Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

boom up and hold the load

Tradesman ยท 2014-12-30 18:26

Over the past two years I have felt my skills improve considerably and as a reward I have gained some loyalty from a growing customer base, but one thing I can't do well is boom up and hold the load I almost always either lift the load or let it go slack, not by a lot some times 3 or 4 " sometimes more. Any jewels of wisdom would be appreciated Happy new year Tradesman

Replies6
  1. #1qball2014-12-30 19:30

    Yep, don't sweat it so much. Relax, don't over-think and keep doing what you are doing.

  2. #2Impact2014-12-30 19:32

    I've been operating most of my life. I still find to be the hardest thing to do perfectly. 3-4"? Pretty close to perfection. On the newer AT cranes we have, we're generally running 2 or 3 part lines. We also have the ability to set boom speed 0-100%. That seems to make it much easier for me. If it's a critcal load, I'll typically tell them to just direct me one function at a time. I get paid by the hour, so I'm in no hurry.

  3. #3Knepptune2014-12-30 19:53

    Booming up and cabling and load only coming up 3-4 inches. And your worried . Lol that's pretty good. Bet 90 percent of guys can't do do that. I hate when people bolt something down then give me the boom up cable down signal. Get it where you need it to be then bolt it. I can slide a grain pipe over, around, and under stuff. But getting the load started without lifting or lowering it slightly is pretty hard. Anything over a 60-70 radius I can't see 3 inches so I don't worry about it that much.

  4. #4Tradesman2014-12-30 20:22

    Man that's good to know seems like the end of the world when I lift a beam off a post or pull a nail out of the end of a truss. I talked to a guy once setting a radio tower and the riggers asked him to boom up and hold the load, it was like magic that thing just moved a foot back without a wiggle, I've been beating myself up that I can't do it without lifting the load and getting that dirty look. Guess I'll just keep working at it.

  5. #5Shimmy12014-12-30 22:43

    I know absolutely nothing about cranes, but I do know this, no matter how good we are, there is always someone out there better than us. Just keep trying to be THAT guy. :salute

  6. #6cecil892015-01-05 19:34

    I used to have a joke about an operator and a woman giving the signal to boom up and hold the load. cant remember the punchline :/