Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bore weld a cast excavator boom end

Volvomad ยท 2018-02-12 17:13

What is the most best way to repair worn out pin bosses made of cast something or other on the far end of an Ex 200-5 boom . My dipper has been getting wigglier year on year but and I had it on my to do list but now it has cracked outside the locating pin holes . I asked on the forum before about expander pins and the responses were mostly negative . Can I bore ,weld and rebore ? I dont think there is enough material to bore and sleeve . Should I fabricate a complete new boom end in steel ?

Replies9
  1. #1funwithfuel2018-02-12 18:37

    Weld and bore. Just try and get factory dimensions. Also, find a constant to measure to. Otherwise you could wind up with a cattywampus bore. Thats a technical term btw lol. Those cracks appear perpendicular to pin locating holes. Were you using your bucket for a hammer ? Its not a long reach, is it?

  2. #2Volvomad2018-02-12 19:32

    Thanks funwithfuel . Yes the cracks are outside the locating pin . It has a standard dipper but has placed a lot or rock armour up to 7 ton with a bucket , not a grab so it has had a tough time . I have line bored twice in my life , both with homemade devices . I have carefully read as much as I could find here on this subject . What do you mean by finding a constant to measure to ? Is ER70S 1mm or 1.2mm wire suitable ? It is hard to get much else around here . Is heat from continous welding a problem with so little parent material at 1 side of the bore ?

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-02-13 06:33

    I would contract an experienced vendor. The guy I use locally has done just about everything. He has a dedicated wire feed that has a very tight angled head for welding the perimeter of the bore continuously. Using the same bearings, he then bores the hole to spec. All i can remember was that the wire was a low hydrogen . But again, cast is not an issue if the right filler material is used. I don't personally perform this work, so I cannot speak from experience. My experience is that it can be done, very well, and with trusted reliability. The constant, that is a point that is undisturbed , equal on both sides and "true." That is the point all measuring must be made from. The last thing you would want to do is center up your boring bar 2-3* off center of boom. Then you would need spherical bearings instead of bushings in your dipper cylinder eye. You'd also dig goofy. Don't want that.

  4. #4Volvomad2018-02-13 06:57

    I dont spend much time on the seat so when I do ,my digging is abit goofy anyway . As for experience , the boring jobs I got professionaly done in the past were very dissapointing . It is just my mindset ,not quiet a god complex (yet) ,but if you want a job done right them where possible ,just do it yourself .

  5. #5ETER2018-02-13 08:43

    Your wire type and size would be fine (I have been using .030" up to 3" holes +/-), would not be worried about heat so much even if your welding by hand (small wire, lower heat and you can always walk away for a few minutes for a soda-pop if you think it's getting too warm ) I think you will know alot more about how your are going to fix it when it's dis-assembled, de-greased and the cracks are properly chased / ground out...would also be wondering how the pin bore is in the stick? Regards, Bob

  6. #6Volvomad2018-02-13 15:58

    Thanks Bob . That sounds encouraging . I am going to have a stab at putting the welder spinning if I get a chance . I have a few weeks work ahead to get other stuff finished and out of the shop before I can bring in this one . I just like to plan ahead , not that I can ever stick to the plan .

  7. #7dabsfabs2018-03-03 05:46

    What machine manufacture. Ex probably Hitachi. Do a few of the of them over the year just weld it with A18 1.00mm wire argon/co2 mix of gas will give low hydrogen wld deposit. They are just a cast steel and weld prefectly fine. Renew the float colar and should be all fine once bored.

  8. #8Volvomad2018-03-05 06:50

    Thanks dabsfabs . I will have a look for A18 .

  9. #9Volvomad2018-03-06 18:48

    Didnt know I was using A18 all the time . I just look for ER70S -6 but it is the same thing .I think .