Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boron cutting edges?

nicky 68a · 2020-10-25 14:45

Good evening gents. Forgive my ignorance,but I’ve just been quoted on corner shoes from various manufacturers and one has offered Boran items that are only a couple of quid dearer than ‘normal’ edges. I don’t know what that is? I once bought Berco Qualitough D8 edges years ago and they cracked up the first day in rock.They came to no harm though and worked fine. My application is low impact hard abrasion. Any comments would be useful to me. There are some sandpaper style shoes available from Cat at nearly twice the price of extreme heavy duty shoes,but I’m not convinced they are worth the high cost

Replies6
  1. #1John C.2020-10-25 19:31

    I seem to recall one of the counties here use some kind of gee whiz bang cutting edges on their graders that seems to last forever. I don't know if it is boron or not but whenever the Cat dealer took one of those graders on trade, the county guys always swapped the standard edges back onto the machines. This particular county has hundreds of miles of gravel roads and they keep six graders running nearly everyday doing gravel in the dry and snow all winter long.

  2. #2Tones2020-10-25 20:01

    Some blokes I worked with years ago had Esco corner tips that had a bucket tooth fitted. The shank was part of the tip moulding. The beauty was only the tooth needed changing and not the complete corner section. They were on D9h's.

  3. #3nicky 68a2020-10-26 03:21
  4. #4Welder Dave2020-10-26 18:26

    Boron steel is heat treated and lasts longer than high carbon steel. Undercarriage uses boron steel and the better blades for PTO rototillers use boron steel.

  5. #5nicky 68a2020-10-29 04:00

    Thanks Dave. It’s only £2 more expensive per shoe.I’d of expected to pay a lot more for it.

  6. #6Sanya_Promstal2020-10-30 08:57

    I completely agree and add - I heard that blades made of such steel were installed on Fiat Allis HD31 from the factory and on track shoes. Clay did not stick to them and the doser was easy to clean. This is the opinion of the old operators)