In the print below, snap ring # 13 is supposed to be .090"-.093" thick. Problem is, the lower groove in my housing is much narrower. The snap rings I removed were .092, .084 and .052. All show where they have been firmly in place in a groove and I think I remember taking all of them out of a groove. At the time I wasn't worried about where they came from because I figured my manual would tell me where they went but this time, that line of thought has bit me solidly on the ***. There's no way a .093" snap ring will fit where it's shown to be placed, the groove is far too narrow, but the .052" thick one I removed from somewhere, will fit at position #13. Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Dirt, If you hold the rings all together you will see that the ones with only one end ground to get a tool in to remove them are slightly smaller and the other two are obvious as to where they must go, the selective rings are all the same size but different thickness and will go in the groove down at the rear of the clutch backing plate. The clutch must be completely together including the front pressure plate, one of the snap rings will be obvious, the Bellville washer and the clutch piston and snap ring. When pushing the piston in place make sure the Belville washer is centered and not trapped so the piston will not bottom so the outer snap ring can seat. when that is done turn the clutch assembly upside down and push the rear pressure plate down and select a snap ring that will keep you closest to the minimum dimension as described in the service manual. Looking at your second picture, the groove immediately above the splined area is not intended for a snap ring, when the clutch is assembled the pressure plate should be well above that. Look at the print again and you will see the order of parts from the piston to the clutch pressure plate and notice the snap ring right up ahead of the Bellville washer and the clutch pressure plate. If you still are unsure I will give you my cell and I will talk you through it over the phone, It can be a bit confusing but after you do a few dozen or more it gets simple. I edited to add the snap ring under the Bellville spring does not have a groove to fit into it simply slides down the clutch drum between the front pressure plate before installing the Bellville spring Mel.
Deleted
The snap ring in question does not retain anything - it is a spacer - hence the required size spec in the manual. Just follow the instructions & all will be OK. :drinkup
That would have been a good thing to have mentioned in the manual, especially for someone doing his first which was evidently assembled wrong previously. All you guys are GREAT! Thanks a million! dd
responding to a post that got sent to my email that for some reason does not show on forum that another forum member posted, The parts diagram is correct as shown at the C end of the diagram the pressure plate, snap ring and bellville washer appear in their proper order as alr stated. And I stay as near the bottom of the spec as possible but I keep withing Borg's specs as I stayed tight on one unit and had to remove, disassemble and reshim as there was enough drag to make shifting impossible with a running engine. A phone call to DD and he is going to reshim a bit looser as he stated there is a considerable drag on shaft rotation as it is presently set up. Mel
What transmission are you working on? I have a Clark I need to identify.
Borg Warner reverser
Shuttle is back in and seems to be working great. Thanks everyone!
Good news! "When all else fails - just follow the instructions" :drinkup