-08-07 20:48

    We mostly use 6011 electric glue on the steel lines & try to bust the tree branches off with the bucket before they tangle in the hydro lines . Seems like it's always that small tree limb that did the most damage . Know how that go's . Wonder what the pop pressure is on the 200 LC . 3,500 to 4,000 PSI ?

  2. #2Skeans12018-08-07 20:54

    I’ve always tig welded them with argon purge running inside, there’s compression splices not sure if they’ll hold up to the pressure though.

  3. #3heymccall2018-08-07 22:01

    Best repair would be a sleeve on the joint after cutting out the bad section, or socket weld on ends and a union. You didn't state the OD of the tube assembly.

  4. #4Ronsii2018-08-07 22:07

    I'd go with any of the above mentioned methods... and maybe think of some guarding you could do to protect the lines.... preventative maintenance is always cheaper than collateral issues you encounter when a machine goes down and you need it now.