Guys, I have a few questions about boring under a driveway. I have a client that needs me to do some trenching but, I will need to bore under one of their driveways. I do not have any boring equipment, I have called several contractors and they quoted 30 - 50 dollars a foot plus a setup fee but, most are to busy or the job is to small for them so , I am looking at several options to get a 1" pipe under a 15-20 foot wide concrete driveway. CUTTING THE DRIVE IS NOT AN OPTION as per the client. I was thinking about renting a missile from our local rental yard and doing that which would cost about $700 dollars for the missile and air compressor. I had another Idea about taking 1 inch black metal pipe and using a Hydraulic T Post Driver around 1000 - 1500 dollars (which could run off of my skid steer aux) to drive them under the road, almost like the missile bore. Bullet mole makes a metal rod kit that you can drive under but, they want 3k for a kit. I do not do boring to justify buying a dedicated kit or skid steer unit as they cost 5k and up. My question to you guys what do you use or, would my idea work. I could use the Hydraulic T Post Driver to do farm fence work and for silk fences. I also have looked at the borit water drill kit but, at this location there is no water hookup and, from what I have read if you wash out to much material the road can sag / crack over time.
I have this question as well but have not had to do it yet. What I have seen is the phone co, etc. ramming pipe rather than drilling it and a couple months later, a small speed bump develops on the road above where it was rammed, even if the ramming was done quite deep. So bear that in mind, if the customer is that persnickety. I would be calling far and wide for true directional drillers and maybe the guys who are too busy can recommend someone who takes smaller jobs. And informing the customer of the expense of what they want to do.
Get a tote and a gas pump and water jet it through. If you have clay soil it will be easy. If there's rocks you might hate me. Use a steel pipe the same diameter you need to run through, I've done it that far half a dozen times, easy as can be. I don't know about raising the driveay. I do it at least 6' deep...
Explain to the customer how much cheaper the new concrete will be...
Owner may not want a two color driveway.
Bored under 2 blacktop driveways when I ran power to my shop....heavy clay ground. Dug all the trenches first. Old 1 1/2 well point screwed to a pipe long enough to go under the driveway. Pushed it under the driveway with the backhoe attachment on the Bobcat. Tie a rope around the point, pull the whole mess back thru. 3" sch40 pvc, take a good thick cap, drill thru the center, big eye bolt with a big arse washer behind it. Glue it on the pipe with a large ammount of glue. Lay in trench shackle a chain to it, pull chain thru with the rope. Get a friend with a 310c that thinks your nuckin futs to pull the 3" pvc back under the driveway. Go drink beer. Ed
This is a cheap kit we’ve used before: https://www.borit.com/collections/kits