Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bottom rollers seized

juno607 ยท 2017-09-09 14:49

I've been working on the undercarriage of a takeuchi tl130 changing sprockets and tracks and I've noticed that 4 of the 8 rollers won't turn at all by hand or using some leverage to get them to spin. I didn't notice anything unusual before I put the machine on blocks other than the fact that it wanted to track left slightly and I don't remember then not spinning. They don't have flat spots. If they are bad I don't want to put everything back together and have these rollers destroy the new tracks. Does anyone have any experience with oil filled type of rollers? Do they seize up when dry or get loose and noisy? I'm wondering if I need to find replacements or if I can just pull the plugs on these and refill with grease if they're dry. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Hobbytime2017-09-09 15:03

    I have an older model JD 355 track loader with plugs in all the rollers that have gear oil in them for lube, I check them on a regular basis, depending how much I use the machine, why dont you open the plugs up and grease/oil them, see if they are dry and see if they loosen up and if they have any play in them, I would guess if they dont loosen up, something is not right....

  2. #2juno6072017-09-09 17:16

    After a couple hits with a sledge the one i had off loosened up. There was thick black oil inside so I think they should be good to use. There was very little play in the bearing from what I could tell . What's the consensus on replacing that oil with bearing grease?

  3. #3Hobbytime2017-09-09 18:03

    thats one question I have too, it would be a heck of alot easier to pump grease into the bearings than play around with injecting the oil..

  4. #4Georgia Iron2017-09-09 19:48

    When one goes back it will loose the bearings, wobble and you can't miss it. It is possible it has siezed but a lot of mine are tight but roll with weight on them. I would drive it around and watch them

  5. #5DMiller2017-09-09 20:57

    Newer machines have gone to bushings instead of bearings, could have just been debris at the mounting ear ends.

  6. #6John C.2017-09-10 11:29

    What you are describing is normal from my experience.

  7. #7lumberjack2017-09-10 12:02

    There can also be dirt/rock stuck between the top of the roller and the track frame. I had that happen on a TL250... didn't figure it out until I had bought 3 replacement rollers.